Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,291,265 times

Advertisements

If this bothers you then you should probably move to the middle of nowhere and live off the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
We had a smart meter installed a year ago. Our bill went down. Considerably.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 PM

44 posts, read 190,907 times
On Friday, I took a look at my meter and noticed that SCE had stopped by. They hung a tag that says to the installers, do not install the Smart Meter. 5 different neighbors around me had the same tag.

Just wanted to share with the group that you can opt out of this program. If you don't want the Smart Meter installed, call your electric company and tell them; they will add you to the delay/opt-out list.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
If you wear your tin foil hat and fuzzy green ear muffs, you will be fully protected. Do not worry about it.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
So this should bother me: Every 15 minutes a small transmitter, mounted inside the electric meter that's hanging on the far wall outside of my house, sends a quick burst of data to a satellite.

But this shouldn't: Holding a transmitter next to my head while I *** my ass off on a cellphone.

I don't own or use cellphones, so I'm not going to spend much time getting the agita over this insidious new electric meter.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 846,424 times
Thanks for the information firsttimehousehunter.

Ignore the negativity, sarcasm, and childishness that is so often displayed on this site by supposed adults.

Some intelligent, rational people do know that you were coming from a good place with your intentions and really appreciate you taking the time to inform people of this data.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,899,632 times
I've had my smart meter for several months now, and I love it..! I can go on the computer and see exactly how much power I used yesterday, by the hour. You can look at it hour by hour, day by day, week by week, or month by month.
I tell them how much I want to pay every month, and I get a weekly email telling me how much above or below I am compared to the amount I specified, so I can regulate my useage.
My bill has gone down a lot since it was installed, because I have control of my useage...
Always lots of black helicopters flying around whenever something new comes out. Listen to all the fear mongers and we would all be still riding horses.........

Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM

590 posts, read 1,250,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I've had my smart meter for several months now, and I love it..! I can go on the computer and see exactly how much power I used yesterday, by the hour. You can look at it hour by hour, day by day, week by week, or month by month.
I tell them how much I want to pay every month, and I get a weekly email telling me how much above or below I am compared to the amount I specified, so I can regulate my useage.
My bill has gone down a lot since it was installed, because I have control of my useage...
Always lots of black helicopters flying around whenever something new comes out. Listen to all the fear mongers and we would all be still riding horses.........

did I miss..or toss..the notice from SCE that tells how to check usuage etc?? as I would love to do it..
after reading an article in the paper..I gathered that one reason they started this "smart" meter thingie is so they can tell what time of day your usuage is used...and they will charge more for hours like 2pm to 7pm when I assume the businesses etc need the power..

so one thing I have done is changed the time our pool filter comes on..to avoid peak, I think expensive hours...don't think the pool cares..I chose way early morning...like 5am...also have a newish pool guy who told us most people run their filters WAY more hours than needed..seems to me years ago I was told an hour per 10 degrees of heat..ie..when it is say 90 it should run 9 hours...this new guy said that is crazy..so we gradually decreased the number of hours..now it is on about 4 hours per 24..and our pool is always sparkling clean (increased usuage can affect how many hours you need,,as well as size of pool...ours is pretty big...but rarely used)...once he told me to decrease the hours the SCE bill started to be lower...much lower..we also ration the A/C...not the all day all night that many folks go by...max low is 78..obviously when it is really hot..it runs longer...I would have to check old bills..but our bill is less than half of our next door neighboors..tho their house feels like a walk in freezer!!

now if we could do something about the water bills!!....live in Lemon Heights...we "own" our water company..also have half an acre with 12 sprinkler stations...those bills are getting higher and higher..

again..how do I look up our electric info..thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,430,663 times
Welcome to the scarcity mentality. A plague spreading all over the land. A new "era of limits."

"Sweater speeches" and all that.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM

44 posts, read 190,907 times
Press Release regarding PG&E beginning removal of Smart Meters due to Health Effects

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Joshua Hart, StopSmartMeters.Org
Tuesday, November 1st 2011 info@stopsmartmeters.org

PG&E BEGINS REMOVING ‘SMART’ METERS DUE TO HEALTH EFFECTS
Widening Call for Immediate Return of Analogs; Disconnection of “Mesh” Wireless Network

SANTA CRUZ, CA.—Just as PG&E enters the final phase of its deployment of wireless “smart” meters in California, the largest of the state’s Investor Owned Utilities (IOU’s) has reversed course, quietly beginning to replace the ‘smart’ meters of those reporting health impacts with the old trusty analog version. Consumer rights and health groups immediately seized on the news, demanding that millions of Californians unhappy with their new wireless meters get their analogs returned immediately at no cost.

