Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM

124 posts, read 734,206 times

Advertisements

I'll ya something though.. if there's one thing that Southern Californians are talented at... it's driving in traffic. There will be 100,000 cars on 405 bumper to bumper BUT people will still be going 10 MPH. Out east that never happens. The second you overcongest a road in the east- it stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTRCWCA08 View Post
LOL.......cant even be close to Boston and Rhode island, where every commute is like a NASCAR bump event...seriously....it's 85-100 mph for "as long or s far as you can", with drafting, and bumper to bumper high speed lane changes etc. Then, there's a Wreck, literally EVERY DAY, in the same god-dammm 3-4 spots....EVERY DAY. When the thick stuff hits, it's every man for him self. Merging? New englanders dont know what that is......"yield", or "right of way"? HA HA HA HA.....you're joking, right?....in the 8 years Ive been back in NE, I think I've seen the use of a turn signal, maybe twice.
Oh, you mean the daily NASCAR event on I-95 and through Foxborough into Providence! What a zoo... My heart rate explodes when I drive that.

There isn't a single freeway in SoCal that can compare to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM

111 posts, read 226,489 times
I moved to OC after 7 years in Phoenix and drivers here are extraordinarily tame and courteous by comparison. Even LA drivers are polite and safe compared to Phoenix. I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investtt View Post
I'll ya something though.. if there's one thing that Southern Californians are talented at... it's driving in traffic. There will be 100,000 cars on 405 bumper to bumper BUT people will still be going 10 MPH. Out east that never happens. The second you overcongest a road in the east- it stops.

Oh, you mean the daily NASCAR event on I-95 and through Foxborough into Providence! What a zoo... My heart rate explodes when I drive that.

There isn't a single freeway in SoCal that can compare to that.
LOL -EXACTLY!!!! 495 south stretch from attleboro down to taunton area as well......
not toom uch longer though, just accepted ajob in the OC in Irvine!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
OC drivers are kind of ditzy. Many don't seem to have a clue nor do they care that many other drivers are around them. Turn signals are used infrequently; many exit and enter the diamond lanes in areas where it is not permitted, and more than a few multi-task while driving on freeway..they dine, put on make-up, shave, talk endlessly on cell phones, groom the dogs in their laps, read newspapers and magazines, and drive either 20MPH over the speed limit or 20MPH under the speed limit. Getting anywhere in OC is confounded by an endless array of unsynchronized street lights everywhere.

I think north San Diego drivers are far more aggressive than are OC drivers, but I also suspect many of those are young drivers stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Having been an east coast driver for more than 45 years, I get the sense many people in OC don't really have a sense of efficient ways of going from point A to point B. I frequently wonder who teaches many of them to drive. We have many immigrant drivers who drive huge SUVs and other expensive cars, but who drive them like timid mice...driving very slowly even when the flow of traffic demands that drivers keep a fairly quick pace.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 AM

111 posts, read 226,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
I think north San Diego drivers are far more aggressive than are OC drivers, but I also suspect many of those are young drivers stationed at Camp Pendleton.
I have found in my experience that San Diego overall is unfriendly compared to OC.

Quote:
Having been an east coast driver for more than 45 years
Gee, what a surprise, another east coaster who is genetically programmed to hate anything and everything outside the east coast and has come here to let us all hear about it. Wow....

Old 10-09-2007, 06:55 AM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
I have found in my experience that San Diego overall is unfriendly compared to OC.

Gee, what a surprise, another east coaster who is genetically programmed to hate anything and everything outside the east coast and has come here to let us all hear about it. Wow....
Not so at all...I love living here. That said, Orange County has its problems, and ditzy drivers are among them. Not that the other coast doesn't have its share as well, but the drivers here in many cases don't appear to have as a priority getting somewhere. Anyone who has driven the LI Expressway or the 128 around Boston knows of what I speak.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
Orange County drivers are overly aggressive drivers. They are also rude.

I wonder if they are more aggressive than Los Angeles or San Diego County drivers.
According to officials, Orange County is slightly above San Diego and slightly below Los Angeles in number of "flipping the bird"s per 100,000 miles driven.

Here are the numbers:

Los Angeles 1763 "flipping the bird"s per 100,000 miles
Orange County 1699 "flipping the bird"s per 100,000 miles
San Diego 1653 "flipping the bird"s per 100,000 miles

Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I didn't think the city driving in OC was much worse than Houston's. The triple-left-turn traffic lights were a little strange... we only have doubles. But there were more people who couldn't keep their cars straight, too. I usually stay calm, and if they want to pass in front of you only to stop, let them. I won't let their self-induced mental problems rub off on me.

All of the freeway driving (SD, OC, LA, SF) was WAY more clogged than here. When it wasn't clogged, it was a hell of a lot faster for 2 minutes, then clogged again.

Odd things I dealt with there were Euro supercars squeezing by to pass going 100 on a one-lane freeway entrance ramp... motorcycles passing between cars... and people passing on the rare freeway shoulder.

Phoenix -- holy crap! I don't think I've dealt with such idiotic moves in any other city.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM

58 posts, read 47,222 times
Excuse me but drivers in OC may just perhaps be the most polite in the world.

Anyone who says the contrary obviously has never driven in NYC, Europe or South America. In these other places they'll start honking like crazy if you're not off like a racedog from the starting line as soon as the light turns green. In OC they'll usually wait for you to wake-up on your own. I've personally seen drivers in OC backed up in a single lane at a turnlight patiently waiting for the first car in line to wake-up without honking a single horn. Even when the first car misses the light without moving. Unbelievable. Of course, rush hour can be different, but not really by much. In fact, horns are rarely heard here in comparison to the above locations.

And in OC they'll invariably give the right of way to pedestrians, instead of speeding up and trying to ram them like they do in the other places I've mentioned. You won't see too many people throwing trash out their car window in OC either.

Of course, this does not apply to the extensive illegal immigrants with no license or insurance that are out and about, nor to the anal-wipes (can I say that?) that drive-in from LA.

LA, now that's a driving zoo!. I could have undertood if you were talking about LA drivers. While I'm on the topic OC/LA, I'll tell you that you can definitely tell the difference between driving in both places not only by the attitudes of the drivers but from the freeway infrastructure as well. OC lanes and freeways are actually pretty cheerful, wide and very well maintained. These people have a fetish with anything related to driving and they know their stuff!. The nice landscaping, the interesting designs/artwork placed on the freeway soundwalls.

To tell you the truth in fact, I think the title of this thread is ridiculous. You've obviously never experienced real agressive driving, you lucky B.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post
Excuse me but drivers in OC may just perhaps be the most polite in the world.

Anyone who says the contrary obviously has never driven in NYC, Europe or South America. In these other places they'll start honking like crazy if you're not off like a racedog from the starting line as soon as the light turns green. In OC they'll usually wait for you to wake-up on your own. I've personally seen drivers in OC backed up in a single lane at a turnlight patiently waiting for the first car in line to wake-up without honking a single horn. Even when the first car misses the light without moving. Unbelievable. Of course, rush hour can be different, but not really by much. In fact, horns are rarely heard here in comparison to the above locations.

And in OC they'll invariably give the right of way to pedestrians, instead of speeding up and trying to ram them like they do in the other places I've mentioned. You won't see too many people throwing trash out their car window in OC either.

Of course, this does not apply to the extensive illegal immigrants with no license or insurance that are out and about, nor to the anal-wipes (can I say that?) that drive-in from LA.

LA, now that's a driving zoo!. I could have undertood if you were talking about LA drivers. While I'm on the topic OC/LA, I'll tell you that you can definitely tell the difference between driving in both places not only by the attitudes of the drivers but from the freeway infrastructure as well. OC lanes and freeways are actually pretty cheerful, wide and very well maintained. These people have a fetish with anything related to driving and they know their stuff!. The nice landscaping, the interesting designs/artwork placed on the freeway soundwalls.

To tell you the truth in fact, I think the title of this thread is ridiculous. You've obviously never experienced real agressive driving, you lucky B.
I agree with you that thar are more 'agressive' drivers in other cities/states than orange county. the title of this post started with agressive but has evolved to fit the orange county theme. what i mean by that is most orange county drivers are not 'agressive' but they are very 'ditzy,' 'absent minded,' disconcerning for others around them, and oblivious to their surroundings. In my opinion this is far worse than agressive drivers. Aggressive drivers "for the most part" are assertive, at least in the east coast areas you mentioned. Assertive in the sense that they are alert, aware, and are not driving without a cause. Yes they are agressive, but they are just in a hurry to get from point A to B and realize the logic, rational, and get FRUSTRATED when people make irrational moves or hold up traffic because they are putting on their makeup, looking in the mirror, or picking up their call waiting lol.

Can anyone else relate to what I'm saying? I really don't think the majority of Orange County drivers can be considered 'agressive.' I really think the largest problem is the absent minded, oblivious attitude they present when behind the wheel, or for that matter when they're behind a shopping cart!! Have any of you walked down the aisle of a grocery store, to be blasted with a 30's something mom on her phone with her little tyke next to her? Or how bout trying to talk to your butcher and get a nice cut of steak for the night when some obnoxious person attempts to overpower you and get in front of your order? The main problem for MOST of orange county is not the aggression, because in fact I think most people here are timid/tame, I think the problem is pride, self-centered mindsets, and total disregard for others around them "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" if this was practiced more often, everything would be better, roads, grocery store aisles, lines at banks, etc. think bout it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County