Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, but you need to drive on the main access roads to get to a place to view the eclipse. The eclipse will be over in a jiffy, but the traffic will still be a nightmare. This event is attracting visitors from all over the world, and Madras is being reported as the best location in the country to view it. I hope you are right, but I have a hard time believing that there are not going to be some traffic issues.
I agree with this. Bend is sold out now. Hood River is sold out. Everyone plans to drive in the morning of the eclipse or the night before. It is going to be gridlock. I've seen "availability" at an economy hotel in Bend the day AFTER the eclipse for $1500/night. Hotels are gouging everywhere. Reports of a hotel in Salem cancelling reservations and demanding 3x the rate. We've got a spot in Salem, but we are anticipating clouds.

We'd book in Madras at Solarfest as a backup, but we have doubts about getting there in the days before and getting out without a 12 hour drive. The coast? Why risk it. The coast is nice in the afternoons, but is almost always fogged in in the mornings. What else, Cove Palisades sold out in 17 seconds. They say it was in an hour, but that's for all parks and they came online every few minutes after 12:01am. Cove Palisades and Farewell Bend are the only decent state parks so far for viewing prospects, IMO. They were gone within seconds.

They've clearly underestimated the demand. Every VRBO between Redmond to Hood River in the totality zone is booked. I suspect the smart people who booked in Bend the night before will NOT even get to Redmond on time. Getting to Madras that morning will be futile. Chasing the eclipse on 26 will also be futile. Everyone has that plan. I think Idaho would be a better bet for people travelling. It might be easier to drive to Ontario, OR from Boise the morning of. Everyone is coming to Oregon for this. Central Oregon will surely be a mess.

Last edited by or_camper; 11-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:05 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by or_camper View Post
I agree with this. Bend is sold out now. Hood River is sold out. Everyone plans to drive in the morning of the eclipse or the night before. It is going to be gridlock. I've seen "availability" at an economy hotel in Bend the day AFTER the eclipse for $1500/night. Hotels are gouging everywhere. Reports of a hotel in Salem cancelling reservations and demanding 3x the rate. We've got a spot in Salem, but we are anticipating clouds.

We'd book in Madras at Solarfest as a backup, but we have doubts about getting there in the days before and getting out without a 12 hour drive. The coast? Why risk it. The coast is nice in the afternoons, but is almost always fogged in in the mornings. What else, Cove Palisades sold out in 17 seconds. They say it was in an hour, but that's for all parks and they came online every few minutes after 12:01am. Cove Palisades and Farewell Bend are the only decent state parks so far for viewing prospects, IMO. They were gone within seconds.

They've clearly underestimated the demand. Every VRBO between Redmond to Hood River in the totality zone is booked. I suspect the smart people who booked in Bend the night before will NOT even get to Redmond on time. Getting to Madras that morning will be futile. Chasing the eclipse on 26 will also be futile. Everyone has that plan. I think Idaho would be a better bet for people travelling. It might be easier to drive to Ontario, OR from Boise the morning of. Everyone is coming to Oregon for this. Central Oregon will surely be a mess.
I agree about the weather on the coast. If the eclipse was in the afternoon, the coast would be perfect. But unfortunately it will be happening just as the clouds are starting to burn off. Right now my plans are to see what the weather forecast is. If the weather forecast for the coast is favorable enough, I'll just drive to Lincoln Beach, and try to arrive around sunrise. That should give me enough time to find someplace to park and walk to a good viewing location.

If the forecast is not favorable for the coast, which is very likely, then I'll drive to Madras the day before and try to arrive around sunset. Then sleep in my car. Worse case scenario, if the highway is gridlocked, I'll just stay on the road all night. Hopefully it won't take me more then 12 hours to get through the traffic jam, and I will able to get there before the eclipse.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:04 PM

51 posts, read 49,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fly Manchester to PDX, (SWA.... Maine lobster (coolers/bags fly free), trade for Salmon in PNW (2x50#coolers for each passenger)).
Rent a priceline / hotwire car (next door WA rentals are often cheaper, a $6 uber ride will get you to WA).

