Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM

75 posts, read 121,905 times

Advertisements

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

As of Nov 2011, Oregon at 9.1% = New Jersey at 9.1%

Historically, though, Oregon was been much harder hit than New Jersey wrt job loss. But OR does appear to be experiencing stronger job growth while NJ has remained quite stagnant.

Back in October, the Wall Street Journal reported greater predicted job growth in 2011-2017 for Oregon and Washington (1.8%) than New Jersey (1.4%) and New York (1.3%).

Which States Are Poised for Jobs Growth? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

What you may be experiencing here is Oregonians still reeling from the terrible effects of our national recession. Personally, I feel it's important to keep things in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 PM

75 posts, read 121,905 times
BTW, have you checked with Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association for jobs? Might want to have your husband get in touch with them and at best attempt to make some contacts.

Job Placement Service - Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association

Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,155,031 times
I went to Eugene last year and stayed for two weeks to scout for a job. I had a local number and address with a friend. In two weeks I put out over sixty plus resumes, cover letters and applications, but never did I receive one call. I live a few hundred miles south of Eugene. My friend said he would put me in touch if anyone called after I left and no calls.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,354,860 times
Fargobound is probably the rule rather than the exception. Of the hundred or even thousands of "I/We ar moving to Oregon" posts, just how many actually come back to the forum and report a successful move and employment within a year?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,453,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Fargobound is probably the rule rather than the exception. Of the hundred or even thousands of "I/We ar moving to Oregon" posts, just how many actually come back to the forum and report a successful move and employment within a year?
When I was unemployed last year, I sent out over 400 resumes in 9 months. I contacted every single person I knew via Linkedin and Facebook, and talked to recruiters from six different agencies.

I got six interviews for permanent positions, three of which were not even within my area of expertise and I shouldn't have been contacted in the first place. Of the other three, one was minimum wage for what should have been a senior position and I got bad feelings about the company in general so that I turned it down. In the next one the HR person and I didn't click, the interview went bad in general, luckily though as that company went out of business four months later. The last one would have had me with only a month home every six months.

I finally found a job through word of mouth, but it was pretty dismal getting there. As some one who in the past has gotten every job I've ever interviewed for and exceeded the employer's expectations, it was quite disheartening.

Unfortunately, I know of a lot of people in the same boat. A very good friend of mine laid off from the same company is still unemployed and only making ends meet these days with short term (a few weeks,) contracts.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,908 times
Your boyfriend might want to rethink surfing off the Oregon Coast. The whole area is effected by the Pacific Super Underthrust and Juan de Fuqua Plates which can cause tsunamis in just a few minutes. Plus, the rip currents could soon have your boyfriend headed to Japan on his surf board. The entire Oregon Coast is littered with ship wrecks, more so than the infamous Bermuda Triangle.

Well, the good part is he will love the fishing. Rivers and lakes are loaded with Brook, Tainbow and German Brown Trout, Steelhead and many types of Salmon. Go up on the Columbia and some good Sturgeon can still be caught. Great hunting too, with Black and White tail Deer, Columbia Elk, and Waterfoul.

The only places your boyfriend has a chance of making a decent living in landscaping (better call it yard work. Because to call yourself a landscaper in Oregon, he will need a business license, tax ID, bond and insurance. ) will be in the Portland /Metro area, Eugene-Springfield, Corvallis or Medford. In the smaller Oregon towns and especially the Coast, the established residents are very happy to have you move there. But considering many of these Native Oregonians have been unemployed for years, they won't be happy seeing you compete for jobs. Unemployment in many small towns is over 20% And of course after unemployment benefits have run out, they usually no longer go to the State Unemployment Office to remain a statistic.

Build a house? Surely you are kidding! Oregon has some of the most protective laws concerning Union Construction Labor. You cannot do plumbing or electric without being licensed. And that alone will cost you a lot of time and money. Buy an empty lot and the first thing you need do before getting an approval for building is an environmental impact statement from the Department of Environmental Quality. After that $10,000 or so to hook up to city water and sewer or put in a cesspit. Oregon is not the Wild West of 150 years ago, where you could homestead or pick up land cheap. In fact an empty lot for building will cost nearly as much and sometimes more than one with a pre-existing home.

A Bachelor's Degree in Literature is utterly useless. Only chance of utilizing that would to get a teaching certification. But doubt, eve then, he will see a job position. Now had he gone for a degree in writing and shown some talent, he might find something or go into self publication.

Well as to Green. Lots of that in Oregon. Practically everyone has a Medical Marijuana Card to use and grow it. And on the outskirts of many towns are cottage industry Meth Labs. Liberals should fit right in with these type. But the people that farm and own businesses are much hard line Conservatives. And again they will not care for anyone that might compete for jobs or other resources. Orego mainly welcomes retireees. They spend their money, pay taxes, but have very little effect on the economy except for driving rents a bit higher.

Your Eastern Accents will make you readily apparent as new arrivals. Outsiders call it Ore-E-Gone. But it's Ore-E-Gun. Just one example. Even DVM here will not allow you to get Oregon plates for your car or a driver's license until you establish residency. How? Bu showing 3 months of utility bills or the same in rental receipts. But how do you rent without first having a job, which will require the Oregon Driver's License? Well, you can plunk down cash for a year's lease on an apartment. About $10,000 for something respectable. Otherwise you will be living in motels or other short term and never qualify for the Driver's License.

Also, it should be mentioned that the two greatest economies of Oregon collapsed years ago. Logging and Lumber declined over a period of nearly 40 years. All Federal subsistances stopped, EPA made commercial logging very difficult and restrictions on lumber and paper mills became too costly. Then Fishing collapsed in just a year or two. Feds restricted fishing for Americans, while foreign trawlers still have at it on the entire West Coast. There are loads of fishing boats abandoned by owners. Even the banks won't touch them as they have become worthless and anyone buying one owes dock and other fees.

Now if you could open a brick and mortar business here, you would certainly find people more receptive to you moving here. Especially if you hired someone. But the chances of a successful business are likely less than 10% I see businesses opening all the time and they shut down within 3 months. Simply that there is little money left here. I had a 25 foot travel trailer I was simply trying to give away. It is still valued at $3500. No one has the money to even pick it up from where it is stored. I had some Gold Kruggerrands. When the cost of gold soared over $1900 an ounce last year, I tried to sell some. The best price offered me was $100 apiece, less than 5% of their value.

I believe you could find better locations to move to. I happen to have a total of 15 university degrees. One is a Master's Degree in Technical Writing. I have a Bachelor's in Political Science Pre-Law, Electronic Engineering. Master's Degrees in Metrology Computer Technology, and a PhD in Nuclear physics and Bio-Robotics. But, yes, I am unemployed here in Oregon. The only nuclear power plant at Hanford was shut down years ago. And while I cannot find employment. I do make a living from my writing. I write procedures for the aerospace industry, especially military. I have lost count but have well over 400 publications. The incredible part is that everything I ever submitted for publication was printed without return, modification or editing. Damned Chinese want to hire me for my aerospace and other technology skills. Were it a friendlier country, I might defect though.

Oh, BTW. With your Jersey plates on your car, you will find yourselves frequently pulled over by police. And if you go to the beach and leave your car, don't lock the doors. Because thieves will just smash the windows to get in. Out of state vehicles are selective targets. You should be fine parking in town though.

Last edited by Jennifer67044; 01-01-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer67044 View Post
Your boyfriend might want to rethink surfing off the Oregon Coast. The whole area is effected by the Pacific Super Underthrust and Juan de Fuqua Plates which can cause tsunamis in just a few minutes. Plus, the rip currents could soon have your boyfriend headed to Japan on his surf board. The entire Oregon Coast is littered with ship wrecks, more so than the infamous Bermuda Triangle.

Well, the good part is he will love the fishing. Rivers and lakes are loaded with Brook, Tainbow and German Brown Trout, Steelhead and many types of Salmon. Go up on the Columbia and some good Sturgeon can still be caught. Great hunting too, with Black and White tail Deer, Columbia Elk, and Waterfoul.

The only places your boyfriend has a chance of making a decent living in landscaping (better call it yard work. Because to call yourself a landscaper in Oregon, he will need a business license, tax ID, bond and insurance. ) will be in the Portland /Metro area, Eugene-Springfield, Corvallis or Medford. In the smaller Oregon towns and especially the Coast, the established residents are very happy to have you move there. But considering many of these Native Oregonians have been unemployed for years, they won't be happy seeing you compete for jobs. Unemployment in many small towns is over 20% And of course after unemployment benefits have run out, they usually no longer go to the State Unemployment Office to remain a statistic.

Build a house? Surely you are kidding! Oregon has some of the most protective laws concerning Union Construction Labor. You cannot do plumbing or electric without being licensed. And that alone will cost you a lot of time and money. Buy an empty lot and the first thing you need do before getting an approval for building is an environmental impact statement from the Department of Environmental Quality. After that $10,000 or so to hook up to city water and sewer or put in a cesspit. Oregon is not the Wild West of 150 years ago, where you could homestead or pick up land cheap. In fact an empty lot for building will cost nearly as much and sometimes more than one with a pre-existing home.

A Bachelor's Degree in Literature is utterly useless. Only chance of utilizing that would to get a teaching certification. But doubt, eve then, he will see a job position. Now had he gone for a degree in writing and shown some talent, he might find something or go into self publication.

