Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM

534 posts, read 481,305 times

Advertisements

Hey guys an opportunity came up that I could move to the Huntington area but would probably keep my job near Riverside. I was wondering what the freeway traffic is like in the morning going EAST from the beach cities. I know that the 91 east is a breeze in the morning, but I was wondering what it would be like GETTING to the 91 from the beach areas which I guess would be taking the 405 and then the 55.... thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
The 405 south is a parking lot in the mornings but once you made it to the 55, it should be pretty smooth sailing. Of course on the way home, one you transition from the 55 south to the 405 north, its pretty much bumper to bumper all the way toward HB. Depending on where in HB you are, Beach Blvd up to the 22 or 91 might be just a quick. Either way, that's a lot of miles in the car twice a day.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The 405 south is a parking lot in the mornings but once you made it to the 55, it should be pretty smooth sailing. Of course on the way home, one you transition from the 55 south to the 405 north, its pretty much bumper to bumper all the way toward HB. Depending on where in HB you are, Beach Blvd up to the 22 or 91 might be just a quick. Either way, that's a lot of miles in the car twice a day.
I agree it's a significant amount of miles, but as long as I wouldn't be sitting in traffic, I might be OK with it. Right now I live less than 5 miles from work, the convenience is great, but it's Corona, so life outside of work, especially weekends, is very boring. I wonder if there's another beach city that would be more convenient. Probably not.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
I think the wildcard is going to be the 91 west on the way home. I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on that damn road at times when you wouldn't expect there to be any major traffic. That's just one seriously overloaded freeway.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Maybe consider Newport Beach instead? It's more easily accessible by freeway than Huntington and this will seriously cut down your commute.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I regularly go from Santa Ana to Riverside in the mornings. I get on the 55 @ 17th street. Sometimes I get on the 22 at Grand. Either way is about the same, depending on traffic. Seomtimes the 22 is 5 minutes quicker. I generally leave 1.5 hours to be safe, but I can usually make it in 1 hour. Once in a while I can even beat 1 hour.

For a beach town, I woudl add 20 minutes to half an hour, unless you are in Laguna or further south. Then add an hour.

You always have to factor in some time for trouble. the further you go, the more trouble you are likely to encounter. Somedays, but very few it will be bad trouble and you will be late.

I usually take the express lanes even if traffic is pretty open. It tends ot choke up on the other end of the express lanes. However sometimes the express lanes are considerably slower than the regular fast lane. It is hit or miss. Usually when I do nto take the express lanes - those are the days that I end up regretting it because the regular lanes are chocked up. On the days I do take express, those are the days the express lanes are slower.

Anyway most of the traffic you hit is at the 15 interchange in as you come into Riverside. Usually there is not a lot.

Getting home is a differnet story. If you leave @5-6, you will hit quite a lot of traffic, but not the parking lot stuff going the other way, just stop and go stop and go, stop and go. If you leave before 4 or after 6:30 it usually flows pretty well.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM

371 posts, read 816,279 times
55 north in the mornings, especially once you get past the 405, is pretty much a breeze.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe consider Newport Beach instead? It's more easily accessible by freeway than Huntington and this will seriously cut down your commute.
Well, I would imagine that Newport is just way way more expensive? The place I'm looking at is just a few blocks from the beach in HB. It appears to be about 5 miles from the 405 and then 5 miles on the 405 to get to the 55, so it might not really be that bad?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Well, I would imagine that Newport is just way way more expensive? The place I'm looking at is just a few blocks from the beach in HB. It appears to be about 5 miles from the 405 and then 5 miles on the 405 to get to the 55, so it might not really be that bad?
Don't underestimate the traffic in that area.. those 5 miles could easily take 10+ minutes.. and traffic on 405 is usually slower than surface streets.

I'd estimate moving to Newport Beach will probably cut your commute about 20-30 minutes each way.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
We measure distances in minutes or hours, not in miles. Miles are irrelevant. Sometimes 5 miles cna take an hour, sometimes 5 minutes. Depends on where and when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County