Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickers View Post
You nailed it. Urban growth boundaries really restrict growth. There are some 55 plus communities, mostly modular or mobile home types; they're really not communties, just staging areas for funeral homes.
Kind of had to laugh at that...a little exaggerated, but...I live in a gated community in CA and like the amenities, but people here are pretty old, especially in their thinking. I guess I am too, but not old mentality. I have been interested in moving to Salem and am visiting again next week. I have to admit, I am a senior, choke...but most think I'm quite a bit younger. I guess I fool them (no plastic surgery, btw...just born young). Anyway, I'm looking for property also, perhaps rent first and happened on this blog. What do you think about a 55+ single (progressive) woman looking to move to Salem who doesn't know a soul there? Is this crazy? I don't want to live in a modular or mobile home waiting to die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
its not crazy to move up here and not know a soul we moved into a senior manufactured home community in salem 13 years ago and love it. we nor did our neighbors move here to die.we are all busy people who volunteer some work part-time enjoy the time for hobbies and more even have yards to enjoy..yes people die while living here but so do people die living in regular neighbor hoods.
one step further on this who really cares!!! if you have had a tweek here or there sorry but that's a California thing andi'm and Californian saying this...
come up and look around you might like it.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
I just moved into an over 55 manufactured home community in Southern Oregon. It is most certainly not a bunch of people waiting to die. In fact, the monthly calendar is so full, there is something going on every day. Each home has a small yard and the area is just heaven if you enjoy gardening. I couldn't be happier. I love the area, I love my home, and my new neighbors couldn't be nicer or more welcoming. I think manufactured home communities are a brilliant idea for seniors who want to live in a desirable area and lack the funds for a traditional type home.

Last edited by Tulippsy; 04-15-2016 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Okay, thanks, I will be open to that. I did take a trip up there and just got back. I looked at housing under $300K but didn't see much I liked because the houses were stacked so close. My house is valued under $300K so would need to stay under $275K. My house has a view in a woodsy, hilly terrain and don't see neighbors much (have just under half an acre). I like that privacy which unfortunately isn't usually the case in mobile home parks. I didn't like the new developments in Salem because of the "tract" homes, small lots. I still like it in Salem though, especially the northwest and south areas. I was told to stay away from north and northeast areas. Since I didn't find anything which was private and didn't need tons of work, I was thinking of selling my house anyway and renting at first. The realtor who showed me around said that the houses go fast and mostly don't want to sell with contingency of selling my house first. Second obstacle...I have three cats. She said it's hard to find rentals which would take cats which are in a nice area. Is that going to be a problem?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:19 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
Hello, Seagrass,

I can't answer your question specifically but I can share my experience. Like you I am interested in moving to Oregon; specifically the Salem area. Also like you I have three cats. Initially my interest was in a 55+ community. In Salem I found a house I liked in the Salemtowne development, which is 55+. The price was just under $300 if my memory is correct. It sold several months ago and no longer shows up on Zillow, etc. I think the sqft was about 1600. The house itself needed kitchen, bathroom and flooring work. The setting was very nice and backed out to a golf course.

But the three cats! Only two companion animals are permitted in Salemtowne. So that was the end of that even though I also saw a couple of other nice properties there.

I'm interested in another community in Issaquah, WA, but they have the same restriction. Still another one interests me in Lacey, WA but the minimum age is 63 and it is expensive with a hefty entrance fee. The municipality of Olympia/Lacey permits three pets, but I don't know about the development, which is "Panorama".

BTW I understand the municipal regulations of Salem permit 3 dogs and 3 cats, at least according to their website.

Wishing you good luck!

Old 05-08-2016, 06:09 AM

29 posts, read 24,169 times
ok, so that means all the new houses and projects in Eugene around me, that now have all the very high fences around them are not the coming trend? I lived in a condo, and condo community, long ago, and I hated it.They tell you EVERY SINGLE THING YOU CANNOT DO, which got pretty despotic.I finally dumped it, left, very happy I did.I'd never go into another one again.

