Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 07:12 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
How did this topic attract so many crazy alums of the UC Citrus Experiment Station? Of the 49,433 applicants to the UC Citrus Experiment Station in 2020, only 16,725 were not accepted. That is a 66% acceptance rate. Hardly selective.

Many PASSIONATE UC Riverside Highlander alumni out there that will defend their campus from elitist private school type snobs that probably never set foot on the beautiful UC Riverside campus (take a tour of it please to see it for yourself) let alone the entire vast Inland Empire itself...Riverside county is the third fastest growing county in the nation now (many millennials heading there)...moving upward and onward and rapidly carrying more influence as a county in the state of California.

2021 US News shows the acceptance rate as "more selective" at 57% here (varies year to year, but should keep dropping as admission standards keep getting tougher every year)...

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...riverside-1316

Ah yes, the Citrus Experiment Station (not going to count the citrus varieties listed here)! Students are allowed to pick the citrus on campus (although a lot of funky novelty varieties). And yes, the cuties everybody likes to eat were developed at UC Riverside!

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/alphabetical.html

https://askinglot.com/who-invented-the-cutie-orange

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-09-2021 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 08:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Quote:
How did this topic attract so many crazy alums of the UC Citrus Experiment Station? Of the 49,433 applicants to the UC Citrus Experiment Station in 2020, only 16,725 were not accepted. That is a 66% acceptance rate. Hardly selective.
UC Riverside has always tried to keep acceptance rate high for nearly its lifetime, but state budget cuts that invented in 2004, and rising number of applicants permanently switches to a "selective" admissions process.

https://newsroom.ucr.edu/786

"The campus had been increasing admission offers by an average of 12 percent per year since 2000... (from 80% to 85% at the end.)

"Based on increasing enrollment demand at UC Riverside, the campus is preparing for a selective admissions environment by Fall 2005." (which still exists today after 16 years.)

I went to UCR in 2002-2007, so I saw it all. It used to be a dummy school with dummy kids around that the university believed that they deserved a second-chance in life. Some students I've met only earned a 2.3 GPA from high school, and still was accepted. Acceptance rate was 85% when it peaked in 2003. Today, it's not the case anymore. Much more smarter kids today enrolled than I was there.

Riverside rates higher on humanity and kindness than Irvine, after multiple trips between the two cities back and forth that I see repeatedly all the time. Irvine rates low on housing security and high costs of living, due to more snobbish attitude. Prices on goods are much higher too, so less humanity and less kindness. Less authentic human beings live in Irvine than in Riverside.

Last edited by waltchan; 05-09-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 09:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Riverside has been trying to be the ‘cool’ IE city since I can remember. Still hasn’t happened, I can’t ever seeing it happen. It’s trying to be what Redlands is at a bigger scale. If anything Rancho Cucamonga has done a much better job with Victoria Gardens and has better hiking trails.

I live in Irvine now. It’s the most cookie cutter city ever. But there’s a lot more to do nearby. Comparing the two cities is very strange. Very different lifestyle. No one prefers Riverside if they can afford Irvine.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Riverside has been trying to be the ‘cool’ IE city since I can remember. Still hasn’t happened, I can’t ever seeing it happen. It’s trying to be what Redlands is at a bigger scale. If anything Rancho Cucamonga has done a much better job with Victoria Gardens and has better hiking trails.

I live in Irvine now. It’s the most cookie cutter city ever. But there’s a lot more to do nearby. Comparing the two cities is very strange. Very different lifestyle. No one prefers Riverside if they can afford Irvine.
I actually graduated from UC Riverside back in the late 80's (grew up near Irvine...always thought it was boring...nice though) when the campus was five times smaller without any gentrification in the city yet. So much growth that I barely recognize the campus (and city) now. I checked out University of Redlands back then too...as I was a competitive tennis player and they had a good Division 3 team. Nice private school campus...unfortunately way too costly for me without a scholarship. Know a few people from there...they liked it.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:43 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Many PASSIONATE UC Riverside Highlander alumni out there that will defend their campus from elitist private school type snobs that probably never set foot on the beautiful UC Riverside campus (take a tour of it please to see it for yourself) let alone the entire vast Inland Empire itself...Riverside county is the third fastest growing county in the nation now (many millennials heading there)...moving upward and onward and rapidly carrying more influence as a county in the state of California.
When you assume, you.... well you know the rest.

I went to Berkeley, a perfectly nice public university. My parents were married at the Mission Inn almost 70 years ago and we make annual trips to the Inn, usually at Christmas time.

I also remember going two UCR football games, one at Cal State Fullerton and one on campus against CPP. Been to UCR many times since then. As to Riverside county's growth rate, I'll take your source for "3rd fastest growing". The county's growth rate probably isn't in the top 50. In total numbers, it is probably top 10, but a low rate, maybe 1.5% or so.

Quote:
2021 US News shows the acceptance rate as "more selective" at 57% here (varies year to year, but should keep dropping as admission standards keep getting tougher every year)
My bad I used the University of California's official numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Much more smarter kids today enrolled than I was there.
Well that is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Riverside rates higher on humanity and kindness than Irvine
What does that psychobabble even mean? I am sure you have a source you can quote?

Quote:
Less authentic human beings live in Irvine than in Riverside.
How many absurd things can you say in one post?

Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
UC Riverside has always tried to keep acceptance rate high for nearly its lifetime, but state budget cuts that invented in 2004, and rising number of applicants permanently switches to a "selective" admissions process.

https://newsroom.ucr.edu/786

"The campus had been increasing admission offers by an average of 12 percent per year since 2000... (from 80% to 85% at the end.)

"Based on increasing enrollment demand at UC Riverside, the campus is preparing for a selective admissions environment by Fall 2005." (which still exists today after 16 years.)

I went to UCR in 2002-2007, so I saw it all. It used to be a dummy school with dummy kids around that the university believed that they deserved a second-chance in life. Some students I've met only earned a 2.3 GPA from high school, and still was accepted. Acceptance rate was 85% when it peaked in 2003. Today, it's not the case anymore. Much more smarter kids today enrolled than I was there.

Riverside rates higher on humanity and kindness than Irvine, after multiple trips between the two cities back and forth that I see repeatedly all the time. Irvine rates low on housing security and high costs of living, due to more snobbish attitude. Prices on goods are much higher too, so less humanity and less kindness. Less authentic human beings live in Irvine than in Riverside.
UC Riverside and UC Santa Cruz used to be the redirect schools for those not getting in to their first choice back when you were only able to apply to ONE UC back in the 80's and 90's when Affirmative Action was still in existence. Not anymore although UC Merced took over the slack for a while when it first opened up around 2006. I don't recall any 2.3 GPA students at UCR as you needed at least a 3.0 to qualify to a UC (top 12.5% of high school class)...maybe different in 2002-2007 along with some athletic scholarship candidates? However, I do recall many high school classmates with terrible GPA's getting accepted to the "party school" of San Diego State University back in my day. Now supposedly has a much better reputation and one of the top Cal State Universities...how times have changed!

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-09-2021 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
When you assume, you.... well you know the rest.

I went to Berkeley, a perfectly nice public university. My parents were married at the Mission Inn almost 70 years ago and we make annual trips to the Inn, usually at Christmas time.

I also remember going two UCR football games, one at Cal State Fullerton and one on campus against CPP. Been to UCR many times since then. As to Riverside county's growth rate, I'll take your source for "3rd fastest growing". The county's growth rate probably isn't in the top 50. In total numbers, it is probably top 10, but a low rate, maybe 1.5% or so.

My bad I used the University of California's official numbers.

Well that is pretty obvious.

What does that psychobabble even mean? I am sure you have a source you can quote?

How many absurd things can you say in one post?
Yes, an assumption generally true...nice that not in your case about UCR as you have been there and know the history. The Press Enterprise quoted Riverside County as the "third fastest in the nation" in an old article...maybe different now? Still growing very fast though. And yes, UC Riverside & UC Santa Barbara both had football up into the 70's before budget cuts eliminated them. Butch Johnson (and his infamous Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl catch) is a UCR alumnus from back in the day.
https://www.highlandernews.org/1578/...is-alma-mater/

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-09-2021 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Quote:
However, I do recall many high school classmates with terrible GPA's getting accepted to the "party school" of San Diego State University back then. Now supposedly has a much better reputation and one of the top Cal State Universities...how times have changed!
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2QJ8F2QwVU

I've always wished UCR is like this too. Instead, it's a commuter university.

(These are REAL, genuine human beings, neither rich nor poor. Better than Irvine, in my own opinion.)

Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 AM

426 posts, read 353,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
OK, I can sort of speak to this on an up-to-the-minute level. My daughter put in four college applications this spring and she only applied to the schools she was genuinely interested in going to (i.e. she did not apply to Berkeley just in hopes of the bragging rights of getting in). Riverside was another school she did not apply to, because of the heat and the air pollution and it's just kind of icky out there.

She was accepted at UCLA, UCSD, and UCI. She was wait-listed at Davis, go figure. Most likely she will sign with UCI because it is logistically the easiest for us. Perhaps UCI was "so far down the list" when amokk was in school, but it's virtually tied with UCSD now and none of us will think "something went wrong" if she goes there; that's a pretty snobbish attitude.
I'm an education snob. I want what's best for my kids. Period. I would tell your daughter to be careful about turning down UCLA over UCI. And I say that as someone with an MBA from UCI. They gave me a hefty discount and that way I didn't have to drive my ass up to USC while working full time in Irvine. However, for picking an undergrad...UCI is a strong regional school, but unless there was significant tuition assistance... why stay in Orange County? Go somewhere different, get out of the nest.

And yes, in the last 15 years UCI has climbed substantially. Its Law School has performed especially well . When I graduated HS (mid 2000's) UCI was solidly in the 40's, UCSD was in the 30's, and Berkeley/UCLA were in the 20's.

https://publicuniversityhonors.com/2...ies-1983-2007/

Last edited by amokk; 05-10-2021 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 12:32 AM

426 posts, read 353,232 times
Quote:
UC Riverside Highlander alumnus from way back...waltchan is right about UC Riverside and UC Merced...both moving up FAST.

UC Riverside had the biggest US News jump in the nation a few years back and is one of the fastest growing UC's for a reason still having a personal touch that most others lack. Oh yes, it has the first new Medical School in California in 50 years to boot...will continue onward and upward in a big way. Received a solid education/college experience at UC Riverside...go Highlanders!!

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/0...-news-rankings

The newest UC...UC Merced also had the biggest US News jump in the nation recently and will continue onward and upward in a big way.

https://news.ucmerced.edu/news/2019/...-news-rankings
Kaiser has a new medical school that started in 2020 in Pasadena.

Also, I would not be touching a UC Riverside doctor with a ten foot pole. In twenty years? Maybe...

In 2011 the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) denied preliminary accreditation to the UCR School of Medicine, based primarily on the LCME's assessment that the school had not demonstrated sufficient financial resources to sustain a sound program of medical education. In addition, the LCME found inadequate strategic planning, insufficient key personnel, and weak policies and procedures related to student advancement and diversity. The LCME also found limited clinical education opportunities in psychiatry and pediatrics. The school declined to appeal this decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County