Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 9,644 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to the Newport/Huntington Beach area. Does anyone know how traffic is from these areas to Irvine on I-55? Also, what's the better place to live? Since I'm single, I'm looking for things to do. What are the people like here? I would not fit in with snobby or pretentious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:12 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debutah View Post
I plan on moving to the Newport/Huntington Beach area. Does anyone know how traffic is from these areas to Irvine on I-55? Also, what's the better place to live? Since I'm single, I'm looking for things to do. What are the people like here? I would not fit in with snobby or pretentious people.
Depending on where you may live in Newport, you may not even take the 55. You can take Jamboree (major highway that goes through Irvine, and ends in Newport at PCH). If you live in HB, you would be taking the 405 S to an exit somewhere past MacArthur to get to most places in Irvine. You probably won't take the 55 at all (unless you live at the edge of HB, kinda near the 55....but even then, its a little bit of a drive to get to it). I used to live in HB, and the worst part of living there was getting to a freeway, be it the 405 or 55. Since its coastal, you have to take a lot of side streets to get to the freeway. I really depends on the time in which you will be commuting back and forth.

What is there to do? Where to start.....HB and Newport both have different vibes, but don't pre-judge and automitically think everyone is pretentious. It really depens on what your "Scene" is and what you are into. There's lots to do around here....take your pic!

The most popular thing in HB is "Main Street". But its mostly college age (undergrad college age), and A LOT of "909-ers" (people who live inland) come in on the weekends to "party in the OC". HB is kinda turning into the 909 of OC, IMO. But anyways, Main St. is a street off of PCH in HB with lots of bars, food and some shops.

In Newport, you should check out Balboa Peninsula...there is a little "Fun Zone" area....probably the least pretentious thing you can do in Newport that is very Newport. If that makes sense! (There is also a small theater on Lido Isle, too, thats kinda fun to crash). At the Fun Zone, there is a small ferris wheel, bumper cars, pizza, little shops, a ferry to Balboa island....kind of a fun place (can be touristy....but, for the first year or so- you will probably feel like a tourist since everything will be new to you...so check it out regardless!). Riding bikes on PCH in Newport is really fun. Those are all very unpretentious activities, and, with the right company- can be quite magical. If you will be here for C-mas, HB and Newport both fo harbor light tours (you take an hour boat ride and see all the houses on the water with the cmas lights). Look in local sources for new restaruants and happenings....OC Metro (usually pick it up free around the area) always has a list of restaurants, places, etc.

I would say, meet the people first- then the "things to do" will fall in place. If you are sporty- find some people to play your sport with. If you want to take something up- like surfing, take some lessons and ask your coach for some connections to people who want surf buddies, if you like food- join a dinner group, you get the idea. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:50 AM

315 posts, read 871,657 times
Cant really help ya- but,,,,,,
I made pretty much this same move many years ago- - Nice to see-the dream never dies

Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
From a straight commute perspective, you are much better off going to Irvine from NB then HB. HB to Irvine is a 45 minute, often bumper to bumper death march on the 405. NB to irvine has multiple options, most of which are on surface streets. I live in Irvine and doubt it would ever take me more then 20-30 minutes to get to anywhere in NB, so its probably the same coming the other direction.

As for options of things to do, as long as you are in the area, you can get to all kinds of activities and places. In general, if you are over 30 & a professional I would reccomend NB over HB. You will have to deal with all the posing & pretenousness,yada, yada you hear about in NB and it is expensive, but if you can swing it, it does have it rewards.

If it is your budget, there are several newer high rise apts on Jamboree (not sure if it is technically Irvine or NB), south/west of the 405 that are pretty centrally located to everything. Downside is you'll have to drive everywhere you want to go from these places (like most of the rest of So Cal) because there is not much immediately around it, but would'nt be a bad spot to be if you want to get out & about and be close to NB, Irvine & the freeway.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,644 times
Thanks for the information! I am leaning more towards the Newport Peninsula, I found some apts. that are actually cheaper then Huntington, plus the drive would be much better. I'm really hoping it's easy to make friends since I'm in my upper 30's, but if I already have a job, I think it's worth a shot!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debutah View Post
Thanks for the information! I am leaning more towards the Newport Peninsula, I found some apts. that are actually cheaper then Huntington, plus the drive would be much better. I'm really hoping it's easy to make friends since I'm in my upper 30's, but if I already have a job, I think it's worth a shot!
Watch the pennisula. There are a lot of "party houses" and also weekly tourist rentals and it can get pretty loud & rowdy. Plus parking is a PITA 6-7 months a year and you'll have to deal w/ the tourist traffic in the summer. Lastly getting on or off the pennisula can be a hassle just about everyday. Frankly for someone in their late 30's it's not a place I usually reccomend.

If you can swing it, try for something up along Jamboree around Fashion Island area, or on Balboa Island. You'll have the same traffic & parking issues on Balboa, but less noise & partying around you.

Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
In Balboa villiage (area around the Balboa Pier). You solve the parking problem by renting a house with a garage and/or driveway or by buying a yearly or monthly pass to one of the avilable parking areas. Attempting to park on the streets is crazy.

A good place to meet locals is the Balboa Saloon, a place with little appeal for tourists.
There are also several small churches where you can meet locals, albiet mostly older residents, but still a good way to get to know your neighbors and to get known.
However Balboa is a really fun and usually pleasant place to live all year. It is best int eh off season when it is very much like a small town. However even the "on" season can be nice as well, just do nto expect a lot of guests becuase it is so hard to get there and park. Personally i found Balboa Island to be a bti boring and in many cases snobby. It is a place for older people with a lot of money. Newport pier gets more outsider activity and is a bit crazier, however it is nto as concentrated so the hoople gets spread out a bit more. It does nto seem to have the small town atmosphere during the off season.

If you are going to go up around Jamboree, why not just go to Irvine and save some money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County