Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM

658 posts, read 1,555,081 times

Advertisements

If so, why?

A little about me and my situation:

I'm from the east coast and moved to Seattle a few years ago. I hate the winter here, I love the summer here. Winter is 8 months or more, and rains almost every day of those 8 months and maybe 5 sunny days the entire winter. The rest of the time it is overcast. For those 8 months it is dark more than it is light. sunrise at 9am, sunset at 3:30pm. It's ridiculous and I hate the weather. During the summer is perfect however.

Although it regrettably lasts only about 3 months, temp is between 70 and 89 almost every day, almost no rain, sunny almost every day of these 3 months. The days are long, sunrise at 5, sunset at 9. Summer is almost perfect. Only things it's lacking is a good ocean.

I am in my mid-20s. I don't do drugs and don't hang around people who do drugs. Drinking is fine, but I don't go to bars and avoid the party scene if possible. I'm pretty straightedge I guess. I like computers, art, reading, movies, philosophy, psychology, and fitness.

Not a sports fan, I tolerate it just for social occasions like the superbowl. I don't dislike watching sports, in fact I can enjoy watching it. But I would never turn it on if I was by myself. And I don't play any contact sports. But I do like recreational activities like working out, rock climbing, skydiving, etc.

Ideally I'd like to be around some conservatives. However, living in major coastal cities for the past decade has made me pretty much give up on that dream, and has made me much more tolerant of those swinging to the far left. Personally I am neither conservative nor liberal - but in many areas I do tend to take conservative stances, like on drugs, gun control, and prayer in schools.

I am a small business owner, I run a small technology business. This is my sole source of income. So this is an important factor. As a result, job market doesn't really impact me at all, because there are areas with poor job market that my business flourishes, and vice-versa, and switch-vice-versa. The job market alone does not necessarily have a direct influence on my business. Rather, the area's number of growing small businesses would be a more important factor because new and growing businesses who have technological needs are my main clientele.

And perhaps I should mention that my business does not have a physical location.

So there's for starters.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 03-30-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Why don't you tell us about your situation? Otherwise you'll get the right-wingers moaning about how far California has fallen off...
Ok I added a detailed description.

But just a note, I understand that California is not necessarily known for its ethics (i.e. Californication, which I actually watch, it inspires me to write), but if it's the same or any better than Seattle, which just legalized marijuana and gay marriage, then it certainly won't be a downgrade. Main reason I want to move is for the weather and climate.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 03-30-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,172,511 times
Orange County is conservative, so if you can afford it why not do it.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Orange County is conservative, so if you can afford it why not do it.
Which is one reason for choosing OC over LA.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 03-30-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
Apologies, I skimmed your post, so I may have missed something, and stopped at one key point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I am a small business owner...

As a fellow "small" business owner, I would heavily research the CA tax code, and make a determination on if CA is the best place to run your business. There are consulting firms which will do this for you, which I highly recommend, if your business brings enough to warrant such an expense.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,352,827 times
San Diego, OC, and LA could all be good choices for you and each have their own flavor. In general, OC might have the highest percentage of conservative folks but to me they all lean right of Seattle. Weather-wise they all fit the bill. The communities range from pricey beach towns to suburban to foothills and near-desert. Lots of good outdoor activities for those who seek them out. I love the year round lifestyle in SoCal. Seattle is indeed wonderful in summer but I would also have difficulty with the long grey winters.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Have you thought about Atlanta? It might fit you better.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have you thought about Atlanta?
No way! Are you Crazy?? (you're referring to Atlanta Georgia, right?? You're nuts!)

Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM

536 posts, read 482,785 times
Quote:
But just a note, I understand that California is not necessarily known for its ethics (i.e. Californication, which I actually watch, it inspires me to write), but if it's the same or any better than Seattle, which just legalized marijuana and gay marriage, then it certainly won't be a downgrade.
i think you'll find that many 'conservatives' in California don't have any "ethical" issues with social issues like gay marriage or legalized marijuana. Fiscal policy is the main driver. You also mentioned gun control. I have seen a lot of gun support from locals on facebook, but I don't think it's anything like Texas, Oklahoma etc.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,939,019 times
I am an ultra right-wing, conservative, gun owning, republican, Jew.

When I'm at the gun club, we NEVER talk about gay marriage, birth control or abortion. It's always fiscal conservancy, taxes, illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County