Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 AM

162 posts, read 231,431 times

Advertisements

Hello forum. I'm considering a job offer that would take me to Irvine, CA and being an east coaster at heart (Boston born and currently in the Atlanta suburbs), I have no sweet clue about anything related to California.

I'm looking for probably the same thing as everybody else: Someplace as cheap as possible with a decent school district (we have 2 boys, age 2 and 4), within range of my potential new job in Irvine, CA. Both my wife and I are from pretty tough backgrounds, we don't mind being in an area that's a little rough around the edges as long as the schools aren't horrid. We're not coming out with dreams of life in the Hollywood Hills or anything like that, if an area isn't the greenest side of the mountain, we can deal with it.

I was looking kind of further out in the more rural areas, as I assumed they'd be cheaper and the commute times tend to be around 30-40 minutes, although I'm not sure how that would stack up with traffic, which I hear is horrible everywhere in CA.

If we're looking for rentals, I wouldn't want to be paying any more than 1500/month, at least not in the beginning.

So far I've looked into Perris, Anaheim, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, San Joaquin Hills, Tustin, and Irvine itself (although its rather out of our price range, I think)...and I can't seem to find any real information, just a lot of ads for free rent etc.

Appreciate any help in familiarizing myself with the area, because I know nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
I was looking kind of further out in the more rural areas, as I assumed they'd be cheaper and the commute times tend to be around 30-40 minutes, although I'm not sure how that would stack up with traffic, which I hear is horrible everywhere in CA.

If we're looking for rentals, I wouldn't want to be paying any more than 1500/month, at least not in the beginning.

So far I've looked into Perris, Anaheim, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, San Joaquin Hills, Tustin, and Irvine itself (although its rather out of our price range, I think)..
You would have a horrible commute from Perris into Irvine; and while you say you had it rough, I would imagine you want a nice quality of life both for yourselves and your children. I'm not sure you would experience that in Perris.

Irvine is most definitely not rural, nor are the other cities. Of the places you mentioned, you might be able to find a lower cost rental in Lake Forest:

Apartments for Rent in Lake Forest, CA - realtor.com®

Try nearby Laguna Hills, as well.

If you don't mind stretching your commute to perhaps up to an hour (would not really recommend it), but need a lower cost area if it can be rougher, try Vista and Oceanside in North San Diego County.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
I'm looking to move from Anaheim to a few of the areas you mentioned as well, so I'll be real with you. With your budget, you can forget irvine, lake forest, San Joaquin hills, Laguna hills and mission Viejo unless you want a tiny little 900 sqft apartment. Most larger 2 bed apartments in those areas are in the $1800+ range. You said you dont mind a rough neighborhood, so check out Anaheim and Santa Ana. Much cheaper but also lots of gang activity and illegal immigrants in most parts. You have areas further inland like Fullerton, garden grove, Westminster that would fit your budget and are better neighborhoods. If you don't mind a commute and want more rural, check out areas like Perris, temecula and Murrieta.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Perris, Temecula or Murrieta to Irvine would be a vey long and hellish commute.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Perris, Temecula or Murrieta to Irvine would be a vey long and hellish commute.
thousands and thousands of people do it everyday. Thats what happens when you can't afford to live near where you work. Thats life. I already gave suggestions that are cheaper inland but he mentioned rural which takes all of OC out of the discussion.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:43 PM

What about Fullerton, Garden Grove, Westminster...those looks like fairly decent places that are priced reasonably (considering). Anybody know anything about them and how they'd be commuting into Irvine and back every day?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
What about Fullerton, Garden Grove, Westminster...those looks like fairly decent places that are priced reasonably (considering). Anybody know anything about them and how they'd be commuting into Irvine and back every day?
Like I said, they are a bit safer than Anaheim and Santa Ana but like anywhere, they have bad areas. Lots of Asians in GG and Westminster and older homes from the 50s and 60s. You are going to be in bad traffic on the 22 and 5 in the morning and then on the drive home. Figure about 45-1 hour each way. Its southern California, traffic is bad everywhere. Just something you have to put up with if you want to live here.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM

Hey, what's wrong with Corona, CA? It seems to be within driving distance of Irvine and it's a lot more affordable. What's it like a total dump or something? It doesn't look that bad...anything going on there?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, what's wrong with Corona, CA? It seems to be within driving distance of Irvine and it's a lot more affordable. What's it like a total dump or something? It doesn't look that bad...anything going on there?
Corona is a decent area, its inland empire. Yes its driving distance, about 30 miles but the 241 is a toll road. Paying for it and going that way rather than the 91-55-5 would be much quicker but more costly. One good thing to do is go on Google maps around the time you would be driving to and then from work, type in the directions to the cities and look at the drive times since it accounts for traffic. That will give you a good idea.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM

56 posts, read 104,248 times
Quote:
Corona, as well as some of the Inland Empire cities might work, if you can either budget for the toll roads (can get pricey during peak commute times) or take the train into Irvine. The problem with living in the IE and working in OC is the 91 commute. What looks like only a 30 minute drive on a map can easily hit an hour or more during peak commute times.

My husband and I currently live in OC and are seriously considering a move to the South Corona, due to more affordability for our family. However, my husband could take the train into Orange and his employer discounts his monthly pass. If he had to drive it everyday, we wouldn't even consider it... it's pretty bad. You could check with your employer and see if they offer discounted passes.

Here is the link for the train:

Welcome to Metrolink

Best wishes with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County