Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post

What makes OC expensive to live in?
Supply and demand. There aren't enough homes/apartments for all of the of people who want to live in a place where they can go to the beach in February.

While you're be shoveling 18" of snow off the walk.

We won't go into living in Illinois and having to deal with humidity that can grow mushrooms on the carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM

600 posts, read 825,327 times
Quote:
The cost of living here in Illinois is high but nowhere near as high as there. There aren't many overcrowding problems here as far as I know, and the cost of living is somewhat lower in the suburbs.

I know that other major cities, like New York, have overcrowding, but even they don't have a bunch of people living in one house.

Are public places in OC also overcrowded a lot of the time, such as schools, or department stores? Or is the problem that most of the jobs there are used up that there aren't many more hiring spots left?

What makes OC expensive to live in?
Unless you are living in Chicago (Cook County actually), the cost of living isn't that high in Illinois. The taxes are higher in IL compared to IN, but the overall cost of living is cheaper with the exception of Chicago of course.

You make a good point and you are correct. The reason why OC and LA are expensive are primarly:

1. High demand area, due to weather and whatnot.
2. Overpopulation. California has over 30 million people. Indiana has 6 million. Most people live in Southern California.

Most of the places in OC are crowded. If you need to go anywhere unless its very close by expect to spend 1hr commuting. Also parking, forget it. Before in Indiana I just "park further down". Here parking is as rare of a commodity as water.

There's virtually no similarities from the Midwest to California.

When I was in Indiana, I lived in a 1 bedroom 1 bath 800sq apartment, only 7 years old, full electric, full balcony, 1 car garage, 7 miles away from the capital downtown Indianapolis (Colts Stadium close by), washer and dryer INCLUDED, and FREE water. I did not pay utilities, just electric for the place. I paid $650/month.

That similar set up I described would easily cost over $2,000/month here in OC. Probably even close to $3,000 being as new as my place was.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,906 times
It's not just Santa Ana. My wife grew up in Westminster during the 80s and revisiting her neighborhood was an eye-opener for her. The streets are littered with cars because every household seems to have 3-6 drivers living in them. Her friend's neighborhood in Anaheim Hills is now exactly the same, as was my childhood neighborhood in Costa Mesa. My mom's neighborhood in Huntington Harbor wasn't changed much (the neighborhood is full of baby-boomers), but a house down the street was purchased and completely remodeled. The occupants are 4 white-collar looking singles in their late 20s.

When you put it all together, it seems that the high price of housing and flat wage growth has encouraged folks to share a home (whether they are boomerang adult-kids, renting a room, or living multi-generational).

Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,540,389 times
Quote:
Santa Ana has an average household size of about 4.9, according to Census statistics, and most of Orange County also has a household occupation number that's very high.
No, OC does not have an average household occupation thats very high. At 2.97, its hardly above the CA average of 2.88. As for Santa Ana, its an easy answer. Take a look at the demographics and median household income of Santa Ana. Self explanatory.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
It's not just Santa Ana. My wife grew up in Westminster during the 80s and revisiting her neighborhood was an eye-opener for her. The streets are littered with cars because every household seems to have 3-6 drivers living in them. Her friend's neighborhood in Anaheim Hills is now exactly the same, as was my childhood neighborhood in Costa Mesa. My mom's neighborhood in Huntington Harbor wasn't changed much (the neighborhood is full of baby-boomers), but a house down the street was purchased and completely remodeled. The occupants are 4 white-collar looking singles in their late 20s.

When you put it all together, it seems that the high price of housing and flat wage growth has encouraged folks to share a home (whether they are boomerang adult-kids, renting a room, or living multi-generational).
It's why I can't live on East Side even if I wanted to pay realistically around 1800

Old 07-29-2015, 06:21 AM

962 posts, read 631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
The streets are littered with cars because every household seems to have 3-6 drivers living in them.
Just a side note, why don't people put their cars in garages anymore? I've noticed in the last several years, fewer people use their garage, and besides, it is meant to protect your car to prevent issues like car thefts, or having to shovel snow off your car, or if your car has some kind of violation (like an expired license plate), you won't get a ticket for it out of shock.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times
What is this snow that you talk about ?
If it has water in it, we'll take several tons of it !

Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM

78 posts, read 127,983 times
Overcrowding is generally the rule for any city with many recent immigrants from relatively poor countries such as Mexico, and Vietnam. My family came here in 1990 and 12 people lived in a 3 bedroom apartment and we lived like that for 4 years. You also have richer immigrants from China and Taiwan and they tend to live in cities like Irvine with no overcrowding issues.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,268 times
Santa Ana, CA isn't even top 10. Colorado City AZ is #1 with an avg household size of 9.18. Next. If you look at the charts, the red states once again tops the charts.

Top 10: Cities by Average Size of a Household - PolicyMap

Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

962 posts, read 631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Supply and demand. There aren't enough homes/apartments for all of the of people who want to live in a place where they can go to the beach in February.

While you're be shoveling 18" of snow off the walk.

We won't go into living in Illinois and having to deal with humidity that can grow mushrooms on the carpeting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
The reason why OC and LA are expensive are primarly:

1. High demand area, due to weather and whatnot.
2. Overpopulation. California has over 30 million people. Indiana has 6 million. Most people live in Southern California.
On a side note, why do a lot of people choose California over Texas or Florida? Those places also have nice weather year-round (as in warm weather all year). Florida doesn't usually get extremely hot in the summer either.

Texas has over 25 million people, and Florida has about 18 million, and those are the next two most populated states after California. Neither of those places have a cost of living as high as that, and many people go to southern Florida for vacation in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County