Well as to Green. Lots of that in Oregon. Practically everyone has a Medical Marijuana Card to use and grow it. And on the outskirts of many towns are cottage industry Meth Labs. Liberals should fit right in with these type. But the people that farm and own businesses are much hard line Conservatives. And again they will not care for anyone that might compete for jobs or other resources. Orego mainly welcomes retireees. They spend their money, pay taxes, but have very little effect on the economy except for driving rents a bit higher.

Your Eastern Accents will make you readily apparent as new arrivals. Outsiders call it Ore-E-Gone. But it's Ore-E-Gun. Just one example. Even DVM here will not allow you to get Oregon plates for your car or a driver's license until you establish residency. How? Bu showing 3 months of utility bills or the same in rental receipts. But how do you rent without first having a job, which will require the Oregon Driver's License? Well, you can plunk down cash for a year's lease on an apartment. About $10,000 for something respectable. Otherwise you will be living in motels or other short term and never qualify for the Driver's License.

Also, it should be mentioned that the two greatest economies of Oregon collapsed years ago. Logging and Lumber declined over a period of nearly 40 years. All Federal subsistances stopped, EPA made commercial logging very difficult and restrictions on lumber and paper mills became too costly. Then Fishing collapsed in just a year or two. Feds restricted fishing for Americans, while foreign trawlers still have at it on the entire West Coast. There are loads of fishing boats abandoned by owners. Even the banks won't touch them as they have become worthless and anyone buying one owes dock and other fees.

Now if you could open a brick and mortar business here, you would certainly find people more receptive to you moving here. Especially if you hired someone. But the chances of a successful business are likely less than 10% I see businesses opening all the time and they shut down within 3 months. Simply that there is little money left here. I had a 25 foot travel trailer I was simply trying to give away. It is still valued at $3500. No one has the money to even pick it up from where it is stored. I had some Gold Kruggerrands. When the cost of gold soared over $1900 an ounce last year, I tried to sell some. The best price offered me was $100 apiece, less than 5% of their value.

I believe you could find better locations to move to. I happen to have a total of 15 university degrees. One is a Master's Degree in Technical Writing. I have a Bachelor's in Political Science Pre-Law, Electronic Engineering. Master's Degrees in Metrology Computer Technology, and a PhD in Nuclear physics and Bio-Robotics. But, yes, I am unemployed here in Oregon. The only nuclear power plant at Hanford was shut down years ago. And while I cannot find employment. I do make a living from my writing. I write procedures for the aerospace industry, especially military. I have lost count but have well over 400 publications. The incredible part is that everything I ever submitted for publication was printed without return, modification or editing. Damned Chinese want to hire me for my aerospace and other technology skills. Were it a friendlier country, I might defect though.

Oh, BTW. With your Jersey plates on your car, you will find yourselves frequently pulled over by police. And if you go to the beach and leave your car, don't lock the doors. Because thieves will just smash the windows to get in. Out of state vehicles are selective targets. You should be fine parking in town though.

Wow. Apparently the Mayans were right and Oregon is headed for destruction by the end of the year.

I guess I'd better go get my medical marijuana card since I'm apparently one of the few Oregonians that doesn't have one. Ride the next tsunami wave with my weed.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM

5,469 posts, read 8,200,718 times
Quote:
I believe you could find better locations to move to. I happen to have a total of 15 university degrees. One is a Master's Degree in Technical Writing. I have a Bachelor's in Political Science Pre-Law, Electronic Engineering. Master's Degrees in Metrology Computer Technology, and a PhD in Nuclear physics and Bio-Robotics. .................................
Wow!! You must have been in school for decades to earn all of those degrees.
Quote:
…................But, yes, I am unemployed here in Oregon. .
It has to be age discrimination.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,861 times
Wow. It would seem that there are some true Oregon haters out there huh?

Krystea, come and visit and see for yourself. You will love it here. What you have to understand about Oregonians is that we are very protective about our state. It is somewhat of an undiscovered treasure and we want to keep it that way. Some people think that the best way to do that is to bad-mouth it as much as possible to people who are thinking of moving here.

That being said, once you are here, your will be greeted with open arms. The people are very friendly. There are a few crabby people, but they all seem to be hold-up in their houses typing away on City-Data!!!

The coast is more conservative then the valley, but as a liberal myself I have never had any problems. People don't walk around with red and blue patches on, so unless you are running the streets yelling "I love Obama" then who cares anyways?

Jobs are hard to get, so don't come with no money in the bank. If I were you I would consider starting your own business, or maybe buying a small business that is for sale.

I have lived in a lot of states, and Oregon is by far the best fit for me. It is not for everyone though. It can be cloudy and rainy, but thank god for that or else EVERYONE would live here!!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
Practically everyone has a Medical Marijuana Card to use and grow it.
I was so intrigued by this assertion that I had to look it up...

55,322 people have cards and the population of Oregon per census bureau in 2010 was 3,831,074 which means that 1.4% of Oregonians have a medical marijuana card.

1.4%=practically everyone. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon