Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine, Huntington Beach or Anaheim/Anaheim Hills, which would have a better commute in the A.M. to
Irvine 1 12.50%
Huntington Beach 7 87.50%
Anaheim/Anaheim Hills 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,087 times

Advertisements

If anyone would have any information on which of the 3 cities of Anaheim, Irvine or Huntington Beach would be a better commute to the city of Garden Grove in the A.M., I would greatly appreciate it. From what I have read here in different threads, Irvine seems to be a popular pick for "safety reasons." My limit on rent would be $1850. Which city would you pick and why? Any specific names of certain apartment/condo/townhomes would also be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your reply to my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
If you had to limit yourself to those 3 cities and you're considering the quality of the commute in exclusion of all other factors, then my pick would be:

Irvine.

Huntington Beach to Garden Grove would be a mostly local commute. Local = slow.

Anaheim Hills to Garden Grove would involve driving in the same direction as most of the traffic on CA-91 (westbound mornings, eastbound afternoon) then going south on CA-57 in the mornings; won't be very pleasant either as there are a lot of jobs in Irvine and Newport Beach and people living in the Inland Empire taking CA-57 to get to those jobs.

Irvine to Garden Grove won't be too bad since it'll be a reverse commute. The only trouble spots would be CA-22 East in the afternoons near the I-5 connector and I-5 between CA-22 and CA-55 during both the morning and afternoon commutes. The freeway portion of the commute shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes each way depending on where in GG and Irvine.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
HB to GG is going to depends on exactly where in each city you are. Yes, it'll be all streets, but the secondary streets can move pretty smoothly, especially if you're on the road early. You'll have more rental options in HB. Pretty much all the rentals in Irvine are owned by one company which helps keep prices high.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM

50 posts, read 165,866 times
Garden Grove is 8 miles long (east to west) so the specific location in GG is an important factor.

Anaheim (excluding Anaheim Hills) is the closest and borders GG.

Huntington Beach (Main & Beach) is about 20 minutes during rush hour on local streets to western and central GG. It's about 30 minutes to eastern GG. (local = fairly consistent )

Irvine and Anahiem Hills both are a little farther and may put you at the mercy of the freeways and unexpected delays. You will also be passing through the most congested traffic. (freeways = real fast or real slow )

I would pick Huntington Beach or Irvine based on your lifestyle and what part of GG your work is located. I also wouldn't completely eliminate Anaheim if the situation is right for you.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 AM

74 posts, read 188,328 times
Irvine is best for families and working professionals.
Anaheim Hills is best for upper class, luxurious living.
Huntington Beach is better for younger people, and can be middle to upper class depending on the neighborhood.
Anaheim is mostly crummy aside from a few choice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County