Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I will admit I have had to wait a bit a few times, but that has been when filling up during peak hours, or filling up at large low cost station like Costco or Freddies or something.

It's not that hard to find another station if you are upset with the level of service you are getting at another.
If you have to wait, you would be waiting a lot longer if you had to wait behind some old person with shaky hands trying to fill up their own gas.

Also, you might want to avoid Costco and Fred Meyer. Not only to save time waiting in line, but also because 1. They are selling you a lower grade of gas. 2. They are probably still not cheaper. Right now in the area where I usually fill up my gas, there is an ARCO station selling gas for 4¢ a gallon less then Fred Meyer ($2.37 vs $2.41). I don’t know what those stupid reward points they are always trying to get me to sign up for, would get me, but I seriously doubt they would save me more then 4¢ a gallon. Then there is the Safeway which also has rewards points, and their gas is the highest price in town by about 10¢. The reward points probably lower the price by 5¢.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
But a full service gas price has always been more from what I have seen. Never even the same, that is a fact.

I do not see a logical explanation to how a gas station with people pumping gas for you instead of you doing it yourself could ever allow cheaper gas prices? Makes no sense!

If OR somehow managed to prevent this from not causing higher gas prices then that is great but if the people or the state is not funding it, then that means the gas stations are which would force them to leverage this extra cost by passing it back on to customer. Am I right or am I right?

I do understand this creates jobs but could there be something else (and better) these people do and let the customers pump their own gas? Or, at least, offer both and let people choose?

If they are fast and courteous that is great but I wouldn't want anyone else pumping gas when I am on my motorcycle. I have to be very careful not to spill any onto the painted surfaces, would an attended be that careful too?

The only thing that I am against is the fact that people have no choice in the matter. You simply have to freedom of choice.
No good.
I explained that, and people called me crazy. The major oil companies have a self-serve business model and don't want to employ individuals. That means many Oregon gas stations are locally owned independents. This cuts the legs from under major oil company price fixing. As soon as you give up the independents, you are stuck paying whatever the majors decide to charge you. An independent can just broker in whatever gasoline is cheapest, add the brand additive package, and sell it as Shell or Exxon or BP.

If you go to self service, the money just goes into rich people's pockets instead of local earners, and it actually costs you more.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,963 times
Always had problems with ARCO gas. I'll fill up with Chevron, wherever possible. Techron is a superior additive.

I haven't seen anyone refute the fact that it's far safer to have a paid professional fill our cars. Of course, there are varying degrees of "professional".

Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
Let's face it...the Oregon no-self serve law is archaic. It is time to get Oregon into the 21st century. Perhaps bring those jobs into the C-stores for better service. If not, then so be it. Let Oregon run their stores/stations at maximum efficiency, something they can't do with current laws.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Let's face it...the Oregon no-self serve law is archaic. It is time to get Oregon into the 21st century. Perhaps bring those jobs into the C-stores for better service. If not, then so be it. Let Oregon run their stores/stations at maximum efficiency, something they can't do with current laws.
Let's face it, Washington State needs to lower their gas prices and put about 10,000 or more people to work by getting into the 21st century and doing as we do it Oregon.

It's kinda silly to tell people in another state how to live, isn't it?

Old 06-17-2016, 08:41 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I explained that, and people called me crazy. The major oil companies have a self-serve business model and don't want to employ individuals. That means many Oregon gas stations are locally owned independents. This cuts the legs from under major oil company price fixing. As soon as you give up the independents, you are stuck paying whatever the majors decide to charge you. An independent can just broker in whatever gasoline is cheapest, add the brand additive package, and sell it as Shell or Exxon or BP.

If you go to self service, the money just goes into rich people's pockets instead of local earners, and it actually costs you more.
Thank you for the explanation Larry, I guess I missed your prior post (too many to read when you are at work at doing a quick scan).

If what you are saying is a fact, then I agree. I can't argue either way because I can only reference what I have seen in a few other states. That said, AZ has self-pump stations too and their gas prices are about $0.60 per gallon cheaper than CA, so, not sure how they manage that?
You could argue saying land/rent is cheaper in AZ and that is true but CA would have an advantage of higher sales volume due to having way more people/vehicles which should easily offset the difference, if not more.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Oregon both times I was there like 13 years ago and I would like to settle down there sometime in the future but I vehemently dislike any law that doesn't allow me to do something as trivial as pumping my own gas. I wonder how it would effect the current set up if they offered at least couple of self-service pumps at each gas station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Always had problems with ARCO gas. I'll fill up with Chevron, wherever possible. Techron is a superior additive.

I haven't seen anyone refute the fact that it's far safer to have a paid professional fill our cars. Of course, there are varying degrees of "professional".
Say no to ARCO if you love your vehicle and/or it doesn't run on gas+alcohol combination.
Yes, they don't buy their oil from Middle East but the quality of their petrol at the pump is terrible.

Even though Chevron, Mobil, Shell buy from ME Oil companies, due to their quality, I typically get it from one of them.
BP is also selling only American Oil just like WalMart but did not see one around where I live.

As a motorcycle owner/rider, I try to buy non-Ethanol gas whenever possible.

In that regard, kudos to OR for having so many gas stations all around the state that sell non-Ethanol gas!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Let's face it, Washington State needs to lower their gas prices and put about 10,000 or more people to work by getting into the 21st century and doing as we do it Oregon.

It's kinda silly to tell people in another state how to live, isn't it?
No it really isn't silly, as I live near the border and frequently drive and buy gas in Oregon.

BTW, according to gasbuddy, gas prices are almost identical in Washington and Oregon after you subtract each state's gas tax. If you want to argue the gas tax, fine. But the actual cost of gas is the same.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:27 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
No it really isn't silly, as I live near the border and frequently drive and buy gas in Oregon.

BTW, according to gasbuddy, gas prices are almost identical in Washington and Oregon after you subtract each state's gas tax. If you want to argue the gas tax, fine. But the actual cost of gas is the same.
Do you subtract the gas tax when you buy it? You pay what they charge at the pump. Oregon gas is usually cheaper.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Do you subtract the gas tax when you buy it? You pay what they charge at the pump. Oregon gas is usually cheaper.

You are missing the point, as is Larry Caldwell and his phony big oil monopoly argument.
Oregon prices are a little cheaper because of a lower state tax, that's it.

Oregon should eliminate mandated Non-value-add gas pumpers and then raise the state gas tax to generate the revenue this state claims it needs so bad. This would be a win-win for citizens and state coffers.

You can safely assume you are paying about 7-10 cents per gal to the dude/dudette filling your tank.
Assumptions:
$12/hr. mandated min wage
10 cars filled/hr.
20 gal/car. (200 gal/hr)
This equals 1200/200 = .06 cents plus 30% overhead and payroll tax; means we pay 7-10 cents gal for this "privilege."

You can play with my assumptions but the point is that these people ARE additional cost. We all pay this and for those of us who feel it is Non value add; it is wasted $.

I would rather see state spend it on roads as tax $.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
Quote:
I would rather see state spend it on roads as tax $.
The problem with that is the state would probably use the money for anything but that.

At least we know where the money is going now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon