Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
So................we don't have uncontrolled growth and we do have the UGB , and our entire state hasn't become ruined with uncontrolled growth and hasn't been paved over.

And, yet people find Oregon so attractive that they want to move here in droves to eliminate the UGB and let uncontrolled growth ruin Oregon.

Yeah, that's frustrating and humorous all right!
THAT'S THE REAL ASS-HATTERY.

Tell you what, keep all that uncontrolled growth crap in Portland and leave the rest of the state alone will ya?

People are Not moving to Oregon in "droves". Stop the silliness.
What statistics show is that a small population state (Oregon) is gaining people at a greater % when compared to current population, than most others.

Hardly evidence of "droves" or uncontrolled growth. Such melodrama.

Further how would say 200 more people in the rural county you live possibly matter to you one way or the other?? You still got yours. Maybe 5 additional cars a day going down your rural road?

Sorry dude - they eventually will come - open the door and make some $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 07:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Can't speak for specific counties, but overall here are the population increases in Oregon and Washington from 2010-2016:

Oregon: 6.9%
Washington: 8.4%

So, both States are growing in droves. However, I would caution that with these percentages, WA will have gained millions over Oregon based on the existing population. Not necessarily a good thing for Washington, but these are the stats. Washington is expected to be close to 9 million by 2030.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-09-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
I always thought Oregon was a state that didn't want any newcomers moving to their state. Back in the 70's or 80's I remember hearing that at the state line entering Oregon there was a sign that welcomed visitors to Oregon but please don't move there, or something to that effect. I don't know if that's really true or not but that's what the word was around the country about Oregon 30 or 40 years ago. I'm always surprised when the Oregon population continues to increase.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I always thought Oregon was a state that didn't want any newcomers moving to their state. Back in the 70's or 80's I remember hearing that at the state line entering Oregon there was a sign that welcomed visitors to Oregon but please don't move there, or something to that effect. I don't know if that's really true or not but that's what the word was around the country about Oregon 30 or 40 years ago. I'm always surprised when the Oregon population continues to increase.
Oregon has had an anti-growth attitude since this Gov. Tom McCall quote in the early 70's:

http://www.nytimes.com/1973/05/07/ar...cism.html?_r=0

Some say that his proclamation reduced growth, but in reality not really. But it still exists as an underlying attitude today.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Oregon has had an anti-growth attitude since this Gov. Tom McCall quote in the early 70's:

http://www.nytimes.com/1973/05/07/ar...cism.html?_r=0

Some say that his proclamation reduced growth, but in reality not really. But it still exists as an underlying attitude today.
Thank you for posting that link. That's why I never considered Oregon as a place for me to move to, back when I was young and looking around for a state I thought I might like to live in.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 PM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
........... I'm always surprised when the Oregon population continues to increase.
That's because no one cares whether they are welcome or not. An amazingly large number of them think it doesn't apply to them personally, anyway.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't get it either, but people seem to love to move to places and then try and change it to more like the place they were escaping from. If you hate UGBs, the solution is so simple. LA is over 34,000 square miles of of uncontrolled growth. Less than 2% of it is still undeveloped, and the weather is a lot better. It should be a dream location for the anti-UGB people. But I suspect they don't really want to live in that environment. They just want to come to Oregon, ruin this state with their development, and then move on to the next place to destroy.
Or Houston. Lots of jobs there too. PLENTY. Weather not as nice as LA but cheap housing is available far as the eye can see.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Thank you for posting that link. That's why I never considered Oregon as a place for me to move to, back when I was young and looking around for a state I thought I might like to live in.
It's good to know that sometimes it works. Thanks for living somewhere else.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 AM

198 posts, read 344,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most of us who were born and raised in Oregon are quite familiar with having to move to another state for work. If we haven't experienced that ourselves, we know someone (family, friends, neighbors) who has. People were leaving Oregon just a few short years ago because there was no work here.
I had to leave PA for work 30 years ago after I graduated from college. The grads are STILL having to relocate. That's what happens when you don't want anything to change and your population ages. At least Pittsburgh has improved and innovated but one city doesn't define or carry a state, such as ...

Old 04-11-2017, 05:11 AM

198 posts, read 344,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't get it either, but people seem to love to move to places and then try and change it to more like the place they were escaping from. If you hate UGBs, the solution is so simple. LA is over 34,000 square miles of of uncontrolled growth. Less than 2% of it is still undeveloped, and the weather is a lot better. It should be a dream location for the anti-UGB people. But I suspect they don't really want to live in that environment. They just want to come to Oregon, ruin this state with their development, and then move on to the next place to destroy.
It's more like newcomers such as myself appreciating the state y'all purport to love, NOT trying to change anything, and, in fact, living happily in a part of the state many of you seem to find inferior and would never live anyway, while we still deal with your derision here. I haven't encountered it in RL.

Sorry that Portlandia is overcrowded and overpriced but I don't live anywhere near there. Not my fault or problem. Haven't visited it yet, either, not even the airport. I use SFO and take the train. For a state this physical size, however, that Portland is the largest and only major metro in the state really indicates that Oregon is far from over-developed, over-populated, and becoming a concrete jungle. So whether the rhetoric is hyperbole or asshattery, the impression it leaves is more or less the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon