Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,367,283 times

Advertisements

Compared to other parts of Southern California, only marginally so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This is why the world's gone to pot. No one wants to hear about God. They've taken prayer out of schools, etc. Now, I'm being ganged up against & everyone seemed to have forgotten about Mr. F's unfair comments. This is beautiful guys!
What do imaginary beings have to do with Orange County culture?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,119 times
You can never know what county is racist. Racism is in the mind, and you can't really know what's in everyones mind. What we see is usually media amplification. But it could be only a few people with that state of mind, or prejudice businesses that make the news. But, that never means the majority of any area feels that way. And, conversely a whole area might be complete bigots, but if it doesn't make the news, you would never know.

I want to add what someone was saying about reverse racism. I'm white, but I grew up in slums, and I've had many friends of color, and I really believe color is not an issue with me. But, what I see today isn't whitey prejudice, it's minority prejudice against whites. When I see cops beating the crap out of someone, I don't see color first. I see abuse, and maybe it's racist, but maybe it's not. But, to ASSUME that it is racist is racist itself.

I voted for the President. I didn't vote for the black President. The only ones I hear constantly refer to Obama as black, are minorities. That is racism, and they don't even know it. To be equal, you have to think equal, and that means no matter what the injustice is, fight the injustice, not the color of the person committing it.

"No problem can be solved on the same level of consciousness that created it." Albert Einstein

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenor_sax View Post

I voted for the President. I didn't vote for the black President. The only ones I hear constantly refer to Obama as black, are minorities.
One of the reasons Obama got elected is blacks voted for a white president.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,951,165 times
Regarding the question asked in the OP; I grew up in south OC in the early 1990's, and I do remember things like being harassed by other kids in the neighborhood, and swastikas being carved into the drying sidewalk concrete. But as the years soon passed, more minorities were moving into the neighborhood, and displacing all the white trash who I'm speculating relocated to the 909 (they just seemed like the 909 type).

That said, I'd maintain that OC is far from the most racist county in CA. At least in terms of deliberately hurtful racism. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, what OC has is a lesser degree of white guilt than LA and SF. And I'm not white, but I don't see that as a bad thing at all. To me, it doesn't make any sense to judge today's generation of white people based on the situation that people of color are in. I prefer to judge people based on their attitudes. You might hear people make blanket statements about another race here, but it's all stuff that you'd hear from stand-up comedians making fun of their own race. If you ask me, we won't be able to make progress dealing with issues among races if we're too sensitive and PC about it. It really does appear to me that the OP made the highly ignorant mistaken assumption that conservative = racist, and that attitude won't help us move forward, either.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I prefer to judge people based on their attitudes.
As well as their area codes, apparently.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,979,233 times
Quote:
and displacing all the white trash who I'm speculating relocated to the 909 (they just seemed like the 909 type).
Is your stupid assumption based upon the current 909 or before the 909/951 change from a few years ago?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
As well as their area codes, apparently.
that was just meant as a light jab; these things don't come across well over the internet, apparently. I tease my friends about living in the 909 all the time, including a cousin who lives in Diamond Bar, and another who's buying a house in Menifee.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times
Ok. Having spent 44 years in the 714/949, now that I'm in the 909 for the past 6 years I've noticed the tendency of my former area code mates to curl their lip when they mention 909. That's after they pick themselves up off the floor after learning that I gave up the beach life for Fontana.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ok. Having spent 44 years in the 714/949, now that I'm in the 909 for the past 6 years I've noticed the tendency of my former area code mates to curl their lip when they mention 909. That's after they pick themselves up off the floor after learning that I gave up the beach life for Fontana.
alot of people did that for the lower home prices. I hope the bubble burst didn't burn you too badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County