Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzer25 View Post
Thanks.

I meant Woodbridge HS.

Apart from API scores, is there a difference in terms of students going to top colleges from these 3 schools?
Sunny Hills, Irvine, Woodbridge and Beckman?

I'm a retired high school college counselor. Here's what you need to do: Call the counseling office of each of the high schools. Explain that you're trying to make a decision about where to relocate. Ask if it would be possible to get a copy of their College Profile -- this is a little report that most high schools put together to send to colleges. It will usually tell you:

1. The number of Advanced Placement and Honors Classes offered by a high school, how many students enroll in them, and the average AP scores. (This is very important information for college admissions, especially the UC system).

2. Average SAT and ACT scores (college entrance exam scores). Current National average is about 500 on all three sections -- SAT and ACT scores are not a perfect indicator of the strength of a h.s., but they are a decent data point.

3. Percentage of students going directly into two year and four year colleges after graduation. Many Profiles will also list the actual colleges their most recent graduating class attended. Here in California, it is not at all unusual to see most students heading to either the Cal States or the UC's, rather than private colleges.

4. The Profile will also give you some information about the school's approach to curriculum, extracurriculars, and student demographics. These are all good things to know in advance.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that *sometimes* a highly competitive school where every parent is going nuts about getting their kids into college is not always the best choice --- if you have a bunch of nervous parents and students all gunning for valedictorian it can be hard to stand out in the crowd. You do, however, want a school where you children will be fully challenged academically (that's where those AP courses come in) and where the school's counseling staff is at least somewhat aware of what colleges outside of the UC and Cal States are looking for in applicants (this can be much harder to find). It never hurts to sniff around to see what type of support is offered to students by the counseling staff, although, sadly, here in California, our school counselors have one of the highest counselor-to-student ratios in the entire nation, so don't count on much personalized help when it comes to college planning.

In fact, its unlikely that you'll be able to talk to a school counselor yourself during these calls, but usually someone in the office can forward a copy of the Profile, or tell you where to find it on their website if they have it posted there (most schools don't).

Good luck with your move and home search.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-26-2015 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Also, you're really smart to be thinking ahead like this. Too often, I see parents posting here asking about elementary schools, but in reality, when you're relocating or buying a new house, what you need to be thinking about is the WHOLE educational picture, from elementary through middle school through high school (and, one might argue, to college too in a sense since you want your kids to be prepared for college). So, I always encourage people to look at the whole picture. We have lots of great elementary schools in California, fewer outstanding middle schools, and even fewer truly outstanding high schools (based on my experience working with kids throughout California as a private college counselor, I've come to believe that we don't put nearly enough attention on high school!). They all feed into each other, so the big picture approach is the best one, in my opinion. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM

81 posts, read 159,915 times
Are you Asian? But seriously, Fisler is predominantly Asian, which partly explains the test scores.

I live in the Sunny Hills area and can say it is a nice play to live overall.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:06 PM

88 posts, read 168,335 times
Fullerton is just a lame suburb. Typical lame suburb.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:21 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
Your post is just a lame post. Typical lame post.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
I like suburbs.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresrr View Post
Are you Asian? But seriously, Fisler is predominantly Asian, which partly explains the test scores.

I live in the Sunny Hills area and can say it is a nice play to live overall.

Not Asian. Should I be concerned that my children will have difficulty fitting in because they are not Asian?

Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
The only issue I have with Fullerton or any North County city...........commute/drive time to where the jobs really are...........Irvine and other places generally not in Fullerton

Fullerton is good if you work in LA county and want a better life or have a job within a reasonable commute time of your Fullerton residence which is hard to find that's why I pay more rent to live in.........Irvine because the jobs are closer by.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 PM

347 posts, read 666,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The only issue I have with Fullerton or any North County city...........commute/drive time to where the jobs really are...........Irvine and other places generally not in Fullerton

Fullerton is good if you work in LA county and want a better life or have a job within a reasonable commute time of your Fullerton residence which is hard to find that's why I pay more rent to live in.........Irvine because the jobs are closer by.
Uhhhhh Anaheim Canyon is the second largest business complex in Orange County and one of the largest in the state. Literally just a hop over the 57.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:19 PM

329 posts, read 656,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Also, you're really smart to be thinking ahead like this. Too often, I see parents posting here asking about elementary schools, but in reality, when you're relocating or buying a new house, what you need to be thinking about is the WHOLE educational picture, from elementary through middle school through high school (and, one might argue, to college too in a sense since you want your kids to be prepared for college). So, I always encourage people to look at the whole picture. We have lots of great elementary schools in California, fewer outstanding middle schools, and even fewer truly outstanding high schools (based on my experience working with kids throughout California as a private college counselor, I've come to believe that we don't put nearly enough attention on high school!). They all feed into each other, so the big picture approach is the best one, in my opinion. Good luck!

Nice point.

Is it true that University High is not doing that good compared to Northwood these days

Hows Woodbridge or Irvine high compared to the above 2?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County