Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

If a black guy was driving through Southern California, he's 69 times more likely to be assaulted/robbed/harassed stopping in a black neighborhood in LA somewhere than he would be stopping in a white neighborhood in OC somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If a black guy was driving through Southern California, he's 69 times more likely to be assaulted/robbed/harassed stopping in a black neighborhood in LA somewhere than he would be stopping in a white neighborhood in OC somewhere.
Unless he's driving through Coto or Nellie Gail (my friends son always got harassed in Nellie Gail).

(I'm being serious and sarcastic all at once in case no one knows)

Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Unless he's driving through Coto or Nellie Gail (my friends son always got harassed in Nellie Gail).
I find this hard to believe. It's not that I don't want to accept it; it's just that my experience with blacks and whites and Hispanics in OC is inconsistent with this. It might be true but I am not buying it at this time.

Also, was this black kid a known troublemaker? Meaning, was he allegedly harassed because he was a trouble maker and not simply because he is black?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
I've heard all kinds of stories about the attitudes there from people who have visited on numerous occasions.
I would step back and examine these friends. Do they often attract trouble? If you come to CA wanting trouble there is plenty to find.
My brother seem to get in fights everywhere, McDonalds, Home Depot, etc. He is a hot head, I want to punch him out at times, most of the time. Asses seem to collect it.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM

254 posts, read 442,635 times
Your friends sound like storytellers. There are some stalwart white supremecists in the ghetto of Huntington Beach still, but for the most part they can't be found. Your likelihood of running into anyone that is going to give you trouble because of your race is extremely small. Small enough that I laughed at the original post (not to be condescending, just to illustrate my surprise at your question).

Have a nice time at Knotts Berry Farm. I was there a few weeks ago and quite pleasantly surprised by the recent improvements.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
OC gets a bad rep sometimes because it is the Mecca of white supremacist prison gangs such as PENI 1, the Aryan Brotherhood and Nazi Lowriders. Operation Stormfrnt in 2010 put a big dent in these gangs. There was the Freedom 14 white supremacist group who used to go down to HB Pier and protest immigration. Just a few months ago black professional mixed martial artist Emmanuel Newton went to a punk rock show in Orange County and was attacked by skinheads. The skins obviously didn't know he and his minority friends were pro fighters, and several of the skins were knocked unconscious and dragged out of the show by security.

That said, the real skins are mostly concerned with selling meth and guns than hating on minorities. Unless you're at a punk rock show or a biker bar when the skins start to get drunk, you won't have any problems. OC is very diverse. Knotts will have more minorities than white people. I'm a minority and have been living down here for a whole and haven't had any problems. Only once I was in San Clemente and some punk kids rode by on bikes and yelled "white supremacy!" I don't even think they knew what it meant.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
I'm beginning to think I'm a minority. I'm the last sane person left on the internet

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM

256 posts, read 452,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Hi, Sneakerfreak:

Attitudes from people who have visited.........people on vacation in a strange place can do and be strange things....good thing you are asking locals here about things.

I'm hoping that these visiting people weren't behaving like total turds and then calling out some ethnicity card because they were called on their behavior by law enforcement or others. There is that angle as well.

I find it strange that you mind my asking. And, yes, your ethinicity shouldn't really matter but your posting of your original question would beg for the other one to be shoved into the spotlight.

And, actually, it's never that you sometimes know.
I don't associate with people that "behave like total turds" so they'd have no reason to lie or exaggerate. You know it is possible for someone to be racially harassed without giving "cause". Happens daily in America by everyone from the police to your next door neighbor. Unless you believe that every minority simply had it coming to them by way of being a minority.

Not sure why that would seem strange to you. Whether I was black, Hispanic, Asian, or Arab should make no difference. Unless I'm to believe that certain minorities get treated better than others in OC.

Ad yes, sometimes you don't know. That's why we ask questions. Always better to know what you're getting into before you get there.

I find it particularly weird and disturbing that certain people think my question is some sort of a joke. Believe it or not the same fears that whites have about minorities we also have about you.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
I Unless I'm to believe that certain minorities get treated better than others in OC.

You should believe it, it is certainly true. Certain minorities are in the majority in many parts of OC. Other minorities are almost absent in OC (blacks specifically). In some areas whites are minorities.

So, yes, which minority heritage you belong to could possibly have an impact on how you are viewed and/or treated in some parts of OC. For the most part though, in most places, no one will care. They care more about your displayed wealth and taste as demonstrated by selecting and conspicuously displaying expensive name brands.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Quote:
Hello,

We plan on visiting Knott's Berry Farms at some point during the summer and I'm a little concerned for the well being of my family. I've heard much about the racists attitudes that exist in Orange County which brings me to ask the following questions:

What's the likelihood that we will be harassed by the police because we are minorities?

How much hostility should we expect from the people in town?

All serious answers wold be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You have NOTHING to worry about .. trust me.
It's not like you're visiting Placer County (near Sacramento) or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County