Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,114 times

Advertisements

I'm still interviewing with this company, but I know they're going to make an offer. But when they asked me what my salary expectations were, I stalled. I said that I was still researching what number would make my current lifestyle possible in LA. That's where you come in.

Some data:

Current income: $70K
Current house: 1800 sq ft on .2 acre, in the suburbs
Mortgage: $180K
Home value: $225K (that would make it the cheapest 4 bedroom house in my town)
Debt: 0
Family: Wife, 17yo daughter, 3yo son and 1yo daughter.

Where should I look for homes if I work in Costa Mesa and want a comparable house to what I have now, with a reasonable commute?

How much should I say my salary needs to be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
$180k mortgage is 2.57x your annual income. Count on spending a minimum of $500k on a decent suburban house (probably smaller than you have now, and on a slightly smaller lot) in this area. Figure you can get maybe $30k out of your current house after commissions, so deduct that from the $500k *minimum* house price, leaving a mortgage of $470k. Divide that by 2.57 and you get an annual income of $182k.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdr View Post

Current income: $70K
Current house: 1800 sq ft on .2 acre, in the suburbs
Mortgage: $180K
Home value: $225K (that would make it the cheapest 4 bedroom house in my town)
Debt: 0
Family: Wife, 17yo daughter, 3yo son and 1yo daughter.

Where should I look for homes if I work in Costa Mesa and want a comparable house to what I have now, with a reasonable commute?

How much should I say my salary needs to be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Fun question.

I know they are really rough estimates but did you try the salary tools like Salary.com Job salaries- Performance reviews- Compensation software Also, I think City Data or Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed and probably several other financial websites (Online Investing: Stocks, Personal Finance & Mutual Funds at SmartMoney.com, Fool.com: Stock Market Advice | Stock Investing Advice) may have simple calculators.

A couple of things are playing here. Often you will get a raise, maybe a big one just by moving from one company to another. It worked twice for me big time.

Not sure I can help you with the salary though. Aerospace engineers only make 6.8% in LA than they do in CO, TX, and AL, but that is only one datapoint. What line of work are you in?

Do you want basically the same home as you have now, in a very good (> 8/10) school district? Then it looks like $300/sqft minimum. You can check yourself the recent sales from the main City Data website.

To find those good schools try this:

California School Performance Maps

So, 1800 sqft * $300/sqft = $480K. Rule of thumb is house no more than three times your income, so you need a salary of $160K, and a gigantic down payment. I wouldn't push it either with three kids (I have four kids).

Think the man is going to offer you that?

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
does your wife work? if she doesn't currently, would she consider getting a job after the move?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
...would she consider getting a job after the move?
So she can net $0.60/hr after paying for daycare for 17month, 1yr, and 3yr old kids.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,114 times
Great feedback!

Ok, to the questions:

I'm a Tech Writer IV (Sr. tech writer; 10 yrs experience), documenting software and hardware. The median salary for that position in LA is about 86K. The 75th percentile earns 95K I believe. (Got those from salary.com and dice.com.)

I think I need the same amount of living space in a house. We're a little crowded as it is. I can't imagine having just 3 bedrooms or less than 1800 sq ft. However I certainly don't need a .2 acre lot. It's a bit much anyway, especially now with the little ones to look after. But I do want some outdoor space for the kids to play in.

I would like to get the kids in a decent school.

My wife does work two days a week as a dental assistant. She earns about as much as a dental assistant can here in Utah; she has over 10 yrs exp. I am trying to figure out how to live without her working, at least until the kids are in school.

Basically it looks pretty bleak. I mean even if they pay me 100K, that's only 300K of house (according to the 3x income rule), and I've seen some of what that buys in OC. This gig probably won't work out.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine having just 3 bedrooms or less than 1800 sq ft. However I certainly don't need a .2 acre lot. ...

This gig probably won't work out.
0.2 acres is only a 8700 square foot lot, not that big anyway.

I agree with your gig assessment.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
costa mesa country club area would be nice and close. you can also check areas of irvine, huntington beach, fountain valley, newport beach, and tustin to stay relatively closeby and in areas where decent to great schools exist. i would also suggest the wife get a job. me and my wife make around 75k total and its not enough to afford everything that goes with a house in the area and have amenities in out lives.. you'll be making a bit more, but not that much more. perhaps if you generate enough profit from your old house you would be comfortable, but i dunno

Old 06-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
me and my wife make around 75k total and its not enough to afford everything that goes with a house in the area
With a $75K income you either put a lot down recently or bought a long time ago or didn't buy an 1800 sqft home, right?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Quote:
This gig probably won't work out.
well, you could always rent. Prices ARE coming down here. The rest of us are all not rolling in money that we can pay half a million dollars for a decent place to live and raise a family. It is a ridiculous situation that is temporary, it has never been like this in the past 50 years before the bubble, so why would you imagine it is permanent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County