‘Smart’ meters are new wireless utility meters being installed as part of the “smart” grid initiative, spearheaded by technology firms and backed by the Obama administration and the Department of Energy. Promises ranging from lower utility bills to enhanced renewable generation capacity have failed to materialize, with widespread reports of higher bills, privacy violations, fires and explosions, and commonly reported health impacts such as headaches, nausea, tinnitus, and heart problems associated with powerful wireless transmissions. Widely disparate political groups- from members of the Green Party to the Tea Party and Occupy protesters have attacked the program, and dozens of grassroots organizations have sprouted up over the past several months to fight what they call an undemocratic, unconstitutional and dangerous assault on people in their own homes and neighborhoods. Dozens of people have been detained or arrested for peaceful civil disobedience and even simply speaking out against deployments.[1]

In California, more than 47 cities and counties have demanded a halt to halt installation, and a dozen local governments have passed laws prohibiting the controversial technology. [2] The ‘smart’ meter issue has further angered a public already seething at the utilities over repeated gas explosions, safety breaches at nuclear reactors, and an increasingly extortionate rate structure. Word of California’s ‘smart’ meter nightmare has spread across the country and around the world, prompting some utilities to place smart meter plans on hold, and recently Nevada’s PUC to call for investigations into the health effects and other smart meter problems.[3]

Now in a dramatic turnaround that could signal the beginning of a widespread recall of wireless ‘smart’ meters, on October 28th PG&E re-installed a classic spinning disc analog meter on the home of Santa Cruz, CA resident Caitlin Phillips, who had been suffering headaches and other symptoms from her ‘smart’ meter. The move comes in response to verbal directives from the California Public Utilities Commission President Michael Peevey, who recently told members of the public that the utility “will provide for you to go back to the analog meter if that’s your choice.” The CPUC has been slow to respond to thousands of ordinary citizens reporting health effects from the new meters.

When a Wellington Energy installer (contracted with PG&E) came to install a smart meter at her home, Caitlin asked the installer to get off her property and not install, because of what a neighbor had told her about possible health damage and privacy violations. “When I returned home later, I discovered a smart meter on my house. That night I awoke to severe anxiety, headache, and buzzing in my teeth, and realized the new smart meter was on the other side of the wall from my bed.” Caitlin reported her experience to PG&E and the CPUC, who both declined to rectify the situation. When the symptoms persisted, Caitlin sought the assistance of the Scotts Valley based group Stop Smart Meters! who provided an analog meter and referred her to a professional who could help her remove her ‘smart’ meter. As soon as the analog was installed, Caitlin’s symptoms disappeared.

Frustrated and outraged about her treatment by the utility and the PUC, Caitlin travelled to San Francisco to speak at a commission meeting on Oct. 20th. About a week later, PG&E crews were at her house replacing her temporary analog meter with a brand new official PG&E analog meter. This is believed to be the first time PG&E have willingly replaced an analog meter on the home of someone suffering from health effects.[4]

An “opt-out” proceeding overseen by an Administrative Law Judge is underway at the CA Public Utilities Commission, yet those suffering (in some cases severe) health impacts have been stuck in limbo as utilities refuse to remove the harmful meters upon request- until now.

“There are hundreds of thousands- if not millions- of people suffering in their homes from forced ‘smart’ meter radiation,” said Joshua Hart, Director of the grassroots organization Stop Smart Meters! “The utilities and PUC’s must respond promptly to all requests that analogs be returned. The alternative is that people will increasingly turn to independent professionals to remove unwanted ‘smart’ meters from their homes, a reasonable action we assert is within our legal rights. Protecting your family’s health is not tampering.”

PG&E and other utilities have also been responding to health complaints by replacing wireless ‘smart’ meters with digital meters that are “wireless-ready.” These digital meters have been associated with health problems from “dirty electricity” frequencies that pass into a home via the electrical wiring. These “trojan horse” meters have been roundly rejected by those who report continuing health impacts after installation. Susan Brinchman, Director of San Diego based Center for Electrosmog Prevention. said “At this point, the burden of responsibility is on the utilities to demonstrate that any new meter they want to install on our homes is safe. Communities have the right to retain analog meters at no extra charge. Period.”
~end~

[1] 2 Arrests At PG&E SmartMeter Protest In Marin County « CBS San Francisco

[2] Full list of opposed local governments: CA Local Governments On Board | Stop Smart Meters!

[3] NV Energy's smart meters to be investigated - Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011 | 4:04 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

[4] Video of the switchout can be viewed at:
PG&E puts analog meter back - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County