Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

21 posts, read 51,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
and by the way... the Nebraska/Texas game was awful...
We'll do what we always do. Pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, learn from our mistakes & move on to the next game. They're still the Huskers & I still love 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:19 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
redbird, aren't you from Okie also?? I think I have messaged you on the Tulsa forum. It is a delimma for me..the upcoming game between the Huskers and Sooners.. Lol, if I had tickets for that game and was able to go I could see myself running back and forth from side to side cheering for both teams....Ha, Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I have always liked and respected Nebraska's team. I remember back in the 70s, I always thought the greatest rivalry was between NU/OU, not OU/TX,

Then in the early 90s, I got to see NU first hand when they invaded Manhattan, KS. I mean literally, the whole section of town we called aggieville was covered in red when the fans came pouring in from up north.

That was back when NU had the biggest baddest O-line I had ever seen. Those big corn-fed boys could push a mountain!

And we have family who live up in Omaha, so I always keep track of their program. Don't worry, Raelyn, there are still plenty of die-hard NU fans out there.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
I have always liked and respected Nebraska's team. I remember back in the 70s, I always thought the greatest rivalry was between NU/OU, not OU/TX,

Then in the early 90s, I got to see NU first hand when they invaded Manhattan, KS. I mean literally, the whole section of town we called aggieville was covered in red when the fans came pouring in from up north.

That was back when NU had the biggest baddest O-line I had ever seen. Those big corn-fed boys could push a mountain!

And we have family who live up in Omaha, so I always keep track of their program. Don't worry, Raelyn, there are still plenty of die-hard NU fans out there.
You know what redbird, another thing about that year that stands out was the total domination by the Big 8 in the final standings.

Here was the final AP poll:

1. Nebraska-11 and 0
2. Oklahoma-10 and 1
3. Colorado-9 and 2
14.Iowa State-7 and 3

I remember before the bowl games kicked in, Iowa State was ranked at number 8, but they lost the Peach Bowl to LSU and dropped to 14th

If memory serves, that was Iowa State's first major bowl appearance. Total dominance-oh yea! I don't believe I ever remember a conference dominating like that before, or since.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-18-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Yes, we have family in Omaha and Sioux City, NE. So, make no mistake, the subject of NU football comes up during every long distance phone call.

Back in the day, I laughed when I heard there were only two potential coach replacements for Osborne when he left NU, .... God or Lombardi.

I have always rated Osborne right up there with my all time favorite coaches. I can't stand Stoops, and I am NOT an OU fan. Speaking of OU, did anyone else notice they dropped out of the top 25 BCS poll?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Yes I noticed that also.. The November 7th game will be very interesting.. Like I have said before I have been mostly into Pro Football ever since living in SoCal and I followed the Seahawks in Washington. I figured that I had basically four pro teams to cheer for in California (now there is two). I also like the Packers, Vikings, and Eagles. I really haven't been keeping up with College ball. Since I have recently moved to Oklahoma I don't know who to follow now.. I don't really like the Cowboys..(sorry guys) and the Chiefs are so, so.. I guess I could cheer my Rams on again since now we are closer to them in location. We used to go watch them play in Anaheim and I was on my way to try out for the cheerleading squad when I broke my ankle in my dance class the day before try-outs. The next year they moved to Missouri... I love football..

Quote:
Yes, we have family in Omaha and Sioux City, NE. So, make no mistake, the subject of NU football comes up during every long distance phone call.

Back in the day, I laughed when I heard there were only two potential coach replacements for Osborne when he left NU, .... God or Lombardi.

I have always rated Osborne right up there with my all time favorite coaches. I can't stand Stoops, and I am NOT an OU fan. Speaking of OU, did anyone else notice they dropped out of the top 25 BCS poll?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing and I am positive that the TV was on during that game at my house

YouTube - Husker's Jeff Kinney TD takes lead over OU

Out of all the rivalry teams that Nebraska played when I was a kid the "Sooners" stick out in my mind the most... How ironic that I would end up moving here.
Thanks for posting that clip and for the great memories. What a treat to hear Lyle Bremsers's "man, woman, and child" again after all these years.

That was a great year to be a Nebraskan.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Your welcome, I am glad that you enjoyed it. Like I said,,, I am sure the TV was blasting that day in my home.. My parents were HUGE Husker supporters and fans and if they were still here on this earth they would be cheering them on... I am sure if heaven has a window they are watching their team... and they would have been teased by me who now resides in Sooner territory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thanks for posting that clip and for the great memories. What a treat to hear Lyle Bremsers's "man, woman, and child" again after all these years.

That was a great year to be a Nebraskan.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Your welcome, I am glad that you enjoyed it. Like I said,,, I am sure the TV was blasting that day in my home.. My parents were HUGE Husker supporters and fans and if they were still here on this earth they would be cheering them on... I am sure if heaven has a window they are watching their team... and they would have been teased by me who now resides in Sooner territory...
I've been away a long time, but I lived in Omaha from summer '68 to January '73. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't followed Nebraska football in recent years like I did then, but I doubt they have had a year like '71 since.

I know lots of people thought very highly of Tom Osborne, but I don't think he was near the coach that Bob Devaney was. If I'm remembering correctly, Devaney had announced before the '72 season started that it would be his last and I always felt that the hugely disappointing loss to Mark Harmon and UCLA to start '72 directly reflected that. I don't think the team was ever the same again. I feel fortunate to have been a Nebraskan during that greatest year in their history.

The Oklahoma game was the only one in the season that made us even a little nervous, as they crushed everyone else on the schedule. Given the way the game went with the lead going back and forth between the Huskers and the Sooners, many of the Omaha sportscasters called it the "cardiac bowl" when it was over and we could breath again.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 PM

Very good post... I like your style. I also moved away from Nebraska in 79 to never return again but I do remember going back to visit my parents in 1995 and the Huskers had been doing fairly well for a few years. I am not sure of the year that Osborne left but the team really wasn't the same for sure after that... I am hoping and praying that Nebraska gets her team back real soon because the fans are amazing there.. It was so much fun as a kid to watch my parents and relatives get together for those games.

Now I get to enjoy my two sons playing sports and I give my parents credit for the love I have for the game. I am not sure if you like baseball but the Yankee/Angel game was fantastic tonight.. My son loves the Yankees and of course I love the Angels since I lived in SoCal for over two decades.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts and comments. Have a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've been away a long time, but I lived in Omaha from summer '68 to January '73. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't followed Nebraska football in recent years like I did then, but I doubt they have had a year like '71 since.

I know lots of people thought very highly of Tom Osborne, but I don't think he was near the coach that Bob Devaney was. If I'm remembering correctly, Devaney had announced before the '72 season started that it would be his last and I always felt that the hugely disappointing loss to Mark Harmon and UCLA to start '72 directly reflected that. I don't think the team was ever the same again. I feel fortunate to have been a Nebraskan during that greatest year in their history.

The Oklahoma game was the only one in the season that made us even a little nervous, as they crushed everyone else on the schedule. Given the way the game went with the lead going back and forth between the Huskers and the Sooners, many of the Omaha sportscasters called it the "cardiac bowl" when it was over and we could breath again.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
I think after today's game we should be worried about October 31 first. Some players will be carrying footballs to class next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha