Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 12,265 times

Advertisements

I am a semi-retired pediatrician in New Mexico. My wife and I would like to fully retire along the Oregon coast. I have read many of the descriptions on what it is like to live in Lincoln City or Newport. We were told that the average age in Lincoln City was 36, yet some of the post describe these towns as saturated with seniors on fixed incomes. Due to my wife's health, we need a cool climate which Oregon coast appears to offer. I can not imagine any place been boring at my age. Does Lincoln City (or Newport) have hiking trails or bicycle trails? Are there sports shops (not the Walmart-size of sporting goods)? What is the nearest military base? Approximately 5 years ago we drove north of Lincoln City and we fell in love with the Oregon coast and the people. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Hiking and bicycle trails, yes; sports shops, yes; nearest military base is probably Fort Lewis, near Tacoma, WA, about five or six hours from Lincoln City.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
There are bike trails in Lincoln City? That is news to me.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Retirement amenities in Lincoln city.

Thank you both. I also would like to know if the area has both Satellite and cable television reception? Is high speed internet access via cable or telephone line? Our plan was to visit the Oregon Coast late next year but since Cannon Beach is having their Sandcastle contest in June, it will mostl likely be June. Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Yes, yes, and yes. High speed internet can be had through cable or telephone; your choice.

What type of sports shops are you looking for? Lincoln City has a handful of surf shops, a couple of golf shops, and (maybe) a bike shop, but if you're looking for fishing gear, you'll probably need to drive to Newport or make do with Lincoln City's Bi-Mart. Bi-Mart is the local source for hunting gear too. There might be something at the Outlet mall in the center of town, but stores come and go there so I don't have up to date info on that.

I feel that I should to tell you now that LC is not a bike friendly town. At all. If you and your wife are avid bikers, you won't be impressed. Hwy 101 has no bike lane, it's congested and the street parking is hazardous to a biker's health. Side streets often have no shoulders, no sidewalks, and poor lighting.

Just thought you might want to know.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Default Possible retirement in lincoln City

Actually, Boodhabunny, I enjoy inline skating (and bicycling). What I would need is replacement wheels for my inline skates but if worst comes to worse, I can order them online. We are also looking at Salem which is close enough to Lincoln City but may offer greater access to our bicycling.
I notice that your location is Hawaii. It is ironic because we are heading there for vacation next week. I was stationed at the Marine Corps Kaneohe Bay station back in the 60's for 2 yrs. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Hiking and bicycle trails, yes; sports shops, yes; nearest military base is probably Fort Lewis, near Tacoma, WA, about five or six hours from Lincoln City.
Technically it would be Fort Rilea just south of Astoria. But it's Oregon National Guard not active military.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del2retire View Post
Actually, Boodhabunny, I enjoy inline skating (and bicycling). What I would need is replacement wheels for my inline skates but if worst comes to worse, I can order them online. We are also looking at Salem which is close enough to Lincoln City but may offer greater access to our bicycling.
I notice that your location is Hawaii. It is ironic because we are heading there for vacation next week. I was stationed at the Marine Corps Kaneohe Bay station back in the 60's for 2 yrs. Anyway, thanks for the info.
There are several Bike/Skate/Surf shops in Lincoln City and Newport. You just need to deal with the younger kids though.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Thank you, Hamellr. I hope to visit Lincoln City in approx. 2 weeks. D2R

Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 PM

There is a retirement home on the main highway, I can't remember the name, but it's on the old "Pixie Kitchen" building. I believe Sambos is either directly across the street or just a few blocks down. It's only been two months since I've been there, and I'm having issues remembering exactly where each is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon