Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't know about California, but the reason people rent apartments is usually because:

There is a maintenance person who will cut the grass, shovel the snow, (not in CA) fix the dishwasher, clean the hallways, keep the furnace/AC running, etc. When you rent a house, those duties fall to the tenant.
Ummmm no. Not here at least. Any home you rent, the landlord takes care of all repairs unless its arranged otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because a home is not for everyone. Either owning or renting. Some don't care to work on projects, mechanic work or give a crap about a garage or yard. And not everyone needs 17-2300 sq ft of living space and/or don't have the time for a big house and the upkeep it requires. And in some cases a apartment makes more sense financially.
So you are telling me people would rather pay the same price for a smaller place to live, no garage, no private yard, no private pool, neighbors all around you and have your car subject to vandalism? Oh, and a place that raises your rent hundreds of dollars at the end of every lease term? Wow, some bright people out there!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So you are telling me people would rather pay the same price for a smaller place to live, no garage, no private yard, no private pool, neighbors all around you and have your car subject to vandalism? Oh, and a place that raises your rent hundreds of dollars at the end of every lease term? Wow, some bright people out there!
You're projecting things that may or may not happen. Stop being silly.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:

Some people would pay same or more. A bigger house means more cooling more heating more cleaning more furniture more utilities.

Not all apartment complexes are crack head meeting places. And no matter where you go renting a house there is no guarantee you don't have crazy neighbor lottery. The house next door may be rented any day to Crazy Larry and Wild Mary and their 4 little monsters. And if you're renting there is no guarantee the rent stays the same no matter if its a house or apartment. And if you take a house and apartment in the SAME area a apartment is cheaper. Now if you're comparing a apartment in the heart of Irvine to a house in say GG or Anaheim yeah the prices will be "comparable" but it's not the same area. And even then, houses are higher priced. So depending on the locations you are comparing apartments will almost always be cheaper to rent than houses. Even by a few hundred bucks.

As for purchasing, not everyone wants to be tied down to a house. Like anything there are pluses and minuses to renting and to owning. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Say you have a guy renting a house for 2500 and another guy renting a apartment for 2500. Most apartments take care of a lot of utilities except for maybe electrical and gas. In some cases the utilities are included in the rent. The house renter has to pay all his utilities and they will be higher because of the bigger space. And rent goes up on both locations.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
You don't make them prove they make three times they're rent? No way I would ever rent to someone living paycheck to paycheck. Thats one missed paycheck away from being homeless. God forbid they lose their job. Always astounds me how many people don't have their finances in order, especially living in one of the most expensive areas in the country.
Geez what a dumb post. Here are several reasons people rent as opposed to buying:

(1) Cannot afford a downpayment. Have already bought their first home so they no longer qualify for FHA loans are are subject to.stricter requirements to qualify for a loan.

(2) No maintenance costs. Example: a friend sold his inherited home in Thousand Oaks because he could not afford to fork out $40,000 gor structural improvements needed.

(3) Relocation for job. Relocation for family. Relocation for divorce, beach life or any reason under the sun.

(4) Maybe they are testing the area to determine "if" they'd like to buy there. Just like renting a car at Enterprise before you head to the car lot.

(5) They do have the money to buy, but are more savy with investing and prefer to put money that would ordinarily go towards maintenance, taxes etc. in the stock market or elsewhere.

I have an attorney friend who rents for $2,100/mo. I asked him the same question. He said he rents because he does not want to be stuck in his current area. Says maintenance is a big hassle and he doesn't have the time or energy to deal with it. There you go.

Your OP sounded genuine enough, but the one that I am responding to reaks of arrogance. Who gives 2 flying F's how well your financial house is organized. Other people's aren't. Use your brain big guy and figure out the infinite number of reasons for that. Life does not treat everyone equally.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Lol have you been watching episodes of Goodtimes lately with Jimmy "Dynnnnomite" Walker to form these opinions? What kind of a sheltered life have you lived.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Geez what a dumb post. Here are several reasons people rent as opposed to buying:

(1) Cannot afford a downpayment. Have already bought their first home so they no longer qualify for FHA loans are are subject to.stricter requirements to qualify for a loan.

(2) No maintenance costs. Example: a friend sold his inherited home in Thousand Oaks because he could not afford to fork out $40,000 gor structural improvements needed.

(3) Relocation for job. Relocation for family. Relocation for divorce, beach life or any reason under the sun.

(4) Maybe they are testing the area to determine "if" they'd like to buy there. Just like renting a car at Enterprise before you head to the car lot.

(5) They do have the money to buy, but are more savy with investing and prefer to put money that would ordinarily go towards maintenance, taxes etc. in the stock market or elsewhere.

I have an attorney friend who rents for $2,100/mo. I asked him the same question. He said he rents because he does not want to be stuck in his current area. Says maintenance is a big hassle and he doesn't have the time or energy to deal with it. There you go.

Your OP sounded genuine enough, but the one that I am responding to reaks of arrogance. Who gives 2 flying F's how well your financial house is organized. Other people's aren't. Use your brain big guy and figure out the infinite number of reasons for that. Life does not treat everyone equally.

Geez what a dumb post, you need to learn how to read, I never said anything about buying a home, I said RENTING a home,

Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Say you have a guy renting a house for 2500 and another guy renting a apartment for 2500. Most apartments take care of a lot of utilities except for maybe electrical and gas. In some cases the utilities are included in the rent. The house renter has to pay all his utilities and they will be higher because of the bigger space. And rent goes up on both locations.
Ok, and how much is water and trash? Maybe like $12 a month for it, big deal, I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks to have a big house vs a little apartment any day of the week. Plus, you need to have renters insurance in an apartment complex, so there goes the difference right there. Having moved from an apartment to a house, I could never go back. As someone said earlier, I should be glad so many people do rent apartments. More houses to choose from for me.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,354 times
Because some people just are not very intelligent that's why.

A house will always be better than a apartment
because you own it outright. Nobody to tell you
get out if you miss a payment. IMO.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Geez what a dumb post, you need to learn how to read, I never said anything about buying a home, I said RENTING a home,
I read that the first time you posted it. And I responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County