Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Malthusians have been around for a long, long time and they are almost always proven wrong.

In other news Australia has been wrecked by their one year old carbon tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Carbon tax? I hope not. I can see the inconsiderate liberals in Portland using it as a hammer to prevent the rest of the state from heating with wood.

They don't heat with wood themselves, so they assume that no one else needs it either. Very egocentric of them, as usual.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Carbon tax? I hope not. I can see the inconsiderate liberals in Portland using it as a hammer to prevent the rest of the state from heating with wood.
I hate the fact Liberal/Conservative labels are used as such a huge brush - usually with derision.

Wouldn't it be better to say:" I can see some PEOPLE in Portland using it as a hammer to prevent the rest of the state from heating with wood." ?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:

They don't heat with wood themselves, so they assume that no one else needs it either. Very egocentric of them, as usual.
Oregon also has more legacy Detroit Iron running around on leaded gasoline than other places. Is this a good thing to encourage? Yah... heating with wood is cheap. Just go into the woods and chop down the winter heating bill! What's not to like. IT ISN'T SUSTAINABLE!!! Who's inconsiderate!!!!! Define inconsiderate!! I've heard everything now. People considered inconsiderate because they object to particulate matter in the air, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere... ... what ever are those Libs thinking? I need to go do some Yoga if I can possibly make it downstairs before suffering a stroke.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
This thread is amazing.

I love the ultimate authority you allow the government to tax carbon emissions. (what exactly would the government do with the money specifically collected from carbon emissions?)

The best tax (if there is one) is a consumptive tax. You use it pay the tax. Its fair, it taxes everyone equally based on consumption.

Tax carbon based fuels at the consumer level. Additional tax on your electric bill. What? but, I pay for wind power! Those towers did not grow up out of the ground naturally did they? My plug in car doesn't pollute! The power plant its hooked up to does.

You use it pay the tax.

You already are effectively renting from the state with property tax. Don't think so? See what happens if you fail to pay it.

The tax needs to be real and shown clearly on every bill or receipt. So many people think the carbon tax will punish the "fat cats". You foot the bill either way.

Why fool yourselves?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Oregon also has more legacy Detroit Iron running around on leaded gasoline than other places. Is this a good thing to encourage? Yah... heating with wood is cheap. Just go into the woods and chop down the winter heating bill! What's not to like. IT ISN'T SUSTAINABLE!!! Who's inconsiderate!!!!! Define inconsiderate!! I've heard everything now. People considered inconsiderate because they object to particulate matter in the air, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere... ... what ever are those Libs thinking? I need to go do some Yoga if I can possibly make it downstairs before suffering a stroke.
Wood is carbon neutral and the modern EPA approved wood stoves burn very clean. Replacement of old stoves and fireplace inserts took a real boost when the legislature required removal of any non-certified heating appliance before a house can be sold. For that matter, pellet stoves also burn very clean.

Wood heat is one of the few sustainable resources we have.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
Here's a better idea: a tax credit for planting trees in areas that have been previously clear-cut/burnt.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:

They've already done that.

There are no truly viable wood heat products legal to sell or use in Oregon anymore.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
This thread is amazing.

I love the ultimate authority you allow the government to tax carbon emissions. (what exactly would the government do with the money specifically collected from carbon emissions?)

Use it to study ways to tax us more.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
LOL, Look. Just because your politics is such that you like these arguments, doesn't mean they're true in any fashion.

Wood heating is NOT a problem. Nor is CO2 emissions. Nor will whatever the rest of the state does EVER matter to anyone in Portland. They're downwind of you, permanently. These people are just arrogant jerks who want to force their silly nonsense on everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon