Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,124 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Orange County for almost 3 years now. It's gone by so fast! I moved out here from New Jersey in early 2007. Moved to Irvine for a year and a half- didn't like it too much (cookie cutter, boring) then moved to Laguna Hills- beautiful, clean, down to earth- but still a little boring, and now considering trying out the area by South Coast Plaza.

What's everyone's take on that area? Right by the hotels, Friday's, and restaurants over there. There's some new apartment complexes there and it seems to be a 'happening' scene for the mid 20's to early 30's single crowd. What do you think? Is it a good spot to be for fun and location wise to the action?

I know it's not going to be the city life lol, but I'm trying to find an area with more action and a place where I can walk outside and go to restaurants or try new lounges, shopping, etc. without having to drive 15 minutes all over- while it's certainly not far to get anywhere in OC, it is MUCH more convenient if everything is right out your doorstep. The only bummer I can see is the beach is far from there and traffic might be a pain by the 405/55 area...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,107 times
depending on where you work you might try belmont shore.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
The area around South Coast Plaza isn't all that walkable unless you 1) Like walking long distances or 2) Like going to the same few places over and over and over. Car traffic is very heavy and with all the stop lights it can take 15 minutes to go a surprisingly short distance.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

true, but it seems like within a half mile there's quite an array of lounges, bars, and restaurants- i.e., Mastro's, Friday's, Savannah, Maggiano's, Scott's Seafood, South Coast Plaza, Mesa, Shark Club, Garf's, The Camp... also, isn't downtown Santa Ana minutes away? I know santa ana in general is 'ghetto' but I believe the downtown area is being revitalized. There's a ton of new lounges/restaurants there...

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
true, but it seems like within a half mile there's quite an array of lounges, bars, and restaurants- i.e., Mastro's, Friday's, Savannah, Maggiano's, Scott's Seafood, South Coast Plaza, Mesa, Shark Club, Garf's, The Camp... also, isn't downtown Santa Ana minutes away? I know santa ana in general is 'ghetto' but I believe the downtown area is being revitalized. There's a ton of new lounges/restaurants there...
Getting over the freeway on Bristol on foot looks scary as hell though. There's so many idiots zig zagging all over the place trying to either make or get past the multiple ramps and driveways that it's a wonder there aren't more accidents.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 PM

yea that could definately be a challenge! people drive like idiots over there.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
GO live in the artists villiage in downtown Santa Ana.

Fullerton has a bit of life to it in the "downtown" area.

The new condos right at the edge of ORange across from Mainplace mall have a lot of walking distance options. Mainplace across the street, Santiago Park accross the street. Old Town Orange a bike ride away, Bowers museum walking distance, discovery science center walking distance. The Block a short drive away. The condos are surrounded by a group of farily trendy type places. That may be a decent option for what you are looking for.

South Coast Metro has some fairly nice apartments in both Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. Walking is not real practical in that area though. Traffic is heavy and the place is really not set up for pedestrian traffic. You can do it, but it is not very pleasant.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I haven't lived there, and haven't spent much time there, but I have spent some time trying to walk around in the area you're talking about. I'd heard so much about the anti-mall and other things in the area, and had heard people talk about how that stretch of Bristol was supposed to be walkable. Well, maybe it is compared to other areas of OC, but I was really nervous about walking around. I did the trek over to South Coast Plaza and found it highly unpleasant. There are sidewalks and things, and even a few other people out walking, but the cars are not looking for people. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found it to be just another suburban strip.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Schools are terrible so don't think of starting a family there.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM

19 posts, read 93,313 times
dakicka,
I live in Laguna Hills and am loving it, most likely because I'm married with an infant like nearly everyone else in this city. It's definitely a great place to raise a family with all the parks, great schools, and families around. But, if I were single in my 20s/30s, I'd probably be ready to move too. I definitely see what you're saying about the South Coast Plaza area, but the only downside is that the area is just not that nice/safe. I have some friends that live in Newport Beach and LOVE it. Yes, it's expensive, but if you have a few roommates, it's definitely affordable. You pay a HUGE premium to live alone in a studio or one bedroom as opposed to sharing the cost of a 3 or 4 bedroom between 3 or 4 people. My buddy lived on the beach with two other guys and they paid about $1,400 each. Not cheap by any means, but they were literally on the sand.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: mod cut: soliciting removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County