Seagrass, be careful about whether to move to Oregon;every single thing negative, from L.A., WE LEFT, IS NOW IN OREGON. they just brought it all with them.Oregon is now a cliche for "moved from CA, with all of L.A.,, to OR, only thing we forgot to bring was Hollywood."

Last edited by doo555; 05-08-2016 at 06:21 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 09:43 PM

285 posts, read 377,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Thanks all for all your responses, and rather quickly I might add.
I probably should have been more specific though. I am considering to purchase a house in an active community as an option! Not buy or rent a condo/house!

I looked at a couple of Del Webbs north of Los Angeles approx. six years ago and the R.E. agent told me that quite a few of the homeowners travel most of the year and just use that home as a temporary resting place before they hit the skies or ocean again, thus justifying the gates...must be nice!

I like that Oregon is safe enough that it doesn't warrant gates. I'm also happy to hear that Oregonians accept new people from other states who love Oregon, as long as they don't try and clone it into the state they just left! Sounds fair and normal to me.

I just registered at a senior center in the area of the hotel I'm staying. I'll give it a try to test the waters.
There are some very nice Destination Resorts around the Bend area, like Sunriver, not all of them are gated. They are HOA's with strict rules and private security, so it's like being in a gated community.

Oregoninans .... are absolutely NOT welcome to outsiders. That, is why they have Urban Growth Boundaries. Same, with Washington State. Washington, looks down on Oregon as a poverty stricken, meth and pot abusing land of rednicks and hicks, but nevertheless, "copied" Oregon and installed urban boundaries.

Oregon ..... is NOT safe enough that it doesn't warrant gates. It has the SAME drug and crime problems as anywhere else on the West Coast. The drugs came in like crazy about 10 to 15 years ago.

Except for a few cities, most cities in California do NOT have urban growth boundaries ..... they have room for master planned communities - such as Sun City Lincoln, Sun City Roseville, etc.

Arizona, every square inch is master planned by way of State Edict from the Department of State Lands and related agencies.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM

285 posts, read 377,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I just moved into an over 55 manufactured home community in Southern Oregon. It is most certainly not a bunch of people waiting to die. In fact, the monthly calendar is so full, there is something going on every day. Each home has a small yard and the area is just heaven if you enjoy gardening. I couldn't be happier. I love the area, I love my home, and my new neighbors couldn't be nicer or more welcoming. I think manufactured home communities are a brilliant idea for seniors who want to live in a desirable area and lack the funds for a traditional type home.
Great post, and Southern Oregon is one of the best areas of Oregon to retire. For one, the weather, less rain (unless you're in Grants Pass) - Medford and Ashland are dry, there is a long history of seniors retiring in the area, and plenty of medical services, and gorgeous scenery + warm springs, hot summers, and nice falls. Excellent local governments keep the roads paved in Jackson County, Medford, and Ashland. Seniors will very much welcome seniors, however, Oregonians in general (I mean all ages!) hate outsiders.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Yes, there are gated communities in Oregon, but not anything like Arizona or certain parts of SoCal. I think it comes down to how safe most feel in this area. The 55+ communities are fine, but be aware of 55+ apartments. Those guys charge an arm and a leg, or two, for services that you may not need. Be very wary of these...but they are out there obviously.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
Oregoninans .... are absolutely NOT welcome to outsiders. That, is why they have Urban Growth Boundaries.
That may be your interpretation, but it is absolutely not correct - the point of the Urban Growth Boundaries was to protect prime farmland from being plowed under for subdivisions and keep the Willamette Valley from being one huge urban housing development. The boundaries require a city to have a certain percentage of available land and to plan future expansions, rather than just putting all land up for sale to the developer willing to pay the most.

It means we don't have the massive developments that feature hundreds on hundreds of houses sprawling across the hills (the good) but it also keeps land values relatively high (the bad).

Southern Oregon has the same Urban Growth Boundaries as the rest of the state, which, again, have nothing to do with outsiders and much more to do with protecting farm land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon