Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 35,713 times

Advertisements

Hello, right now I live in Huntington Beach and want to move to a apartment in Irvine or Costa Mesa. What would be a better city to move to? To give you general info on me, I bike a lot and have a low to medium income . Is there more grocery stores and shops per area one city compared to the other? Right now in Huntington there is everything around me but lease is up in Feb and would like to move. Asking around I got two responces "I think you'll be sorry you ever left HB or go to live in Tustin instead".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artraider View Post
low to medium income
Definitely not Irvine

Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Well my hopes is to find a similar place to where I am at now, right now I am in a two bedroom apt with 4 people and I have seen that off and on in ad's for Irvine and the rent ends up being with utilities 420 or so.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Definitely not Irvine
Escape is right.

Everything is more expensive in Irvine. Gas. Food. Dinner out. Everything. If you living on a low ro middle income, Coasta Mesa would be a better bet.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

What part of Costa Mesa would be good, to avoid slum areas.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM

or what are the good areas?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artraider View Post
or what are the good areas?
Costa Mesa is very hit or miss. Some areas are OK but 1/2 mile down the road might as well be Santa Ana. Post some specific cross streets if you find something you're interested in.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Along S.Harbor Blvd and Sunflower is what I know the most of visiting the city, I have gone farther south into S. Harbor Blvd but not much. Originally I am from Wisconsin, so I really don't know the housing zones terribly well but do want to move from HB still.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 94,774 times
Hey artraider,

What area of HB are you in right now? I'm sure you can find a very comprobable place in Costa Mesa. The key to CM seems to be keeping on the east side of the 55/newport blvd. But, lets be real here, this is OC and there aren't that many places that are total slums.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:52 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCADA View Post
Hey artraider,

What area of HB are you in right now? I'm sure you can find a very comprobable place in Costa Mesa. The key to CM seems to be keeping on the east side of the 55/newport blvd. But, lets be real here, this is OC and there aren't that many places that are total slums.
Hmmmm.....I don't think so. The vast majority of the city lies to the west of 55/Newport Blvd.....no criticism to the part that lies to the east but it is a very narrow strip and not exactly cheap.

To the OP:

Probably the most notorious area in Costa Mesa in my experience would be along Victoria Ave. on the west side of the city (I believe it becomes Hamilton upon crossing the river into Huntington Beach.) Specifically, Shalimar Place, though I heard it has improved over the past few years.
But there are also very nice areas on the west side too.

The thing is, if you are on a low-to-medium income budget, you probably won't be able to live on the far south side where the bluffs overlook Newport Beach, nor some cute rinky-dink house or condo/apt. that has some high price tag on it simply because it is cute and on the east side.

There are plenty of places in neighborhoods in Costa Mesa that don't look all that great, yet will serve your needs and not put you in any real danger.

I just think you will have a much better chance of finding something decent and at your price range if you don't limit yourself to the far east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County