Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You're not banned yet? We need to work on that. I am a parent of a 2 year old, yeah real frat boy here lol.

Anyways I would say my idea of fun is more aligned to what BRinSM stated above.
Why are you even bothering to post in this thread? Are you jaded that you couldn't afford a home in Irvine? If I don't like a place, I don't spend my time posting a dozen times on the internet about why I don't like it. It doesn't make sense. Most of the people here think Irvine is a great place to live and you aren't convincing anyone of your viewpoint because it simply doesn't make sense.

Besides, we know how this thread will continue with you in it.

1) People call you out on San Diego's "fake" urban culture.

2) You respond with "Irvine isn't a real city, it doesn't have 60 year old buildings, a museum, a hip shop that sells hash purses, and dive bars. Those make a real city."

3) Rinse and Repeat

We get it Mach50, you're a 30+ year old beatnik at heart who wants to pretend he lives in urban utopias like San Francisco and NYC while reading the latest copy of the New Yorker, but not actually spend the money to live in places like that. Give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
haha that's a hilarious post man!

YouTube - DJ Steve Porter featuring Vince Offer - "Slap Chop Rap"

Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Sadly, that post had more substance than all your previous post in this thread combined.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Irvine is visually, culturally and in every way completely not a stimulating place to live. There is no nightlife, no city center, no historic district, art district, hardly any bars, zero character and revolves around mega shopping complexes sprinkled with businesses. But Irvine wasn't designed to be "fun". It was master planned to be safe, high class (keep those lowbies out!) and have good schools to attract those who despise L.A. and want the "better life".

2 words I use to describe Irvine: Antiseptic and boring.
If you think of "Fun" as bar hopping, Irvine is not fun.

But if your idea of fun includes hiking, golf, tennis, ice skating, biking, swimming, rollerblading, playing soccer or baseball or softball or volleyball or roller hockey you'll find all those things here in Irvine more abudantly then just about anywhere. Along with more parks, trails and green belts then you can shake a stick at.

You can always go bar hopping in Newport if that's your thing. In Irvine you can go to a ballet at teh Bren center, a rock, jazz or classical music concert at the Verizon Ampitheater, see a country act at the Crazy Horse or a famous comedian at the Improv comedy club. Of course these last 2 places are in "that mall with the Ferris wheel" you poo-poo'ed. But before you laugh you should know the Irvine Spectrum has become the prototype for outdoor entertainment districts and urban planners from all over the world coming to check it out and copy it, so obviously somebody thinks we're doing something right with it. (Of course the same could be said of the entire city.)

As far as arts and intellectual life there is the whole Verizon Ampitheater which is home to the Pacific Symphony in the summer and the Bren Center, whcih happens to be on the campus of UCI which itself offers a ton of "intellectual" activities if that's what you are looking for, as does Concordia University's campus and so does, on occasion, Irvine Valley College. Lastly the OCPAC is a 15 minute drive from my house in Irvine they get shows and touring companies most cities would kill to get coming through there, so I don't really think Irvine is lacking for any of these kind of opportuntites.

Lastly, if all goes according plan ( I know - a big if) the Great Park will be in Irvine in 5-10 years and will offer a whole new slate of services and recreation opportunties to Irvine residents.

So if you can look at all these things to do and still say living in Irvine is "boring" I don't think the city is the problem, my friend.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Bay Area snobs will never consider a place acceptable unless parking is inconvenient and expensive and there's bums wandering around talking to themselves and hitting you up for spare change. Irvine fails to measure up when judged against these criteria.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Stop the fight Ref, stop the fight! Mach50 is on the ropes and can't defend himself!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Stop the fight Ref, stop the fight! Mach50 is on the ropes and can't defend himself!
What value are you and Escape providing to the thread, besides just disagreeing with my opinion?

I didn't start the thread saying "Irvine is Awesome" nor am I the only one saying "Irvine is boring". User_id asked why people think it is boring and I responded. I tried to be fair saying it was safe. Just do a search on Google for "Irvine is Boring" read...I am not the only one who thinks the place is an anal snooze-fest. Shoot some dislike it so much they have entered Irvine into the Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary: Irvine
Urban Dictionary: Irvine (page 2)

Quote:
1. A bubble
2. Clonesville
3. A place with cops who don't do anything all day but write tickets.
4.A place where you get yelled at for having your grass 2 inches instead of 1.9.
As a poster stated earlier: "you either love it, or hate it" and I was one of those that hated Irvine, it is a twisted place imo. Glad you like it though.

That is all, it is that simple.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-09-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
User_id asked why people think it is boring and I responded.
Yes because I think its important to get to the bottom of vapid claims like "its boring". You were not able to actually state many concrete things that the Irvine area actually lacks. As a result its pretty clear you think its "boring" because it does not confirm to your particular aesthetic and political ideology. But calling a place "boring" for this reason does not make much sense.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Mach50 isn't here to back up any of his claims, he's simply here to take a beating, which he has been doing quite well lately.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes because I think its important to get to the bottom of vapid claims like "its boring". You were not able to actually state many concrete things that the Irvine area actually lacks. As a result its pretty clear you think its "boring" because it does not confirm to your particular aesthetic and political ideology. But calling a place "boring" for this reason does not make much sense.
Sorry you didn't like my opinion of Irvine, but I am not alone.

I don't know what more to give you, except a couple more definitions of Irvine that I like :

Quote:
Irvine 274 up, 72 down
bizarro world! the concept of Big Brother turned into reality. someone's keeping an eye on you. if your grass is a cm too long, you receive a warning, then perhaps get evicted. No property in Irvine you own is truly yours. snoozefest. A great population of Starbucks lovin yuppies. home of Emo kids and "Punk" kids who'd freak out if they had to live in neighboring Santa Ana. No culture, no character. don't dare paint your house Pink, Beige is the official color of Irvine, no approval needed. the whole city is Beige, physically and spiritually. zzzz!!!
"welcome to Irvine, be quiet!!!"
Quote:
Irvine 16 up, 3 down
A strange city located in Orange County, CA. Amazingly bland, boring, and lifeless. A nightmarishly "safe" suburb. Recreational activities include, and are limited to: jogging, bike riding, and walking your dog. 100% culture free, 100% personality free. The one exception of Irvine's "safeness" are the roads.
holy **** dude irvine is so boring.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4328493

Oh that's another thing I didn't like about Irvine; the constant bashing of Santa Ana, Orange and Anaheim done by its residents. Old OC has much more to offer than Irvine folks.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-09-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County