Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times

Advertisements

I'm speaking strictly about the wetter part of Oregon.

Right now here in central Fl. my cactus & succulents hold their own living in a shady apt. patio with only about an hour of direct evening sun (May-Aug).
The rest of the yr the sun doesn't penetrate the patio.
Yet they seem to survive if not thrive.

I rarely water them so I was curious if they would turn to mush when exposed to prolonged rain with limited drying conditions.

Being they are in containers, I could always move them when needed but would rather not.
Cactus and succulents big selling point is to "set em and forget them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
If you are driving them out here, you don't want to drive through California.

CDFA > Plant > Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the Transport of Houseplants in California

There are inspection stations set up on most of the main roads coming in. Telling them "but I am on my way to Oregon" generally won't cut it.

Most succulents and cactus would be considered "tender" (ie: indoor for winter). There are some that are hardy here but I doubt you are growing them in Florida.

Tender Succulents

Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
I'm up in Salem and my Sedum's , hens & chicks all do ok..
Where do plan to come to in Oregon.You can call the extension office in the town your coming to or
one of the local (not box store) nurseries and they will be glad to help you..
The issue is not coming into Oregon from Ca is south bound Oregon to Ca. ..I recently met a group of Iris growers
from Texas that had driven in with iris to show at a big meeting Portland, they came up I-5 but were
taking the long way home to avoid the inspection station.
good luck with your move.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
We see those inspection stations from OR into CA, I am not so sure that they don't exist at the NV or AZ border (but then nothing grows in AZ so they may not bother).

Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
Wow, I never knew about inspection stations.
I don't see what the problem is since they wouldn't affect any agricultural crops.

BTW, I smuggled a couple of cactus & succulent cuttings on a flight back from Peru.
No problem.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
The inspection stations due exist going into AZ and from NV to California..
I think the real issue that they are looking for is fruit..Now that cherries are in
season here they will be checking for them..
Its just something to beware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: