Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

Yes, you can drink it - and you probably are: O.C. toilet-to-tap recycled water program is expanding - The Orange County Register
Get used to toilet-to-tap water, Californians told | Environment | The Guardian

I understand that North OC uses the most technologically advanced system to filter everything out, and that the water tastes good, and that should be commended as cutting edge, but what about very tiny particulates such as hormones and dissolved pharmaceuticals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
What's wrong? Afraid you'll get a nice set of double D's.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:23 PM

285 posts, read 534,540 times
This makes me never want to touch water again.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Let's protest and ensure we do not have to drink this or demand that they demonstrate their ability to filter it all out.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Well the filtration system works so well, that they then inject the water with certain minerals afterwards to make up for what they take out.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,728 times
I thought all of OC is toilet to tap? When I heard of this years ago, I was shocked that the affluent wouldn't protest.

They are thinking of doing this in parts of San Diego also. It does have that puke factor, but it's amazing what all the filtering and cleaning can do.

I had water from Long Beach's Desalination plant--polluted ocean water to bottled drinking water--and the filtered water was refreshing!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
From memory as a kid in 80's I believe they were doing it back then. I was going to school in CM and the water folks at smelly FV plant came over and told us toilet to tap.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I run my water through another filtration system but that just removes chlorine and some minerals.

Most people I know don't drink tap water they may use it for cooking, pets, etc.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
Soylent Green did it too

Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Yes, you can drink it - and you probably are: O.C. toilet-to-tap recycled water program is expanding - The Orange County Register
Get used to toilet-to-tap water, Californians told | Environment | The Guardian

I understand that North OC uses the most technologically advanced system to filter everything out, and that the water tastes good, and that should be commended as cutting edge, but what about very tiny particulates such as hormones and dissolved pharmaceuticals?
The article mentions reverse osmosis as being part of the process so pharmaceuticals should be filtered out at this stage. My knowledge of active pharmaceutical compounds is not comprehensive at all but every molecular diagram that I remember seeing were significantly larger and more complex than H2O, so they're not getting through the RO membrane. Even salts won't make it through, never mind microorganisms.

The OC Register article mentions UV treatment as the 3rd step but neglected to mention the addition of hydrogen peroxide as part of that overall 3rd step, which as a strong oxidizer will definitely take apart any remaining particulates that somehow finds its way into the post RO water. Unused hydrogen peroxide will degrade on its own, especially after exposure to air and light.

Furthermore, this purified ex-sewage is not going to be directly mixed into the tap water that's delivered to homes. It is going to be used to recharge aquifers and they will let the water seep through sand and rock to reach the underground aquifers that they are recharging.

It should be safe to assume that the water pulled back up from the aquifer would then go through the usual round of processing (filters, chlorine, etc.) by the water distributors that pump to our taps.

I'm feeling the ick factor a little bit but rationally I have no complaint with their system, based just on the basic overview presented.

Programs & Projects | Orange County Water District | OCWD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County