Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i am an avid cyclist and my bikes cost more than i'm willing to share here. i also ride with guys who have spent in the neighborhood of $10k on a single bike. say what you will about bicycles that cost as much as cars, but these are some pretty wealthy dudes and they are not training in gyms. some of these guys ride more on a weekly basis than they drive (which used to be me before my work schedule got in the way). maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before making blanket statements about all 'higher class' people.
I ride with some SERIOUS roadies. My steed was 2g new. I didn't pay that but it's retail. One of my buddies just threw down 14K for a really nice ride. He doesn't make insane money he just lives on the bike. I'm lucky if I get 100 miles a week now.

Most people I know that are in great shape like to show off and aren't hiding in the garage. I've got an olympic set and a spin bike but I HATE working out in the garage. This rain is killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Rich people work out in the gym. We have no need to walk around making an idiot of ourselves in public for everyone to gawk at us while we jog or cycle in public. Some of us don't LIKE to exercise outdoors and prefer PRIVACY of exercising at a gym or even at home. You do know that it's possible to work out indoors right? I personally PREFER working out indoors; I don't like to run outdoors. Not a nature or trees kind of person; I like the treadmill.
This is pretty ridiculous. Cycling sourly is not making an idiot of oneself...nor do normal people gawk as long as they are not breaking laws etcs. You not only prefer working out indoors. You have freely admitted that you don't like other people.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i am an avid cyclist and my bikes cost more than i'm willing to share here. i also ride with guys who have spent in the neighborhood of $10k on a single bike. say what you will about bicycles that cost as much as cars, but these are some pretty wealthy dudes and they are not training in gyms. some of these guys ride more on a weekly basis than they drive (which used to be me before my work schedule got in the way). maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before making blanket statements about all 'higher class' people.
I can tell when someone who is biking has money or not.... The ones that have money and expensive bikes usually have cycling gear on, biking shorts and bike around Lake Forest where the hills are. I also have seen someone driving a bike in a suit. I do not feel sorry for them; I know they have money.

I am talking about the people biking to and from work in oppressed lower income areas like Santa Ana or on Harbor Blvd where you can tell that they probably don't have as much money and that their bike is their only form of transportation or the bus.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,577 times
My point was. Who cares if a cyclist has money. Or not.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
My point was. Who cares if a cyclist has money. Or not.
I don't get the whole cycling jersey/expensive road bike thing. Unless you're a competitive professional getting paid endorsement money to ride around looking like a billboard, what's the point? I'm sure scientific studies would show that I burn as many calories on my 20+ year old mountain bike wearing shorts and a tee shirt.

I'm nominating this one for stupidest thread of the year.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 03-27-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
Default cnev3

FRIGHT, THAT IS THE REASON. I used to live there I loved the beach and went there every Sun. morning. I would not walk anywhere else.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Today I was visiting in downtown LA and saw a Chevron gas station just a few blocks from Union Station with prices at over $5 per gallon. When that becomes more common around here, we might see a few more people walking or riding a bike for local errands.
Nope. It didn't stop people from driving when gas topped $4-$5 (depending on location) over the last few years. This recent gas hike is not new and the average price for a gallon of gas in the U.S. was higher this time of the year in 2008 than it is now (but yes, it did drop dramatically about a month later). Heck, I remember gas being over $4 in 2006 when I lived in Minneapolis (which spiked up from under $3 seemingly "overnight"). Sure, one or two people might walk or ride a bike more, but in reality you will see more gas thefts and people riding scooters.

Oh, and to the woman with the hubby from England. Shiv, Americans would walk too if our gas prices where the equivalent of what Europeans and Canadians pay.

Moan all you want, even at $6 a gallon, we would still have some of the cheapest gas prices in the World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This is a key reason. For most people making a good income in OC, time is a more valuable commodity than money. If you only have two hours after work before the kids have to go to bed, you're not going to spend half of that walking to the store for groceries.
If one was spending so much damn time at work that their family must be neglected than why not move to a good, but cheaper, neighborhood where they would not have to work so much in order to make ends meet. I may not be able to afford to live in Orange County, but at least I am not killing myself to make ends meet. Yup, time is a very valuable commodity. So much so that I do not want to waste it on working all damn day.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
As for bike riding/walking....I think Orange County has plenty of people who ride, walk, and jog. They just do it exercise, relaxation, or hobby purposes--not to commute. So you are more likely to see them on dedicated bike paths/trails than you would cruising down a neighborhood street.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If one was spending so much damn time at work that their family must be neglected than why not move to a good, but cheaper, neighborhood where they would not have to work so much in order to make ends meet.
Work is often is an area you don't want to live.

My wife works 9 hour days (9/80 schedule), 4 miles from home. She sees the baby awake for 2 hours each night. How much closer to her work should we move?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
I work from home now, but unless there was a howling wind, and pouring rain I would ride my bike into the office. 10 miles along the beach every morning was a pretty good way to start the day off.

I would arrive only a few minutes after a co worker who lived in my neighborhood.

Funny how this thread devolved into class warfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County