Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,440 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is that parents need to make sure their kids are responsible enough to be a vehicle owner. This was clearly NOT the case. Based on the information, the 17 yr old had a tricked out Infinity that he liked to street race. Mistake #1 was letting this kid have a car in the first place. His parents now have the blood on their hands of everyone that was killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM

199 posts, read 400,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Talk about judgemental. And you were never a teenager yourself, right?
I can't speak for the target of your post, but seems to me YOU'RE the judgmental one. Since when is standing up against foolishness wrong?

Going on the "You were never young?!" offensive is flawed and ridiculous. I was young. I never wrapped a car around a tree, though. For starters, my parents gave me an old Volvo that measured 0-60 times on a sundial, not a 300+hp sports sedan. Secondly, I didn't dare pull that kind of foolishness. It's called maturity. So to answer your question, YES, I was young, and YES, I will judge any idiots who put innocent people's lives at risk to satiate their own selfish lust for thrills.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Now I'm hearing that the driver didn't even have a license. If the parents knew he was driving illegally, they should be held civilly liable since he was a minor.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
For starters, my parents gave me an old Volvo that measured 0-60 times on a sundial, not a 300+hp sports sedan.
My big bro bought me my first car: a Dodge Swinger and this wasn't back when they were popular, if they ever were.

I wonder if any of the passengers begged or pleaded with the driver to slow down or stop. How sad...

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
No license, not even a learner's permit. I wonder if this is another Nikki Catsouras tragedy, as in steal daddy's car and hit something at high speed that doesn't like to move?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
seems to me YOU'RE the judgmental one. Since when is standing up against foolishness wrong?
That poster is hardly standing up against foolishness. Five kids are dead and h/she refers to this tragedy as "Clueless, spoiled rich kids trying to be 'bad-ass'."

Quote:
I was young. I never wrapped a car around a tree, though. For starters, my parents gave me an old Volvo that measured 0-60 times on a sundial, not a 300+hp sports sedan. Secondly, I didn't dare pull that kind of foolishness. YES, I will judge any idiots who put innocent people's lives at risk to satiate their own selfish lust for thrills.
Good luck when/if you ever have teenagers. You cannot control everything they do.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM

The issue just represents a broader problem with America's youth. Whether it be the stupidity of meth-head Cendoya costing the OC taxpayers 160,000 for his rescue or this guy driving erratically, unlicensed, in a vehicle that he should never have had, ultimately killing everyone inside of it. It's just beyond me that parents do not establish better boundaries and discipline with their children. It's quite sickening.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM

From OC Register:

---------
Abdulrahman Alyahyan, 17, a senior at University High School, had been trying to get his driving permit for about 18 months, but California Department of Motor Vehicles spokesman Artemio Armenta said the application had been held up because his immigration status couldn’t be verified.

He had come to the United States about four years ago from Saudi Arabia with his mother, two older brothers and older sister. Records of visas – tourist, student or work – are issued by the State Department and are not a matter of public record. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officials could not provide specific information about his legal status.

----------

Oh no...here we go. The right-wing, anti-muslim folks are going to have a field day with this one.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
From OC Register:

---------
Abdulrahman Alyahyan, 17, a senior at University High School, had been trying to get his driving permit for about 18 months, but California Department of Motor Vehicles spokesman Artemio Armenta said the application had been held up because his immigration status couldn’t be verified.

He had come to the United States about four years ago from Saudi Arabia with his mother, two older brothers and older sister. Records of visas – tourist, student or work – are issued by the State Department and are not a matter of public record. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officials could not provide specific information about his legal status.

----------

Oh no...here we go. The right-wing, anti-muslim folks are going to have a field day with this one.
of course they are and why not? To be honest, if the kid did not have a license it really doesn't make any difference if he was here legally or otherwise and no one is saying a thing about Muslims for heaven sake. You are the one bringing this up. That being said, the accident does not boil down to who is here legally, but the fact they may not have been here legally is going to be an issue. If the mom is here illegally (if she is) she is breaking the law: if she allows her son to drive without a license, she is breaking the law and it appears she didn't teach her child personal responsibility nor respect for authority. That is the sad part. Now, 5 young people will never be adults, will never be able to enjoy the things we take for granted.

I am not saying he was here illegally by any means, nor his family didn't instill high morals in him, I am saying, this could be an issue and yes, it will be at the front of the case..

My heart goes out to all those involved in the tragedy. We were all kids at one time, we did crazy things, but most of us, used some common sense.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
This may be just a "teenager" thing...I know, I was a stupid teenager when I was behind the wheel in my younger days, but the Saudi connection, makes me think of "hagwalah" (just google it) crazy driving and trying to do dumb tricks with the car.

Granted, I'm not saying they we're doing anything other than speeding, just putting it out there that Saudi driving (in Saudi Arabia) has a reputation for being pretty reckless in the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County