Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Right now, I'm in Northern San Diego and love it.

However, I'm possibly getting a job in Carson. My sister is possibly going to start going to school in Irvine.

Cost wise, seems like it's a bit more than San Diego. I've been lucky where I'm at, rent hasn't gone up since I moved in but I did a side by side, seems like OC is about $150 more right now.

I'm looking for a 2 bed / 2 bath for $2200. I see some within that range so I think I can manage. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley so I'm familiar with Orange County but I don't know much about 405 freeway except how horrible it always tends to be.

Map and miles wise, I'm thinking Huntington Beach is the best middle spot for our commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
HB or Costa Misery (or adjacent Fountain Valley) are probably about halfway, and still decent areas to live. I would aim for something 405 adjacent (near South Coast Plaza maybe? Like the places in the 500 block of Baker st (Baker/Bristol) or the ones on Paularino at Bear St.).

It would be crazy to commute from North SD to Carson. The traffic through the Pendleton and San Clemente areas is constant and without discernible cause, and the 405 traffic through Long Beach blows.

Just my .02

Old 10-23-2018, 05:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
HB or Costa Misery (or adjacent Fountain Valley) are probably about halfway, and still decent areas to live. I would aim for something 405 adjacent (near South Coast Plaza maybe? Like the places in the 500 block of Baker st (Baker/Bristol) or the ones on Paularino at Bear St.).

It would be crazy to commute from North SD to Carson. The traffic through the Pendleton and San Clemente areas is constant and without discernible cause, and the 405 traffic through Long Beach blows.

Just my .02
You are correct. A North SD to Carson commute would be insane.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 AM

82 posts, read 91,387 times
I don’t think he’s contemplating on staying in SD - he’s asking about cities in OC

Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg06 View Post
I don’t think he’s contemplating on staying in SD - he’s asking about cities in OC
Correct. Worse case, I think I could stay at my friend's in Bellflower for a week or two while I find a spot.

I've done the SD to Carson commute before for my current job. Left at 815 and got there at 1015. I was expecting it to take longer. I mean, it's definitely doable if I had to but I rather punch myself in the balls over having a four hour commute each day.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Right now, I'm in Northern San Diego and love it.

However, I'm possibly getting a job in Carson. My sister is possibly going to start going to school in Irvine.

Cost wise, seems like it's a bit more than San Diego. I've been lucky where I'm at, rent hasn't gone up since I moved in but I did a side by side, seems like OC is about $150 more right now.

I'm looking for a 2 bed / 2 bath for $2200. I see some within that range so I think I can manage. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley so I'm familiar with Orange County but I don't know much about 405 freeway except how horrible it always tends to be.

Map and miles wise, I'm thinking Huntington Beach is the best middle spot for our commutes.
I worked in at Jacobs in North Long Beach (practically Carson) and lived in Huntington Beach for a year. My commute was about 25 minutes in the morning and usually 35-40 minutes in the afternoon. When we lived there, we paid ~$1900 for 2 bed/1 bath apartment (Pacific Shores). I considered the complex below average. The city was an alright place to live and the schools were decent. Other than the ocean, it felt like a decent, yet generic suburb.

I don't imagine $2200 gets you much better of a place and rents are rising quickly.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 PM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg06 View Post
Yes, I understood that - hence my first paragraph before you replied in an attempt to re-focus a thread that had yet to require refocusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County