Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 PM

159 posts, read 513,360 times

Advertisements

I don't want to live in an apartment so I'm looking for a condo/townhouse, or better yet a single family home. Even though it is me & my 2 kids I can't afford a 3 bedroom so I'm going to go w/ 2 bedroom. I finally came across a real estate agent to help but I must say this has not been easy. There is nothing on Craigslist, rent.com or hotpad.com.

And I hear finding a job is going to be just as challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
I don't want to live in an apartment so I'm looking for a condo/townhouse, or better yet a single family home. Even though it is me & my 2 kids I can't afford a 3 bedroom so I'm going to go w/ 2 bedroom. I finally came across a real estate agent to help but I must say this has not been easy. There is nothing on Craigslist, rent.com or hotpad.com.

And I hear finding a job is going to be just as challenging.
BTW, have you signed a contract with the realtor? If so, will you have to pay a hefty sum for him to find a place for you; and are you sure that’s the wisest use of your funds since you are unemployed?

If you decide to move here before getting a job, might it not be best to opt for the cheapest 2bd apartment in your targeted school district until your situation improves, so you could later move into a more desirable townhouse/condo/SFR in the same area?

Apartments/ Condos (Budget?):

Two bedrooms to $1500 in RSM listed at hotpads.com:
HotPads.com - Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Sale and for Rent, Rental Houses, Sublets, Roommates
Two bedroom max$1500 @Realtor.com:
13 Carmesi Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S648879 - Realtor.com®
16 Picazo Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S647866 - Realtor.com®
31 Via Prado Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S660113 - Realtor.com®
80 Gavilan 24 Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S655914 - Realtor.com®
(Very Small 2bd)
21 Rosa # 132 Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S660947 - Realtor.com®

Jobs:

I don’t know what sort of position you are aiming for, but there is more resident competition for openings in RSM than in Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Newport Beach and Brea. If you found a job in one of these places, you could still commute to RSM. Of course, it's always best to land a job before moving here.

Which O.C. city has the most job openings? - Handling Hard Times - The Orange County Register

Orange County’s 8.5% unemployment rate is still stubbornly high by historical standards, but four cities tied in June for having the most jobs openings in relation to residents who are out of work, according to an analysis done for the Orange County Register by job search engine SimplyHired.com.

And the winners are … Aliso Viejo, Brea, Irvine and Newport Beach. Each had one out-of-work resident per job opening advertised by employers in their town. The ratio is based on the May Orange County unemployment numbers and SimplyHired’s listings of job openings on company websites, job boards, newspapers, non-profit and government sites in June.

Good luck!

Last edited by pacific2; 07-03-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
BTW, have you signed a contract with the realtor? If so, will you have to pay a hefty sum for him to find a place for you; and are you sure that’s the wisest use of your funds since you are unemployed?

If you decide to move here before getting a job, might it not be best to opt for the cheapest 2bd apartment in your targeted school district until your situation improves, so you could later move into a more desirable townhouse/condo/SFR in the same area?

Apartments/ Condos (Budget?):

Two bedrooms to $1500 in RSM listed at hotpads.com:
HotPads.com - Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Sale and for Rent, Rental Houses, Sublets, Roommates
Two bedroom max$1500 @Realtor.com:
13 Carmesi Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S648879 - Realtor.com®
16 Picazo Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S647866 - Realtor.com®
31 Via Prado Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S660113 - Realtor.com®
80 Gavilan 24 Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S655914 - Realtor.com®
(Very Small 2bd)
21 Rosa # 132 Rancho Santa Margarita CA - Home for Rent - MLS #S660947 - Realtor.com®

Jobs:

I don’t know what sort of position you are aiming for, but there is more resident competition for openings in RSM than in Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Newport Beach and Brea. If you found a job in one of these places, you could still commute to RSM. Of course, it's always best to land a job before moving here.

Which O.C. city has the most job openings? - Handling Hard Times - The Orange County Register

Orange County’s 8.5% unemployment rate is still stubbornly high by historical standards, but four cities tied in June for having the most jobs openings in relation to residents who are out of work, according to an analysis done for the Orange County Register by job search engine SimplyHired.com.

And the winners are … Aliso Viejo, Brea, Irvine and Newport Beach. Each had one out-of-work resident per job opening advertised by employers in their town. The ratio is based on the May Orange County unemployment numbers and SimplyHired’s listings of job openings on company websites, job boards, newspapers, non-profit and government sites in June.

Good luck!
I have not signed a contract w/ a realtor & the one I am working with says his fees are paid for by the landlord.

I am on alimony so I have some reliable income until I get a f/t job... though I certainly do need to find a job.

Thank you for the info. about where job openings are & for the links.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
I have not signed a contract w/ a realtor & the one I am working with says his fees are paid for by the landlord..\
That's great because he probably has a lot of listings and you can keep your money.

I moved here from Manhattan, and was pleasantly surprised at how really easy it is to negotiate the rental market in OC. In Manhattan, I had to pay the realtor 15% of the annual rent. Plus, I had to give the landlord a check totaling the first and last month's rent, and a security deposit equal to one month's rent.

The real estate market is brutal there, and it's not that uncommon for people to resort to bribing doormen, or (rarely) checking the obituaries to find available apartments.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
That's great because he probably has a lot of listings and you can keep your money.

I moved here from Manhattan, and was pleasantly surprised at how really easy it is to negotiate the rental market in OC. In Manhattan, I had to pay the realtor 15% of the annual rent. Plus, I had to give the landlord a check totaling the first and last month's rent, and a security deposit equal to one month's rent.

The real estate market is brutal there, and it's not that uncommon for people to resort to bribing doormen, or (rarely) checking the obituaries to find available apartments.
Wow, that is just craziness about Manhattan. I am actually moving from South Jersey to Southern CA but looked into - quite briefly - moving to Manhattan. That exploration did not last long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County