Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

So I'd heard about this before, but I'd forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned in a post on the WA forum.

Why can't you pump your own gas in Oregon? Who came up with that law, and why???

My wife ran into the same thing when she was on a business trip in NJ. She got out of her car to pump gas, and she said the attendant came running out all irate, telling her to step away from the pumps! That's crazy! Apparently, NJ and OR are the only two states in the country where this is the law.

I just find this really bizarre. Is there any talk of ever changing the law in OR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM

23 posts, read 90,484 times
Default Why change?

Actually, I kinda like having someone pump my gas for me. I never smell like gas or diesel, don't have to get out when it's raining or blowing, and can even get someone else to wash my windows! Don't you like service? And, think of all the jobs Oregon (and NJ) has that other states don't. Lots of young guys and gals, and even old guys and gals get jobs pumping gas. I'm for it! I travel a lot and Oregon's gas prices aren't any higher then anywhere else on the average. Give me the good old days when gas station attendants actually offered "service".

PS...when they're a little slow I do sneak out and top it off so I can get going!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM

176 posts, read 632,064 times
It's part of the very heavy blue collar protection in OR. Pumping gas in OR pays about the same as hard labor at a mill in TX (about $8/hour). You can easily hit assistant manager and get $10-11/hour. Think about how many gas stations there are in OR, how many people they have to employ to stay open (gas stations are usually open very early/late, or even 24/7). That's a lot of jobs. Same reason a mill worker here can make $50+k/year. We protect the blue collar workers more than practically any other state...then it's expensive as hell to do business here so not many businesses come...and then you have OR's historically high unemployment rate and relatively high cost of living.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm883 View Post
Actually, I kinda like having someone pump my gas for me. I never smell like gas or diesel, don't have to get out when it's raining or blowing, and can even get someone else to wash my windows! Don't you like service? And, think of all the jobs Oregon (and NJ) has that other states don't. Lots of young guys and gals, and even old guys and gals get jobs pumping gas. I'm for it! I travel a lot and Oregon's gas prices aren't any higher then anywhere else on the average. Give me the good old days when gas station attendants actually offered "service".

PS...when they're a little slow I do sneak out and top it off so I can get going!

I've been pumping my own gas since I was a teen and I have yet to smell like gasoline or even HEAR of someone smelling like gasoline from pumping gas.

That being said, I've said this on another thread and I'll say it here....if you have small kids it's acutally a benefit to have someone pump the gas for you. I can't leave my kids in the car while I run in and pay because well, that's just plain stupid, and it's such a pain to bring them in with me. Most of the less expensive gas stations where I am don't have the Pay-at-the-Pump feature and many of them that do don't work. I don't like to use the card that often either because I lose track of what I've spent. I don't think I'll mind having to leave just a couple minutes earlier when I need to take the time to get gas.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
It's done as a courtesy to the old folks who come to Oregon for the suicide,

Click here and you will understand:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...wim/Oregon.gif

Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm883 View Post
My dad ran a full-service gas station/garage when I was growing up in Michigan. People seemed to like the service. But this was 25 years ago, and it just seems so ... antiquated now!

I've always pumped my own gas. Having the option of full service is fine. I'd just prefer to have a choice. Most states now are completely self-serve, but some stores still have separate self-serve and full-serve bays. If you want someone to pump for you, then you pull up to the full-serve bay. That just seems more sensible to me. But what do I know?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
It's part of the very heavy blue collar protection in OR. Pumping gas in OR pays about the same as hard labor at a mill in TX (about $8/hour). You can easily hit assistant manager and get $10-11/hour. Think about how many gas stations there are in OR, how many people they have to employ to stay open (gas stations are usually open very early/late, or even 24/7). That's a lot of jobs. Same reason a mill worker here can make $50+k/year. We protect the blue collar workers more than practically any other state...then it's expensive as hell to do business here so not many businesses come...and then you have OR's historically high unemployment rate and relatively high cost of living.
Mm-hmm. I always figured this was part of the reason they have mandatory annual auto inspections down here in VA ... purely to keep the service stations in business and provide additional opportunities for the blue-collar guys. Interesting stuff.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 AM

840 posts, read 6,516,145 times
Personally, it's alot faster if I pump my own gas. Sometimes I have to wait up to 10 minutes before someone comes up to my car and another 10 minutes after the gas has stopped pumping.

I just always thought Oregonians just don't know how to pump their own gas.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
The first time I was in Oregon I got out of my car and started to pump my own gas, and a young lady ran out waving and said, "Wait, wait - you must be from California - you can't pump your own gas here!" When I asked her why, SHE claimed it was because it was unhealthy to smell the fumes, and that Oregon is more concerned about people's health than other states. So I said, "You mean it's better for you to make minimum wage smelling it 40 hours a week than it is for the rest of us to smell it for three minutes once a week?" That made her scrunch her face up in confusion.

I really think it's got to be for job protection, as another poster pointed out...the health angle makes no sense to me since you can cut way back on the fumes with the right equipment on the pumps, and even if you couldn't make it safer, that would be more reason not to have people pumping it all week!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM

252 posts, read 953,462 times
I learned to drive in a self pump state but love the luxury of not having to get out and pump in the rain and wind here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon