Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Uhh no, the only major differences is, car payment, student loans, and cost of housing... I'm assuming 1 bedroom apartment. You also forgot car insurance and renter's insurance too, I guess you're taking a huge risk by going without it.
You can buy a used Honda Civic for $7,500 on Autotrader right now that will last you 10-15 years easy. You want to drive a Range Rover?

My car insurance right now is $35 a month for full coverage on one my cars. Renter's insurance can be found for $20 a month.

Anymore ticky tack expenses you want to try and inflate?

The student loan payment can be ridiculous depending on what you borrowed during school. If you decided to borrow a ton of money (like a lot of millennials do), and not do things to mitigate the amount you had to borrow, then that is indeed a handicap to you in terms of your income, but one that is self-inflicted for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No it wouldn't. There are plenty of people who live in OC perfectly fine on 80k.
Yes perfectly fine as in, you only rent a room for $800.

Here in Arizona, my rent for my own place with a laundry room W/D inside, walk in closet is roughly $890, roughly 1000 sq ft, in basically a very safe neighborhood comparable to Irvine/Newport Beach. Now if we compare apples to apples, I don't have a spending problem, the cost of housing alone is just outrageous.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
You can buy a used Honda Civic for $7,500 on Autotrader right now that will last you 10-15 years easy. You want to drive a Range Rover?

My car insurance right now is $35 a month for full coverage on one my cars. Renter's insurance can be found for $20 a month.

Anymore ticky tack expenses you want to try and inflate?
Well here's the problem, if you can call it ticky tack expenses. You're lowering your standard of living to basically be in SoCal... Basically you're saying, you'll never buy a new car and only buy beaters to save on insurance? My car insurance in Arizona for my Prius (which I bought new), is roughly $70/mo. When I was in LA, it was roughly 150.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes perfectly fine as in, you only rent a room for $800.

Here in Arizona, my rent for my own place with a laundry room W/D inside, walk in closet is roughly $890, roughly 1000 sq ft, in basically a very safe neighborhood comparable to Irvine/Newport Beach. Now if we compare apples to apples, I don't have a spending problem, the cost of housing alone is just outrageous.
Living in a room temporarily. That's the problem with millennials, they aren't willing to be patient to get what they want.

Arizona is not a bad move, it's cheaper and fits you better in terms of your income. That being said, where you live might be "safe" as Irvine and Newport Beach, but the reason Irvine and Newport are expensive is not just due to the fact that they are safe.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well here's the problem, if you can call it ticky tack expenses. You're lowering your standard of living to basically be in SoCal... Basically you're saying, you'll never buy a new car and only buy beaters to save on insurance? My car insurance in Arizona for my Prius (which I bought new), is roughly $70/mo. When I was in LA, it was roughly 150.
I never said you'll "never" own a new car, that's temporary. That's the thing you're missing. All of that penny pinching is temporary so that you can save money for something you want.

Now if the positives of living in California over Arizona don't apply to you, then you're right, the California sunshine tax is not worth the extra money required.

But there are people (many, many people) who are willing to pay the price premium to live in Coastal California. One of my homes is renting for $8,000 a month right this very second, so people do pay the price premium. You may not be among them, but there are plenty of people who make $80k who make it work, and buy their own home in California. It may not be some 3,000 sqft home located on 2 acres, but it can be a 2-3 bedroom condo and 1,500 sqft which is plenty of living space for 1-4 people.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,899 times
That's what happens when you bring in millions of illegal aliens. Not only do they take the low unskilled jobs but the entry level and trade jobs too. They can buy a complete set of documents with a green card or passport for a few thousand dollars. Their kids which will recieve free educatons will compete directly with millineals and natural born citizens. Add in the automation trends and it's pretty easy to underatand how we got here.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
That's what happens when you bring in millions of illegal aliens. Not only do they take the low unskilled jobs but the entry level and trade jobs too. They can buy a complete set of documents with a green card or passport for a few thousand dollars. Their kids which will recieve free educatons will compete directly with millineals and natural born citizens. Add in the automation trends and it's pretty easy to underatand how we got here.
So does that mean despite the odds, you'll get out and vote?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Ha. I received my education and established myself in my career. Affordable housing is something that should be attainable, but that isn't the case in Southern California.
Yes, it SHOULD be but it's not by design. Liberal states don't WANT people that work for a living to be there. They want the 1%, and the poor. The middle class including the upper middle is an inconvenience to them.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Living in a room temporarily. That's the problem with millennials, they aren't willing to be patient to get what they want.

Arizona is not a bad move, it's cheaper and fits you better in terms of your income. That being said, where you live might be "safe" as Irvine and Newport Beach, but the reason Irvine and Newport are expensive is not just due to the fact that they are safe.
There's a limit to patience for everyone. Back in the old days, you weren't required to have a college degree to have a middle class job and home ownership. Now? It's basically a must have, and particularly in SoCal, you better get your degree in a field that pays, otherwise, you won't be able to make it. Sad to say, Millennials often get talked down like you saying, we're impatient, want it all, yet no one forgets to mention that we MUST go to college to have a shot at the "American Dream" everyone talks about.

You can test your patience, just try to own a home in San Francisco, see how long it'll take you to buy the equivalent of a $500k condo on top of going to school to get a BS and MS like me in a tough field. It's all about perspective. If you look at the big picture, there's only a few cities in the entire country that needs to sacrifice the way you need to in SoCal to own a decent home. Same thing as me saying, why should I sit in traffic on the freeways when it's a parking lot for 2 hours a day? You're wasting your life as far as I know and you're doing it, all for location.

There will always be people who will want to live in SoCal, but for me and many others (many ex-Californians in Arizona), say yes, LA is a nice city to visit and vacation, but to live in it will require sacrifices far beyond average America and then it becomes a cost benefit analysis. The sunshine tax is extremely high compared to the rest of America, only a few other cities beats LA...

Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
There's a limit to patience for everyone. Back in the old days, you weren't required to have a college degree to have a middle class job and home ownership. Now? It's basically a must have, and particularly in SoCal, you better get your degree in a field that pays, otherwise, you won't be able to make it. Sad to say, Millennials often get talked down like you saying, we're impatient, want it all, yet no one forgets to mention that we MUST go to college to have a shot at the "American Dream" everyone talks about.

You can test your patience, just try to own a home in San Francisco, see how long it'll take you to buy the equivalent of a $500k condo on top of going to school to get a BS and MS like me in a tough field. It's all about perspective. If you look at the big picture, there's only a few cities in the entire country that needs to sacrifice the way you need to in SoCal to own a decent home. Same thing as me saying, why should I sit in traffic on the freeways when it's a parking lot for 2 hours a day? You're wasting your life as far as I know and you're doing it, all for location.

There will always be people who will want to live in SoCal, but for me and many others (many ex-Californians in Arizona), say yes, LA is a nice city to visit and vacation, but to live in it will require sacrifices far beyond average America and then it becomes a cost benefit analysis. The sunshine tax is extremely high compared to the rest of America, only a few other cities beats LA...
Good points. I think; however, people need to realize that places like coastal SoCal are highly competitive and people are willing to sacrifice (or are forced to get money from a source other than income, e.g. parents, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County