Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times

Advertisements

I really don't know what the mad dash to relocate to Oregon is all about. Oregon ranks 118 in cost of living index, where 100 is the national average.

Portland-Vancouver area ranks at 8% higher than the national average in Housing, childcare and taxes. The only thing consistent through out Oregon that exceeds the national average is taxes.

Most of the metro areas* through out the state ranks above the national average, with the exception of Salem, which breaks even. These averages are based on Housing, Childcare, Taxes, Healthcare and Transportation.

*metro areas consist of populations greater then 100,000

Source: http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/d/d/Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Not everybody wants to move to Oregon.

Oregon has a high growth rate as a percentage of its population. However, it's a small state population wise.

Numerically far more people are moving to states that many here say are undesirable. For instance, in this century Florida has increased its population by more than Oregon's total population. Texas has increased its population by almost 2x Oregon's total population.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Haven't read all the way through this thread...but

interesting to note that my old county in CA (a rural one) is getting more than 16,000 more folks than Multnomah, bt there's so much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Portland influx...

it is really all relative, folks....
How big is your CA county compared to Multnomah County?

There are only two counties in California smaller than Multnomah, San Francisco and Santa Cruz.

If 16,000 people decided to move to one of those, believe me, people would be screaming!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Stewart Meadows Village is proposing to increase the height (4 stories) of its apartments and make 281 units. Another development near Barnett and N. Phoenix Rd. is being built next to a wetlands and there are several others along the eastern city limits. Renters tend to be transient so who will benefit from so much high density growth, other than the developers? For me, it isn't only about housing but their impact on quality of life. There is already Sec. 8 housing and senior housing available for those who are struggling. Can the limited, low paying jobs in Medford support the proposed developments which will probably be high rent?
Thirty years from now those apartments will be showing their age and will be available for a modest rent. If there is a housing shortage, the solution is to build more housing. I'm sure there are lots of people living in older housing that would love to move up to a modern, air conditioned apartment with all the modern amenities. That would take a lot of pressure off of lower cost apartments.

Don't try to pretend that increasing the rental supply doesn't benefit the tenants. They are the ones paying the bill for the shortage.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
How big is your CA county compared to Multnomah County?

There are only two counties in California smaller than Multnomah, San Francisco and Santa Cruz.

If 16,000 people decided to move to one of those, believe me, people would be screaming!
Nevada County is a County located in the Sierra Nevada of California. As of the 2010 census, the population was 98,764. .....

Multnomah County, Oregon - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_County,_Oregon
Multnomah County /məltˈnoʊmə/ is one of 36 counties in the U.S. state of Oregon. As of the 2010 census, the county's population was 735,334. ... would have formed a consolidated city-county government like that of San Francisco, California. ....

well, there ya go (I could have told you Nevada county is way smaller, than Portland- its a smallish hill town. But, whatever.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

The small midwestern towns I grew up in had volunteer, part time government but they were populated by men and women with fortitude and backbone. Those folks would never put up with the shenanagins Portland gov't leaders allow.

Is there something in the water here that causes men's testicles to shrivel up??

Looks like maybe Illinois is still waiting for you to come back & save it!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:10 PM

199 posts, read 217,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post

Looks like maybe Illinois is still waiting for you to come back & save it!
If I hated environment as passionately as he did, the last state I'd ever live in would be Oregon.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
If I hated environment as passionately as he did, the last state I'd ever live in would be Oregon.
Apparently the ability to debate is also in short supply here.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
These figures are fine. Nice growth, but not explosive.

Washington State is out performing Oregon in population in almost every arena, large, medium, and small. I could offer all the stats here, but they are available on line. The question becomes why Oregon is growing slower than Washington. Seriously, this is the main question.

If current trends continue Washington will be twice the population of Oregon by 2030.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-30-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,326 times
That's the law of small numbers, right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon