Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Orange County not dog friendly, Orange County store owners not kind towards dogs or pets, pet rules highly enforced in Orange County

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM

17 posts, read 79,050 times

Advertisements

I noticed no one brought up the topic specifically on whether OC is dog-friendly or not. So here goes my experience; it's mostly NOT with some notable exceptions. Certain coastal cities in OC are lax but most aren't. Unlike in NYC or San Fransisco, most stores do NOT put out little water bowls for passing dogs -for example- and store owners will go absolutely bonkers if you enter the store with the animal, no matter how small or well-behaved it is. It must ALWAYS be on a leash ..even if you're in the middle of nowhere, no one within a mile. Your dog MUST have a county license or they can take it from you to execute it promptly. Oh, they can be pretty fascist about it!. CA Cops have a funny way of suddenly popping up for bullcrap like this, issuing some very expensive tickets. How'd ya think OC makes its money?. That's how OC stays so clean too, for example: they issue $1000 tickets for littering AND then they actually enforce it.

Most people in OC don't seem to be very knowledgeable on dogs behavior, hence seem unable to read a dogs body language and they'll freak out because they'll fear it first when in doubt. Regardless of size or breed. Even dog owners rhemnselves are not so sociable sometimes. Some dog owners you come across while walkng your pet while walking theirs will probably result in their yanking their dog away from yours, instead of letting the guys do their mutual butt-smelling-ritual dog thing. And naturally I'm talking about 2 dogs that are very friendly towards each other and obviously very interested in doing the sniff/greeting thing. Not two mastiffs growling to kill each other.
Maybe it's because since Southern CA's lack a social life they decide to punish their pets with the same?.

Say you're waliking on a bridle path or trail somehwere and you have a very small chihuahua running loose. As soon as you come across someone they'll instantly freak out and ask you -while they're still 50 feet away mind you - to please "put your leash on your dog?".

But like I said, the coastal cities do seem to be much pet friendlier and they'll actually do the whole waterbowl thing and actually let pets hang out inside or at least out on the sidewalk table. Some even offer snacks. Inland, as far as for pooches goes; it's the freaking III Reich. Oh, and all female dogs have to be sterilized by a certain age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
You are obviously a dog lover but not everyone is.

My daughter has been bit by three "friendly" dogs and she is now petrified of them. My other daughter is extremely allergic to dogs. It doesn't matter how small or large the dog is, my children run in fear. Therefore, I would probably be one of those people that isn't thrilled to see a dog in the same store or restaurant that I'm frequenting.

It's a pet. It doesn't need to enter a store, even on a leash.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Parents have a funny way of not noticing when their little sweeties start pulling painfully at a dogs ear or tail sometimes. If the child gets bitten, I think the dog is the least responsible party of those involved. Again, it all boils back to understanding how dogs behave. Now as for the allergies etc, I can totally understand that. However, you're probably troubled by people that wear perfume or colognes too, right?.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
I don't really want to turn this into a pissing match but I was there for all three dog bites, unfortunately. The first time, the dog was older and my friend said harmless and we walked by the dog to go into another room. I was holding my daughter's hand and the dog leaped at us and bit the smallest one (my kid) on the hand. My friend was surprised and claimed she didn't know why the dog had done that. (Friend had baby later that year and the dog went on to bite her own small child numerous times). The second time, my husband's uncle's dog leaped on my daughter as we walked in their house and bit her on the cheek. Not pleasant. The third time, another friends' dog (who is supposed to be really friendly) was sniffing at my daughter trying to make her feel comfortable and got carried away and bit her ear. My "little sweetie" was sitting right near me and the owners each and every time and their owners were actually shocked. Pardon me if I don't beleive the least responsible parties when each time they've done something out of the ordinary. By the way, I grew up with a dog and had one until I was twenty-two years old. I don't have a personal issue if you want to have a dog. I do like the smell of perfume and cologne, just don't overdo it.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 AM

59 posts, read 295,984 times
I can't comment on how well or not dogs are treated in other cities, since I didn't have a dog with me while visiting there. I have no problem what so ever if a shop keeper chooses not to leave a bowl of water out for passing pooches. Frankly, it never even crosses my mind to take my dog into a shop with me with the exception of pet stores. I just tie the dog up to a tree or table or something and go do what I need to do. It's not a big deal and I personally don't believe that a dog has a right to travel everywhere its human does.

