Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:45 AM

31 posts, read 141,215 times

Advertisements

Well, after a few weeks trying to find an apartment in Irvine/Tustin, I located a few and started a process and it now seems totally imossible. The conditions are 2.7 times the rent, so over $53000 in the case of the one bed apartment I was looking at, but in my case, I can't even do that as I am going back to do my Masters, so they want 5.7 times the apartment rental of liquid funds, which is over $100,000.

So, back to the drawing board, but it seems impossible. I offered to pay rent 6 months in advance, they say it is not allowed, so I think I will have to look at private landlords, but don't see any. Even looking at the craigs list it seems that agents advertise more than private people.

Any suggestion please? I do need to be in safe area this is the priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemom View Post
Well, after a few weeks trying to find an apartment in Irvine/Tustin, I located a few and started a process and it now seems totally imossible. The conditions are 2.7 times the rent, so over $53000 in the case of the one bed apartment I was looking at, but in my case, I can't even do that as I am going back to do my Masters, so they want 5.7 times the apartment rental of liquid funds, which is over $100,000.

So, back to the drawing board, but it seems impossible. I offered to pay rent 6 months in advance, they say it is not allowed, so I think I will have to look at private landlords, but don't see any. Even looking at the craigs list it seems that agents advertise more than private people.

Any suggestion please? I do need to be in safe area this is the priority.
I would keep looking - those conditions sound extreme. As a property manager, I never heard of "liquid funds" to qualify a resident (I refrain from using the term "tenant" as much as possible.

Good luck on your search and your Masters

Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks Paula, this seems to be the policy of Irvine Company that seems to manage most of the apartment complexes there.
I am trying to find out some other gated management complex companies.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemom View Post
Thanks Paula, this seems to be the policy of Irvine Company that seems to manage most of the apartment complexes there.
I am trying to find out some other gated management complex companies.
I just wanted to add that depending on the area you're moving, most of OC you don't really need a gate. I grew up in Irvine, and there you definitely don't need gated, but they are all pretty much Irvine Company run, except for Woodbridge Meadows apartments, which were Reef Management when I lived there. They're on East Yale Loop and Barranca in Irvine.

Aliso Viejo is nice and safe, and you wouldn't need a gate, and I don't think many of the places are Irvine Company. If you have any questions on specific properties or areas, let me know, I've lived in Irvine (most of my young adult life), Laguna Hills, Aliso Viejo, and Laguna Beach. I'm pretty much familiar with all of OC.

V. =)

Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Maybe I've just been lucky. I've only rented two apartments. One was a corporate owned complex, not IAC, and all they needed was a credit check. The other one was privately owned and they too needed just a credit check. I can understand a complex not wanting to rent to people who can't afford the rent, but what you found is ridiculous. Houses are so unaffordable that people are forced into apartments so let's just make sure no one can afford those either.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Just a thought, do you have anyone with the required income/credit willing to go on your lease as a co-tenant or co-signer?

I only mention this because you said you were going back to school to get your Masters. It is not unusual for students to have a parent or relative co-sign because they don't meet the income requirements to qualify.

Have you checked with your University's Housing Office? I had several excellent referrals from campus housing offices when I was doing property management. Owners listing units on campus should be more familiar with the needs of students.

The owner not being able to accept your 6 months of prepaid rent is just another example of a law created to ostensibly protect renters with the opposite result in your case.

Don't give up, there are thousands of rentals out there... half the posters on City-Data believe the California Real Estate Market is grossly overpriced and a correction is imminent.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,124 times
the amounts you quotes are quite high. to get a NICE 1 bedroom about 700-800 sq feet in irvine you are looking between 1400 and 1700/month. Income requirements on that would be about 50K/yr gross annual income, that would apply to the irvine company. these are approximates based on research i did but i would say they are within a 100.00 for the rent either way and within 1,000 G.A.I. either way.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 AM

Thank you all. I am waiting for some solutions from 2 of the apartment companies. Just for those who may find themselves in the same situaion, I contacted many places over this weekend and I got very excited about one gated community in Newport beach, looks nice etc...But when they told me that they don't require any proof of income, nor the credic check I was concerned and checked apartment ratings and was in shock to find that they had drug dealers on the complex, two sex offenders actually livig on the complex and many breakins. I didn't expect this from a gated community and so just wanted to warn those who are in the same boat.

Yes my main problem is that I am returning to study (so not a youngster) after having completed PhD and working for 17 years but want to change direction. In addition, I have been in the US for less than 2 years, I am European. So normal 2.7 the monthly rent for those large companies like Irvine company, doesn't apply. They wanted me to transfer $100000 to US account. I offered to pay year in advance but they couldn't do this.

Yesterday I looked at Ladera ranch and the company that operates there may be able to do it if my bank in the US shows how much deposits in total I placed in the last 2 years.

Is Ladera ranch safe community? Again, my concern is that I have a small child and so have to be more careful.

By the way, it is logical that if a company doesn't want anything in a way of proof of income or they don't do a credit check they will get all sort of people.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:59 PM

62 posts, read 291,589 times
Default Irvine CA: The KKK Lives on !

Irvine CA has a city government that is notorious for being extremely anal about everything. Like most other "police states" -which it it seems to be modeled upon- it has very little crime and that in turn frees its police force to engage in 'selective enforcement'.

Selective enforcement means they have the time & the will to issue citations for the pettiest and most banal types of bull****. For example, typical city laws include a ban on working on your car while parked on the street, lawn-watering restrictions and noise abatement laws. They actually have laws that require you to have a 'bicycle license (i.e. your bicycle must be registered with the city) and yet they only ticket Mexicans for not having them. I know because I work in court and the citations & cases that come from Irvine are
a study in government-sanctioned racism.

They're extremely anti-immigrant and most of the population consists of blond, blue-eyed anglo dunces of the type depicted in "The OC". In fact the last time I remember seeing so many blond racist crackers all in one place was in a History Channel documentary depicting a Hitler Jugend rally.

If you'd like to experience what life was like in Alabama during the 60's or would like a crack at becoming Imperial Wizard some day ..then Irvine is for you.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Monella View Post
They're extremely anti-immigrant and most of the population consists of blond, blue-eyed anglo dunces of the type depicted in "The OC". In fact the last time I remember seeing so many blond racist crackers all in one place was in a History Channel documentary depicting a Hitler Jugend rally.

If you'd like to experience what life was like in Alabama during the 60's or would like a crack at becoming Imperial Wizard some day ..then Irvine is for you.
You're on crack. Irvine is about 50/50 white and Chinese now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County