Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM

8 posts, read 10,653 times

Advertisements

my girlfriend and i are planning a move to orange in late summer or early fall. we haven't chosen an area yet, partly because we're worried about the lower minimum wage there than in san francisco (where we currently live), and our ability to pay rent.

i'm planning on looking for a serving or bartending job once we get a little closer to the move, and i'm wondering if anybody knows any good, busy spots i might apply to. i've made more money serving than i have doing any other job, and i feel like getting a job at a place that gets busy, is in a decent enough area that tips are good, and is close enough to a $1000-ish/month apartment to bike to and from would significantly help us.

anybody have any ideas of where to look?

thanks,
isaac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Some how if you have not mastered the idea of being "I" instead of i you will likely not make it here.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM

wow, i could say back that if you have not mastered the fact that "somehow" is actually one word and not two, that it's a wonder that you've made it as long as you have. sorry, i'm not too concerned with correct capitalization on the city data forum. unless you have something to contribute to my question, i don't really care what else you have to say. have a nice night!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Mingo, I am sure Ferret did mean well and I often have typos and god knows what else in my posts. I suppose it is silly to pick on these types of errors if they are minor enough.
I suppose it is a good wake up call when you are about to fill out important forms like job applications.
Hopefully, you will fill out the job applications with more care and accuracy because most if not all of the employers will not be forgiving.

Coming here when the season is somewhat dying may not be the best timing. Spring or early Summer would be ideal as places who use serving positions have better business during the warmer seasons.

You can find a decent job almost any part of central or south part of OC but my recommendation would be to stick to beach cities such as Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Huntington Beach if OC is your cup of tea.

Other than those areas, it is a hit or miss and they are all over. Stick with expensive restaurant-bars or hotels. A good concentration would be in Laguna/Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar areas, typically around PCH.
My $0.02's worth.

Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 PM

thanks! and of course i use more care filling out a job application and updating a resume than i would on an internet forum.

appreciate the suggestions!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,146 times
Agree that you will probably do better looking around the beach cities. Rather than places where there are a lot of families, look at places where the lunch crowd will be working people and dinner will be younger couples/dates, etc. Since you have time, why not go on Yelp and see which places seem to get good reviews constantly and seem to have a pretty good alcohol consuming clientele, sometimes you can tell this because the reviewer will list what they had...just an idea.
Good luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM

good call, luck! i appreciate that.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Well as you state minimum wage is less. Guess what? Servers do not get minimum wage, the wage is less as tips are included.

Rent is more in San Francisco, rent will be less in the OC. So as long as you can please the guests your tips should handle it.

Some how can be spelled together and separately. I use a spell checker as well that takes care of pesky things like capitalization.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM

yeah, i'm well aware of the differences nationwide between server wage and "hourly" minimum wage. in louisville, where i'm originally from, it's 2.13/hour. i'm an excellent server though and always made above average tips.

you are right about "somehow." i found your original comments rather rude though and unfortunately went searching for something to call you out on.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM

There is that personality that will bring in the big tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County