Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times

Advertisements

Santa ana? Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Santa ana? Good luck with that.
brah, i dont think santa ana is worse than detroit, where i currently work.

also, its just work. im not living there.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

It's not that bad. But consider some folks don't go past the Orange Curtain so this is all they know with nothing than what's behind the curtain to compare to, it's a small view.

Anyway, downtown Santa Ana has been trying to revitalize the area and to some extent it has with these new lofts that were going for around a million some years ago and now have dropped to less than 400k, jokes on whoever bought into it. It has attracted young artists, actually quite a few of them, so it's not like every other person walking down the sidewalk is a gang-banger with a few people wearing a hood in fear, running for safety.

Now that I think about it, it's turned into, somewhat of a hipster enclave.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

I can attest Santa Ana's no Detroit.. more like Warren with more minorities..

Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I work in Detroit and frequently work/live in Santa Ana. We lived in Santa Ana for 9 years with 5 children and enjoyed it very much. Lots of very nice down to earth peoole. A neat mix of people. Our neighbors included millionaires who owned successful businesses, laborers who spoke little english, school teachers, county workers, lawyers, a psychairtist, lots of enterpurneurs at various levels of success, a little bit of everything all mixed in. (A coule of drug delaers as well for a while until the neibors baded together and chased them out).

LIke Detroit, Santa ANa has its good parts and bad parts. There are pocket neighborhoods that are terrific (simlar to Palmer woods, Indian Villiage and the University Neighborhood). There are many fine places to live and work, howevre, like Detroit, the schools are a problem (although there are more good alternative options in Santa Ana). However if you do not have kids, you should not have any problem living in certain parts of the City. Even with kids, it can be fine.

IN Santa Ana, I walked from home (French Park) to my office downtown (near the Federal COurt house) both day and night, including late at night and I never had any trouble. My wife and I often walked downtown for dinner or drinks and other that a couple of occaisions where hookers proposisiotined me/us, we never encountered anything wierd or scary. When I work in Califronai now (about 15 weeks a year) I could pretty much stay anywhere, but I choose to live in Santa Ana when I am there. I enjoy the city, although I like Old Town Orange and Silverado Canyon more.

Just like Detroit, You will hear all kinds of wild things from negative nellies who have never lived in Santa Ana and who rarely or never go into the city at all. People love to repeat really dramatic rumours while talking around the office water cooler. Usually those stories start with "My uncle's sister . . . . or My sisters father works with a a guy who. . . " That tells you that the story is BS. We know at least 50 people who could afoord to live anywhere (or at least eslewhere in OC), but choose to live in Santa Ana.

Just like Detroit, the people who really live in Santa Ana get annoyed with the people from the milquetoast suburbia who know nothing about the city making up stories or just generally bashing it. We can bash it ourselves, but outsiders who do not know what they are talking about should just shut up and listen.

While Santa Ana may be the most edgy town in prissy Orange County, it is not a rough or generally dangerous city. It is slightly above average for US cities when the national FBI rankings are relased. For a while, it was amongst the safest cities in the US. LIke any city, use common snese, say out of the bad areas, dont buyt or sell drugs or sex, dont get invovled in family squabbles and the likelihood of having a problem is very small.

(BTW: I am not sure where you work in Detroit, but downtown is fine. It is safer than average for US downtowns and is fairly pleasant and fun. Mostly it is empty at night. Downtown Santa Ana is simlar - mostly empty at night except around Original Mikes and a few other night spots)

Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
I ran across this today

America's Safest Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Santa Ana is at #4? Well, I didn't expect it to be that high.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I ran across this today

America's Safest Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Santa Ana is at #4? Well, I didn't expect it to be that high.
I think that the number 4 pertains to traffic related deaths. However for vilent crime it is number 11. THat is still higher than it has been in a while. It cracks me up when all the negative nellies and rumor mongers spout their stries and then you tell them "Well Santa Ana has the 11th lowest crime rate in the country." They just go silent, or demand a link or say it must be a mistake.

Fact is they do nto know what they are talking about. IN my expereince the people who love to say those kinds of things have no real first hand experience living in the city and no real knowlege. They are either repeating rumors they heard or just making things up becuase it is dramatic. Many of the rumors date back to true events from teh 1970s -1980s when parts of santa Ana were turely awful. The area form MacArthur to Fouth Street and from Bristol to Harbor was known in the DA's office as the "Combat Zone" A violent crime occurred there every few minutes on average. A uniformed police officer could walk down Minnie street and get a dozen offers for drugs or sex. However things are different now and have been for decades (in 1996 (give or take a year) Santa Ana was the number one safest City on that list or one of the major published lists.) Santa Ana took a bit of a downturn from 2005-2009 at least (and it dropped to just above the middle for violent crimes), but it appears that things are improving again.
This is good news. Both good for the city and good for conversatins withthe negative Nelllies. I think I will print some copies of that article and stick them in my car.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Looked more closely. You are correct, Sant Ana is ranked #4 due to a combined analysis of traffic fatalities (4th safest) and violent crime (11th safest). Apparently, the traffic fatalities balanced out the vilent crime ranking.

The rankings are for Cities over 250,000 people. Thus, Santa Ana is the only place that counts as a City in Orange County to the best of my knowlege. Irvine is still probably lower crime statistically, they just did nto make the study becuase they are too small to be considered a major city. (Does Anaheim have more than 250,000?)

Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM

I looked it up. There are 13 California Cities large enought to be included i this study. Santa Ana is the safest of the 13. Anaheim is included. Irvine is not.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Looked more closely. You are correct, Sant Ana is ranked #4 due to a combined analysis of traffic fatalities (4th safest) and violent crime (11th safest). Apparently, the traffic fatalities balanced out the vilent crime ranking.

The rankings are for Cities over 250,000 people. Thus, Santa Ana is the only place that counts as a City in Orange County to the best of my knowlege. Irvine is still probably lower crime statistically, they just did nto make the study becuase they are too small to be considered a major city. (Does Anaheim have more than 250,000?)
If you include traffic injuries/fatalities in judging the safety of a city, I think Garden Grove is probably the least safest city due to its high per-capita traffic accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County