Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 PM

81 posts, read 332,024 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to SoCal from Massachusetts. Picked OC because of the better air and better schools. We are Russian-speaking immigrants from Armenia.
Where in OC would an immigrant with our background fit best?

Our primary concern is to find a great High School for our daughter with emphasis on academics. Also we would like to live in a neighborhood where a lot of people are well-educated and of progressive views.

We were thinking Irvine, or Mission Viejo... Any thoughts?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
while i wouldn't really consider anywhere in OC to be progressive in the political sense, there is a decent sized russian population in the irvine area.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Progressive is your key word. Most liberal cities are the poorer cities filled to the brim with latino immigrants.

Laguna Beach and Capistrano Beach may be the only two progressive AND professional cities in OC. All the other professional/educated areas are dominated by Conservatives.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
We will be moving to SoCal

We were thinking Irvine, or Mission Viejo... Any thoughts?
Where will you be working?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
OC is very conservative especially in contrast to the rest of California. My wife and I call it "Arizona's Beach". It is a little Red spec in a sea of Blue.

Coming from the NorthEast, OC is going to be a shock especially for what you are looking for. I think the OP would be better off in LA County or the Bay Area.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-02-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
Laguna Beach is your best bet, but if you're working somewhere up near LA County or Yorba Linda, I'd say look elsewhere.

Like others already said, Orange County is a goofy little sea of red in an otherwise blue region (even San Diego County is more democratic and they've got arguably the largest military presence of anywhere else in the nation).

Liberals/progressives here tend to speak in hushed tones out of fear of being found out by their conservative brethren. Its the damndest thing, really

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Laguna Beach is your best bet, but if you're working somewhere up near LA County or Yorba Linda, I'd say look elsewhere.

Like others already said, Orange County is a goofy little sea of red in an otherwise blue region (even San Diego County is more democratic and they've got arguably the largest military presence of anywhere else in the nation).

Liberals/progressives here tend to speak in hushed tones out of fear of being found out by their conservative brethren. Its the damndest thing, really
It just goes to show Wealth+Religion trumps Military when it comes to conservative republicans.

Also, it says something when a region full of military personal vote democratic.

Anyways I am not looking for another "Why is OC still republican" thread, but perhaps the Original poster should review it and get back to us on whether they think OC sounds progressive.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 PM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
We are in Irvine and have found no shortage of liberal/progressive friends. There are people from all walks of life here. You're not going to find a Cambridge, MA type atmosphere out here. But, you can find people that are open minded and accepting. Most of the conservatives we have met are more the wealth and church types. Don't mess with their taxes or jesus and you will be OK.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
I agree w/ slang75 that Irvine is not short on intellectuals & progressive thinkers. In-fact, Irvine has elected even Greens in local elections. Laguna Beach would be a wonderful choice for sheer beauty & interesting people. Schools are good in both areas.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM

125 posts, read 440,653 times
I would check out some places in the Bay Area, if progressive is on the top of your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County