Stay in private hospitality Guest homes ($10 / night Worldwide, been doing that for 30 yrs; over 100 this yr alone)

For eclipse date...Consider eastern OR, Prineville to John Day, camping will be an option. (watch the weather and be flexible) You can get some cheap camping gear here, and donate to homeless when you leave... (or borrow from Guest home hosts, we do that frequently)

Take a Columbia Gorge Loop (Biggs / Maryhill to Troutdale)
+ a Northern OR Coast Loop, (Newport to Astoria)
Add Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, as time permits.
2 - 3 days in Portland area for food trucks, parks, free concerts, city life, and west Columbia Gorge (weekend is easier for traffic and parking).
Crater Lake, Lassen (CA), Oregon Caves, and Coast Redwoods is about a week project. Maybe another trip based in Sacramento or Medford, OR
EDIT: Sorry, this has nothing to do with the eclipse, lol. Wish I could make it, but from what I've read that would be a lot of expense and trouble to go through with no guarantee that the weather will cooperate (always seems to be my luck when I want to see something like that). Sure would be nice if I already lived there ;?)

Hi StealthRabbit, that sounds very interesting, and I'm really curious as to what these "private hospitality guest homes" are that you mentioned. At $10 a night that's an incredible bargain, heck you could just bounce around all year and never have to rent a house or pay a mortgage, lol, although you'd have to enjoy traveling light and a lot as a trade-off I suppose ;?D.

So is there a website to go to find these? That might be a fun way to save money when I come for my initial visit next March/April.

Last edited by Russspeak; 11-27-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russspeak View Post
...what these "private hospitality guest homes" are that you mentioned. ...
So is there a website to go to find these?
here is a generic site that lists many hospitality groups (But fortunately does not have my favorites, which you will find as you get to traveling and folks will recommend to you other groups that you might enjoy)
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

COST is not paramount, the 'hospitality' benefit is huge. These people have a passion to host, are very helpful, kind, safe, informative, have beautiful homes and cottages. They can usually cook excellent, and often fix you up with a packed lunch for the next day. Often we have stayed at farms and orchards and carried away buckets of terrific produce, especially if we spend a few hours helping around the farm. We have stayed and helped remodel, and helped with the host's volunteer organizations. On occasion the host has an emergency come up, so we offer to stay and watch the farm / animals / elderly residents who are under care.

Much more about the relationships and shared experiences, rather than the cost savings. We have great 'host' friends from 30 yrs ago, and we are now helping their grandkids go on overseas volunteer / hospitality trips.

Hospitality stays were great experiences for our kids. (they grew up REAL fast when they experienced true culture / life challenges across economic and cultural barriers.) We often took 6-12 wk 'field trips' so staying in hundreds of hospitality locations worldwide with our kids.

Try it and see if it fits for you!

I would much rather stay with locals, than in a hotel (5* - 2*). 'Memorable' Hotels are not usually good memories!, tho we have had our fill of 5* since employment sent us overseas as a family. We remember a FEW of those posh digs, but we remember ALL the guest homes, and great people.

There are MANY in the solar eclipse path. (Or within a couple hours)

For those all worried about traffic.... Just head out at 2 AM, you will have great chance to find a spot. Many people are not fond of night driving. I am a commercial driver, so ALWAYS prefer driving nights.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 PM

51 posts, read 49,056 times
Wow, appreciate the quick response StealthRabbit, and that does sound fantastic! I honestly do enjoy that sort of thing, reminds me of the times I stayed with families when I traveled through Costa Rica back in the 80's, sort of a cross between youth hostels and B&B's. I will definitly check this out, I'd love to meet people from the area as I want to learn everything I can before making my decision where to put down roots. Thanks so much for the advice ;?)

Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Sumpter Valley Railroad (made possible with a lot of volunteer labor) has a special "Eclipse Express":

https://www.sumptervalleyrailroad.or...al-events.html

Ride an authentic huffing and puffing choo choo train and stop and experience the eclipse.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Oregon State Parks opened all up of their "overflow" camping sites (generally not available through Reserve America, who handle all the regular campsite bookings) this last Tuesday or Wednesday. They said there were another 1,000 or so campsites, and they sold out in less than 2 hours.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
We should institute a special "Eclipse tax" on all of those hotel rooms and campsites. Maybe we would be able to knock out the state budget deficit in one day!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Sumpter Valley Railroad (made possible with a lot of volunteer labor) has a special "Eclipse Express":

https://www.sumptervalleyrailroad.or...al-events.html

Ride an authentic huffing and puffing choo choo train and stop and experience the eclipse.
Wow! That sounds like a bucket list wonderful thing to do.

I was planning on observing the Eclipse from a lawn chair in my backyard, but that would be more than worth the drive to Sumpter

Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
Check out the Oregon Garden web page, they are going to have a lot going on out there in Silverton including dry camping on the garden grounds,,,, also check out the Salem -Keizer Volcano baseball web page, they are playing a game that starts just before and finishes after the eclipse.
We live on the 45th parallel line and will be watching from our front yard.
I think it will be fun to see how it all pans out with the crowds ect..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon