Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, OC does have a very large Vietnamese community, and they tend to trend Republican, largely because of their hawkish anti-Communism rhetoric, often to an extreme degree that detracts from civic discourse (such as the shopowner who put a Ho Chi Minh picture in his window and getting death threats). In San Jose, near where I live, there was a big row over the naming of a business district - whether to call it Little Saigon. The young Vietnamese American city council member who tried to come to a compromise and call it the Saigon Business District got a lot of grief for it from hardliners who wanted it to be called Little Saigon and was the subject of a heated recall campaign that she barely beat back..
Funny how many Pho restaurants there are now, featuring a dish that originated in the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM

92 posts, read 267,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, OC does have a very large Vietnamese community...
A very large Vietnamese community is an understatement, the fact is OC has the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
A very large Vietnamese community is an understatement, the fact is OC has the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam.
interesting, I did not know that.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
interesting, I did not know that.
Same thing with Little Phnom Penh(Cambodia Town) in Long Beach

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM

286 posts, read 678,011 times
Default Right on target,but when do we stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom lennox 70 View Post
i guess you could also point out that the democrats have lost a lot of blue collar voters with their social liberalism and high taxes. Why did obama do so poorly in traditionally democratic areas like ohio, michigan, and pennsylvania? He won these states but a lot of blue collar americans did not vote for him and rather voted republican this time. There is a difference between a blue collar person who is not rich but earned everything they had, vs. A ghetto person on welfare or an illegal immigrant who doesn't work or works in the shadows and benefits much from welfare and other social programs. Here in baltimore, the only groups who still support obama are ghetto acorn types (who voted for him and still vote for him for racial reasons) of we have very large numbers of, liberal yuppies elites, northern transplants from ny area, and the thankfully few illegal aliens we have. The average blue collar or middle class person here hates obama. Unfortunately its different in dc and ny where middle class voters are more liberal.

I'm not from california and don't know why its become so liberal since the 1950s and the 80s and richard nixon and ronald reagan. Now in southern states like virginia and north carolina, and even here in maryland the liberal shift is attributed to people from more liberal areas who move in and impose their values and culture on us. The only possible explanation i can think of in california is illegal immigrants and la raza/aztlan types, people like antonio villaraigosa for example, a racist traitor who still believes california rightfully belong to mexico...or that principal who sents kids home for wearing american flags on the cinco de mayo. Of course hollywood is liberal but thats such a small number of celebrities who are never really taken seriously anyway.

Is the electoral system in california gerrymandered to give more voting power to the coastal cities vs. Inland areas like the central valley and the mojave region? They do it here in maryland, to dilute the votes of conservative rural and suburban/exurban areas with urban districts with large numbers of liberal voters. I wouldn't be surprised if people in barstow and needles pay for a lot of los angeles or san francisco's public transit and freeway upgrades....just my gut feeling hearing stories about everywhere else in america.
your gut feeling is felt by 200 million people,but most of us have zero courage.i want us to take it back,yesterday.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 36,349 times
It became so Liberal/Dem as a result of the insane wave of immigration from Mexico. They didn't have the right to vote right away but more and more now have kids who reached voter age beginning in late 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County