Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,234 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm starting a joint doctoral program at UC San Diego and UC Irvine in the fall. I'd like to try to find a place to live (with my female partner so hopefully gay friendly) that is somewhat reasonably accessible to both Irvine/Los Angeles and San Diego but less expensive. Is there such a place? I'm from New York so I'm not used to driving. Is taking side streets possible? Or would it be better to live on one of the campuses and take a train or shuttle to the other? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 AM

Also, is it easier for a slightly nervous driver to drive in San Diego than in Irvine, LA, etc.?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,701 times
UCI and UCSD are like 70 miles from each other, that is going to be a pain in the ass. You can take the 405 and 5 between them but depending on times of day you will likely sit in traffic and LA from Irvine is probably another hour--in the opposite direction from SD--at a minimum, also depending on times of day.

I do know Irvine has a metrolink station and you can take it to Oceanside, which from there you can use the regional transit in San Diego county to get down to UCSD but I don't know how to do that (SD residents could help you there). Or you could take Amtrak from Irvine to San Diego but that's probably more costly.

Halfway cities would be like San Clemente or Oceanside (it's not really quite halfway, but Camp Pendleton means it's impossible to get one that's truly halfway between cities) or perhaps Dana Point? But those are pretty expensive to live in.

Can you attend classes on campus at one university and then online classes at the other university so you don't have to do that? I can't really think of a better option. You are going to hate commuting between the two. I always stay overnight in San Diego if I'm going for a training class during the week or something. It's not bad as a once in awhile day trip but every day? No way.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2162 View Post
I'd like to try to find a place to live (with my female partner so hopefully gay friendly) that is somewhat reasonably accessible to both Irvine/Los Angeles and San Diego but less expensive.

I'm not used to driving.
What would be representative schedules for your need to be at each campus? For example, what hours and days at each campus? Are you mostly at one campus? Mostly in the mornings or evenings?

Get used to driving. It's almost impossible to do what you want to do without driving a car. Besides, the stretch of road between Irvine and San Diego is fairly pleasant and scenic.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM

It's really not going to be that annoying, as I only need to be at each campus once a week, maybe twice at one and once at the other for seminars in a busy semester--it's mostly independent work, so I need to find a nice environment to work in, while still somewhat reasonably being able to access both campuses.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It's really not going to be that annoying, as I only need to be at each campus once a week, maybe twice at one and once at the other for seminars in a busy semester--it's mostly independent work, so I need to find a nice environment to work in, while still somewhat reasonably being able to access both campuses.
What about jobs for you or the other person?

What is your housing budget?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,701 times
Oh okay, I guess that isn't so bad. I was envisioning multiple times a week per campus. Once a week at each isn't bad. I guess then the question is do you want to live in San Diego or Orange County? Charles is correct, unless you take amtrak/metrolink between the two you basically do have to drive. But it is a nice scenic drive, even if you do get stuck in traffic.

I personally prefer San Diego but opinions will vary wildly on this.

Edit, jobs, and housing budget are all things to consider too. Good point Charles. I would advise living close to one of the campuses, rather than moving to LA like you said before. You can always go to LA when you want and it would make your life easier to at least live by one campus.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
Quote:
Hi! I'm starting a joint doctoral program at UC San Diego and UC Irvine in the fall. I'd like to try to find a place to live (with my female partner so hopefully gay friendly) that is somewhat reasonably accessible to both Irvine/Los Angeles and San Diego but less expensive. Is there such a place? I'm from New York so I'm not used to driving. Is taking side streets possible? Or would it be better to live on one of the campuses and take a train or shuttle to the other? Thanks!
I also moved here from Manhattan, so I know what you are talking about in terms of preferring mass transit, but the bottom line is "fuggitabout it" if, IMHO, you want any quality of life out here.

A car is a PITA in NYC, even if you happen to own one there; and I don't miss alternate side of the street parking rules, digging my car out of snow, or circling the block in desperate hope of finding a parking spot.

I did, however, enjoy the convenience of hopping onto a subway, haling a cab, or paying for car service if I felt like it.

That is the past. It's best to relax and accept the fact that you, and not a transit driver, will take yourself from point A to point B and then to point C, etc. ; all in the course of a single day because this general area is not walkable. There are no side streets to take, but you will quickly get accustomed to driving due to necessity.

The upside is that parking is very easy in this area.

My suggestion would be to find a place in San Clemente (Oceanside is too far from UCI and also not nearly as pleasant as SC) and use a good GPS for alternate routes during traffic jams.

There are fairly regular border patrol checks on the 5 between Oceanside and San Clemente; and they slow down traffic, but you learn to factor them into your schedule.

You will learn to bundle committee meetings, classes, labs, etc. together at each respective campus as much possible, and you will be fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM

I won't be working as I am getting a stipend from my Ph.D. program, with an extra $5,000 at first to offset housing costs. She will be working either in San Diego or L.A., depending on where she ultimately gets a job.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I won't be working as I am getting a stipend from my Ph.D. program, with an extra $5,000 at first to offset housing costs. She will be working either in San Diego or L.A., depending on where she ultimately gets a job.

LA as in Los Angeles? If that is the case, then you have no choice, you must live in Irvine or even north of Irvine considering she'll be commuting and you will hardly be commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County