Now, on to the subject of walks and such. I'm a firm believer that the dog at the end of my leash be under my control while on that leash. That means that she doesn't sniff another dogs but unless I let her (by releasing the grip on the leash...this is my signal to her that it's ok to do something like that). Call me a control freak or whatever, but I believe it is my responsibility to control my dog in public, not only to be a good dog owner but to ensure that my dog doesn't start to get the impression that she's the one in control (which can lead to some bad behavior issues.....see above post for examples). At the dog park she's off leash and free to do those things...occasionally, dogs to this and snap at each other...it happens, but shouldn't happen when they're on a leash.

Finally, I do agree with you that some people exhibit so much fear when they see you walking toward them that it practically invites the dog to want to check them out. Its comical sometimes. My dog has been trained to walk on my left side; if I'm approaching someone from the other direction, I will move to the left side of the sidewalk to keep myself between my dog and them just in case that person has a fear of dogs. What's comical is when the other person veers to their right TOWARD my dog while exhibiting clear signs of fear! Like they have no concept of walking on the left side of the sidewalk!

Anyway, I find OC to be Dog Friendly enough but I can't really compare to anywhere else. We've got a handful of dog parks, a dog beach, lots of communities put doggie bags out for the benefit of the owners, etc.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
[quote=Brooklynite;1419216]I noticed no one brought up the topic specifically on whether OC is dog-friendly or not. So here goes my experience; it's mostly NOT with some notable exceptions. Certain coastal cities in OC are lax but most aren't. Unlike in NYC or San Fransisco, most stores do NOT put out little water bowls for passing dogs -for example- and store owners will go absolutely bonkers if you enter the store with the animal, no matter how small or well-behaved it is. It must ALWAYS be on a leash ..even if you're in the middle of nowhere, no one within a mile. [quote]

Many people have allergies, and dogs being in stores can be a serious health issue.

To me, dogs should not be allowed in stores under health codes, with the lone exception of guide dogs (and not people who train their dogs only so they can show them off with no intent of actually using them as a guide dog!).

I actually find SoCal way too dog-tolerant -- I have seen dogs in book stores, grocery stores, electronic stores, department stores -- disgusting! If you want a dog, fine -- but it is your pet, not the city's. Leave it at home.

Personally, I won't buy food off the bottom shelf anymore because of the prevalence of dogs in stores.

I have never come across dogs in stores in other places I've lived, and I always glare at anyone who brings a dog into a store. That's not a place for a dog, and if you bring a dog into a store where I am, you can expect glares and nasty comments directed your way.

You may be a dog lover, but not everyone is. And I believe the rights of those with allergies supercedes the rights of dogs -- and I sure hope it always does, or society is really screwed up.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
If I had a nice, I would not want a dog in it....and it would never occur to me to have water for dogs outside my store - that is the owner's job to provide water/food or whatever for their dog. Some dogs are well behaved and some are not - how is a store owner supposed to differentiate? I don't like being licked or sniffed by someone's dog and I am very allergic.

Orange County has one of the biggest and nicest dogs beach in Huntington Beach. If you go there, you will find many, many friendly dog owners.

Dogs are not people...they are animals. I feel like I have to say this some times because some dog owners seem confused about that.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Dogs are not people...they are animals. I feel like I have to say this some times because some dog owners seem confused about that.
Maybe I am confused. I'm talking about the race that doesn't cheat, steal, lie, purposely commit homicide, use technology for mass-murder nor contaminate the very planet we live on. Ya know, the race capable of true and unwavering loyalty, trust and love.

Come to think of it; I'm surprised anyone would let people into their stores .

Old 09-04-2007, 05:59 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite View Post
Maybe I am confused. I'm talking about the race that doesn't cheat, steal, lie, purposely commit homicide, use technology for mass-murder nor contaminate the very planet we live on. Ya know, the race capable of true and unwavering loyalty, trust and love.

Come to think of it; I'm surprised anyone would let people into their stores .
It seems credit card companies and banks also "discriminate" against dogs, as I never see a dog with a credit card or bank account. Also, communication can be difficult between store owners and dogs.

That may be why people are let into stores.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I realize a lot of people relate better to animals than people - it is much more difficult and demanding to try to be figure out how you can get along, understand and be tolerant of other people, to grow and change as a human being in human relationships, to be a good husband/wife, mother/father, sister/brother, etc., than it is to give all your love, emotion, money and time to a dog....hence the unnatural attention, emotion and inordinate amount of money invested in an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County