Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 AM

962 posts, read 631,586 times

Advertisements

Santa Ana has an average household size of about 4.9, according to Census statistics, and most of Orange County also has a household occupation number that's very high.

It seems like half of the reason for this is that there are up to 10 people living in a one-bedroom apartment in much of this county. What strikes me is that it seems like the norm for people to sublet their apartment to other strangers, yet they find out they have issues with that later on. First of all, there is NO WAY that 10 people can live comfortably in a one-bedroom, if they all can live in a crowded space like that at all. Secondly, if subletting to strangers, it can lead to additional problems later on, such as children having asthma attacks because of the secondary residents of the house smoking around them, or fear that the children could somehow be abused by them, or third, if the primary residents don't allow the strangers to access half the house, that's an additional issue if they can't cook their own food or use the bathroom without permission from the main residents.

These are all common issues of subletting to strangers. If these are issues for them, they should just kick them out. why do they sublet their houses to strangers (without interviewing them first)anyway if they have these concerns? Is it mandatory to sublet houses in Orange County?

Has it ever been thought of, to build additional houses in this place to ease the overcrowding? Is it because there aren't very many open or unused houses for new residents to occupy or purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Yeah, the costs of clearing the land to build earthquake proof skyscrapers is astronomical. Bribing politicians to circumvent restrictions, paying off the existing home owners, cost of the land etc.

The demand is so high that people have to put up with creative arrangements to survive.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times
It's all about the dollar, some people have a lot of them, some don't have enough.
Unfortunately, for the ones who don't have enough, you do what you have to do to survive which includes living in conditions that you can afford.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM

108 posts, read 125,617 times
I take it you're not going to be subleasing your place...

Why do you care if these folks are willing to cram into a space or not? Are they polluting your existence?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Here we go again. Yet another illegal alien discussion and then a jab at Santa Ana. Everyone knows about this...next.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,666,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Here we go again. Yet another illegal alien discussion and then a jab at Santa Ana. Everyone knows about this...next.
The OP is some guy with < 10 total posts and is from Illinois. He won't ever return.

Pointless thread.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
The OP is some guy with < 10 total posts and is from Illinois. He won't ever return.

Pointless thread.
I have used online forums before, and I do live in Illinois. But I've heard about that place, like most of the LA suburbs, having issues with overcrowding. I joined here recently but have went to this site for reference for a year before. I feel kind of bad about being judged as a newbie to this forum. Is it against the rules to ask about a particular location if you don't live there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
It's all about the dollar, some people have a lot of them, some don't have enough.
Unfortunately, for the ones who don't have enough, you do what you have to do to survive which includes living in conditions that you can afford.
Does this include "average" people too? As in, those who make an average amount of money, meaning someone who is neither rich or poor? So the average family can't even afford a house in Orange County?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusMutation View Post
I take it you're not going to be subleasing your place...

Why do you care if these folks are willing to cram into a space or not? Are they polluting your existence?
Since it seems like half the people who live there sublease their apartments and houses, that makes it look like it's somehow mandatory to do so, because most people wouldn't want to put up with crowded living spaces.

Quote:
Santa Ana stood out to me only because of their severe overcrowding and I wanted to know why.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 07-28-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Slow day for trolls.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:21 PM

600 posts, read 825,327 times
Well, your location says "Illinois". As someone who is originally from Indiana, the cost of living is not even remotely comparable to OC. Back in the Midwest everyone has their 600+sq. 1 bedroom apartment. No one rooms except college students (maybe).

Here in OC and LA County everyone crams into a small space. There are very very few people living by themselves in a 1 bedroom.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Well, your location says "Illinois". As someone who is originally from Indiana, the cost of living is not even remotely comparable to OC. Back in the Midwest everyone has their 600+sq. 1 bedroom apartment. No one rooms except college students (maybe).

Here in OC and LA County everyone crams into a small space. There are very very few people living by themselves in a 1 bedroom.
The cost of living here in Illinois is high but nowhere near as high as there. There aren't many overcrowding problems here as far as I know, and the cost of living is somewhat lower in the suburbs.

I know that other major cities, like New York, have overcrowding, but even they don't have a bunch of people living in one house.

Are public places in OC also overcrowded a lot of the time, such as schools, or department stores? Or is the problem that most of the jobs there are used up that there aren't many more hiring spots left?

What makes OC expensive to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County