Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,764 times

Advertisements

Hello all, hoping you can help - people in this forum seem to be in the know.

I'm a single, 30yr old male professional who is moving to Orange County for the next 3 to 6 months to work on assignment in Irvine. Trying to figure out a good place to live, I'd like to be relatively close to work but can do a bit of a commute (30-45 mins?) if it means having a better social life. I don't know anyone in the LA area, and I'm big into a place having a decent night life, friendly people to meet and a good scene to hang out.

Any suggestions are appreciated, by the looks of it so far either Newport or Huntington seem to be popular?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,871 times
Newport and Huntington are both great choices--in fact, both cities of 100,000 and 200,000 people respectively so nightlife is definitely available. If either of these cities is too expensive you may also want to look in Costa Mesa. I would not recommend looking any further north than Huntington Beach. Long Beach may more nightlife, but the commute would become unbearable and safety is sometimes an issue(depending on the block).

Irvine is a nice place to live, but for a single male seeking nightlife, I think, Newport/Huntington would provide more fun. As far as friendliness, people are pretty friendly in both cities--more so than Long Beach(IMHO). Traffic is a breeze most of the time in HB and Newport because the roads are wide and accomodating. --It's the freeways that are the bad part.

I don't recommend looking anywhere south of Irvine. This means Mission Viejo, LF, RSM.. etc.. It's a nice area, but it's mostly families. --It's for sure NOT singles territory. Best of luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM

160 posts, read 975,588 times
Suggest you look at Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach. Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM

253 posts, read 376,160 times
Depends on what your scene is, and if you're 30 it could go either way:

Huntington is very much a college type scene. Early 20s, most everyone in t-shirts and shorts, etc. I'm 34 and my girlfriend is 31 and we're over that scene so I'm guessing you might be too. Definitely not a place for young professionals.

Newport, where we now live, is much more of a "professionals" type scene. You still get a bit of the young college-type thing down on the peninsula, but for the most part you'll find young professionals at places like 333, the Cannery, etc. And many older people too.

As for Irvine, that seems to be the place to be for happy hour type nightlife, which is what we like. My office is on Jamboree just north of MacArthur and there are a ton of great happy hour spots, like Houstons, McCormick & Schmicks, etc., in other words all of the upscale chain restaurants plus many independent ones that offer great happy hour scenes full of young professionals (and for me when I was single that was the best place to meet women who had brains and were not bimbos).

So I'd say Newport or Irvine, they border on one another and everything is accessible (my office is 6 miles from my home in Newport Coast) so you can't go wrong with either.

I'd strongly agree to stay away from anything south of Irvine. It's super-boring suburbia down there.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,252 times
What if you're 35 and don't ever plan on having kids and are over the party scene from college? (but you don't like the 'yuppie' scene despite your income being in that bracket LOL).

Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

253 posts, read 376,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
What if you're 35 and don't ever plan on having kids and are over the party scene from college? (but you don't like the 'yuppie' scene despite your income being in that bracket LOL).
Laguna Beach!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,252 times
Nevercoldcall,

Ahhh, Laguna Beach...

Hee hee! We've been there many times and love it...Laguna Beach is very cool...artsy, laidback, non-pretentious, people would be open to my spiritual work and such, and lots of cool surf shops, but the waves/breaks are a bit fast there for me LOL. Need to get used to the idea of it and well, the rocks...But, of course, San Onofre is super close and it has a much gentler surf. But, I still don't consider myself a 'real' surfer...I've leave it to hubby

I've priced condos in Laguna and well, it is a bit pricey there for us. We could afford Laguna Niguel possibly though. But, we've talked about renting first before we buy as an option...It's worth it to be by the ocean for us, even though we're not far from paying off our mortgage here LOL...It will literally be like starting over, but I'm not worried

We also liked Huntington Beach too. I've been there on a Friday night and it was pretty fun, but we're not into bars, unless there's live rockabilly music--LOL. I thought Hermosa Beach was cool at night, but that's too far

I live in the 'D' right now as in Detroit so it will be nice to get out of Midwestern Suburban Hell

Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,888 times
I'm 25, and I lived in Costa Mesa for 5 years. There is a lot of stuff to do. I would tend to think it's a little cheaper than both Newport and Huntington, and it's right in the middle of the two. It's a nice place.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,764 times
Thanks all for the great feedback. Heading to Orange County next week to check things out and find a place hopefully, and I'll definitely branch out to Laguna, Costa Mesa as well as Newport and Huntington.

I definitely like the 'pseudo-hippy-with-a-bank-account' vibe, a little old for the college scene but not so into pretentious yuppy martini bars (we have a LOT in Toronto) so it sounds like the beach spots are where it's at for me.

Thanks again to all!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadatocali View Post
Hello all, hoping you can help - people in this forum seem to be in the know.

I'm a single, 30yr old male professional who is moving to Orange County for the next 3 to 6 months to work on assignment in Irvine. Trying to figure out a good place to live, I'd like to be relatively close to work but can do a bit of a commute (30-45 mins?) if it means having a better social life. I don't know anyone in the LA area, and I'm big into a place having a decent night life, friendly people to meet and a good scene to hang out.

Any suggestions are appreciated, by the looks of it so far either Newport or Huntington seem to be popular?

thanks!
Hey, U are only going to be in Irvine for just a short time. I think U should stay/live in Irvine and close to work and commute to the outlying area for the fun. Even Irvine have its charm and lots of things to do. But, if U like water sports, then there are plenty of rentals along the coast in NPB and HB. And there are lots of singles your age and younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County