Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM

43 posts, read 195,189 times

Advertisements

I've read various comments about Ashland (differing, of course), but they are mainly from people who don't live there. I'd love to hear opinions and insights from people who currently live in Ashland. I love the town, have visited quite a few times, but, of course, that's just a snap shot. I know people say it has changed dramatically. I'm trying to think if I know of anywhere desirable that hasn't!! Everything's relative.

Any info on what it's like to live there would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 29,229 times
Well, I used to live in Ashland - from 2000 - about 2004. I probably wouldn't have even noticed Southern Oregon if it wasn't for Ashland. But here are my comments on Ashland:
It's a great place, has lots to offer, from gourmet and organic foods to theater to SOU. You can walk everywhere in town easily. If you live on the hill, and drive a manual transmission, you'll have to watch your clutch and brakes. My car was broken into twice, once on B street, and Once on Ohio Street, but most people leave their doors unlocked. It's pretty. There are deer, especially up on the hill that come around, and raccoons that run and duck into the storm drains at night. In the winter, there's a cozy smell of wood stoves. However, people living in Ashland, tend to want to stay in Ashland, and never leave Ashland to go to any of the surrounding communities. They say "Medford" with disdain in their tone, and after a while, Ashland begins to feel like a small surreal island. Similar to Jacksonville, if you own property, you will find it difficult to build, remodel, or do much with your property, as there are many hoops that need to be jumped through. Housing costs are among the highest in the Rogue Valley (Ashland, East Medford, Jacksonville).
Ashland actually seems like one place that doesn't change all that drastically. Medford has changed drastically since 2000 - gotten less ugly, has more interesting people, and now features some restaurants that are actually nice, rather than 100% fast food chains, as it was in 00. But Ashland is pretty consistent. Very nice, but almost gets cult-like.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM

43 posts, read 195,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderEng View Post
Well, I used to live in Ashland - from 2000 - about 2004. I probably wouldn't have even noticed Southern Oregon if it wasn't for Ashland. But here are my comments on Ashland:
It's a great place, has lots to offer, from gourmet and organic foods to theater to SOU. You can walk everywhere in town easily. If you live on the hill, and drive a manual transmission, you'll have to watch your clutch and brakes. My car was broken into twice, once on B street, and Once on Ohio Street, but most people leave their doors unlocked. It's pretty. There are deer, especially up on the hill that come around, and raccoons that run and duck into the storm drains at night. In the winter, there's a cozy smell of wood stoves. However, people living in Ashland, tend to want to stay in Ashland, and never leave Ashland to go to any of the surrounding communities. They say "Medford" with disdain in their tone, and after a while, Ashland begins to feel like a small surreal island. Similar to Jacksonville, if you own property, you will find it difficult to build, remodel, or do much with your property, as there are many hoops that need to be jumped through. Housing costs are among the highest in the Rogue Valley (Ashland, East Medford, Jacksonville).
Ashland actually seems like one place that doesn't change all that drastically. Medford has changed drastically since 2000 - gotten less ugly, has more interesting people, and now features some restaurants that are actually nice, rather than 100% fast food chains, as it was in 00. But Ashland is pretty consistent. Very nice, but almost gets cult-like.
Thanks SnyderEng for your perspective. It's nice to hear the positives and negatives. I understand what you are saying about not wanting to visit the surrounding communities; I've already heard it from people who live there, at least when it comes to Medford, Grants Pass, etc. But I've also met people there who embrace the surrounding areas. I lived in Napa, CA, for 8 years, and met tons of people there who had never even been to San Francisco -- actually had never been out of Napa! It's beyond me, but some people are funny that way.

Why did you leave, and where did you go?

Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon