Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Me and my friend were talking one night and we talked about how **** it is where we live, and then got onto where we would like to move to the most.

So we decided on Orange County, my friend moved over there with his family a few years ago and loves it...

I'm 18 studying a Diploma in Graphic design and hes 19 studying a BA in Creative Writing, by the time we have finished our courses we will be 20/21.
We both already have a good portfolio of work ect, and also run our own events organising company, so we have good CVs etc.

So, what im wondering is, is it possible? a good idea? would we get by?
Were just on about going over and getting a bar job to get us by until we gt on our feet?

Thanks.
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkas View Post
Me and my friend were talking one night and we talked about how **** it is where we live, and then got onto where we would like to move to the most.

So we decided on Orange County, my friend moved over there with his family a few years ago and loves it...

I'm 18 studying a Diploma in Graphic design and hes 19 studying a BA in Creative Writing, by the time we have finished our courses we will be 20/21.
We both already have a good portfolio of work ect, and also run our own events organising company, so we have good CVs etc.

Were just on about going over and getting a bar job to get us by until we gt on our feet?

Thanks.
Tom
Tom, your posting is entertaining if nothing else. You are talking 3 or 4 years from now, so much in your life will change by then or may change. I think right now, you should consentrate on school, develop writing skills so a resume will be more impressive and worry about where to live in a couple more years. I remember what I thought I wanted to do with my life when I was 18. Now, I look back and just laugh.

If you still think OC is a good place by all means persue the job market, but right now just keep the dream. Oh, you mentioned getting a job in a bar, in California you do have to be 21 to serve liquor so that might not work for you, not to mention, most of the wait staff jobs go to hispanics or college kids.

Nita

Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Gosh I was just about to write that I agreed with nita. Then that last statement in the last sentence starting with "not to mention.." chapped me.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 PM

239 posts, read 711,405 times
I agreed with Nita until the last sentence as well. I am a white woman and I worked as wait staff in restaurants until I was 27.

Otherwise, Newport is a really fun place and you will like it if you like to go out and such. Just live down near the beach. Or in Huntington, that would be fun for you as well. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Actually all you have to do is go into most restaurants, anywhere to see the age of the wait staff. That is how our granddaughter made her extra money until she graduated from college as well as our one grandson in law. We had a daughter who did the same. She continued to work as a coctail waitress, part time, after she got out of school (made more money than she could using her education) but eventually she decided age was catching up with her so she got a 9 to 5 type job.

The more upscale restaurants are exceptions, though they do employ a fairly large number of Hispanics, but these establishments only hire very experienced wait people. I was generalizing, I know there are some places that hire younger people who are not in college or Hispanic. I think I was more trying to get a point across to this young man.

It is interesting, we are debating who the restaurants will and will not hire and the OP never even came back..

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Tom... you spelled organising with an s and you used CV instead of resume. Of what country are you a citizen?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I'm 16, and ready to quit school and run away from my boring parents ... I mean ... O... M... G ... they got sooooooo POed about the tatoo and the way I text during breakfast, school, dinner, church ... I was talking with my friends and we found out we all hated our parents. Where I live is full of red necks and the weather sucks. Can I move to OC and find a place for 300 a month? /sarc

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'm 16, and ready to quit school and run away from my boring parents ... I mean ... O... M... G ... they got sooooooo POed about the tatoo and the way I text during breakfast, school, dinner, church ... I was talking with my friends and we found out we all hated our parents. Where I live is full of red necks and the weather sucks. Can I move to OC and find a place for 300 a month? /sarc
too funny, reminds me of an email I got today that really made me laugh.

Nita

Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkas View Post

Thanks.
Tom
Don't even get me started on this topic!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:13 PM

19 posts, read 93,362 times
Bayareahillbilly,
$300 a month in Orange County will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks. Riverside county is much more affordable but finding anything for under $900 (even in santa ana) for even a one bedroom in the OC is almost impossible. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County