Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

If you are concerned with drug use, you should probably retire to Portugal. They legalized all recreational drugs and cut their addiction rate in half over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenRose View Post
There is a meth problem here, but as others have said, it's probably not unique to Oregon. Downtown Portland has had some problems with drug addicts, drunks, homeless, and aggressive vagrants, and there are some areas you'll want to avoid. But there are still many "livable" suburbs around the Portland Metro area. I guess a lot depends on how much of a buffer zone you need to feel comfortable.

We had a personal encounter with a group of meth heads that was very frightening to us, took us by surprise, and in retrospect, we realized we had been naive to not be more on guard. We learned a hard lesson about how to research people before you hire them to do manual labor around the farm. I don't want to go into more details than that. You do need to be on guard but that's true of almost any place. Sad, but true.

You might think about looking at specific retirement communities, too.

I disagree with commenters who have ridiculed your concerns. You are right to do a thorough evaluation before you decide on a retirement location. Good luck to you.

I agree with your comments and I will add. Many retiree's cannot afford to make a mistake when they relocate for retirement. They can no longer just pick up and leave if they make a mistake, as they could when they were younger. They have to get it right the first time, there is no turning back. So the research and the visiting has to take place. Sort of an interview on the area of interest. I also disagree with the commenters who have ridiculed the OP's concerns. They are I imagine not in the same age group, and not involved with the life decision a retiree is making.

I think for many moving to Oregon, can be an eye opener in the exposure dept. Meaning much is more open to public view especially in Portland. More so than where people may be moving from.

My best advice is really make the effort, to make a complete visit to the area's of interest. Visit cities and towns, look at neighborhoods that may be of interest to you. Visit stores and places of business you would be doing business with, should you live in a certain area. Talk to people, and ask questions about areas. One thing about the Metro areas of the state, is they are in many instances populated by young people. There are mixed ages, but the influx of young people in places such as Metro Portland, and Eugene is very obvious. So make sure areas such as that interest you, and that there will be enough amenities for you as you get older. Or will most amenities be primarily for the younger set. That is something you really have to consider. Are you going to be the forgotten resident, where you decide to retire to. I don't know maybe that is why all these retirement communities, are popping up all over the country. Connection in one's later years.

I think Oregon is a beautiful state, but personally I think for someone retired, that is not from there. Someone that doesn't have family or friends there. No past in the state. That Oregon can be a difficult place in locations, such as Portland and perhaps Eugene also. The population is just so young, you may feel out of place. The smaller towns especially near the coast seem to be popular for many retirees, and I think there is probably a reason for that.

I wish you the best of luck on your decision. And again a nice complete visit to Oregon is really the only way to go. The decision on where one retires, is such a major decision in one's life. You really have to get out there, and check things out for yourself.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 01-15-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,351 times
JimRob makes a great point that I had taken so for granted I forgot to mention it - youth. Portland Metro area has become the mecca for the cool and the hip. Personally, I find it highly annoying! Just one more reason I wish I could get away - to Idaho! We actually live in a nearby farming community so I don't have to put up with the hordes of cool kids too much, only when I have to go to town.

Have you thought about Eastern Oregon? The culture is MUCH different there and the weather is vastly better. I have also heard fantastic things about Coeur D'alene and Boise, Idaho.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
If we are talking to the OP, he decided on Florida way back in 2008 and hasn't posted in the thread since then - given what my friends in Florida tell me about meth there, he decided that meth users weren't that scary.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
If we are talking to the OP, he decided on Florida way back in 2008 and hasn't posted in the thread since then - given what my friends in Florida tell me about meth there, he decided that meth users weren't that scary.

I had no idea when I posted my comment, that this thread is from 2008 lol. Oh well maybe someone will benefit, from all of us posting in recent days.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
I know this is an old thread, but the idea of Microsoft having a serious meth problem made me giggle.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 PM

36 posts, read 66,437 times
Meth problems. Go to any part of the country, any county, any town, on City Data, and you see the same conversations regarding Meth. Live in a meth house neighborhood, or hang out with meth heads, then you will be impacted by meth. Don't and chances are very good that you will never know there is a possible meth problem. Used to be marijuana problems ruining towns, now it's meth. Tomorrow? Who knows.

Live lie with common sense and stop letting everyone scare you into an existence that keeps you locked down. As my son would say.....CHILL.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM

46 posts, read 74,184 times
When I moved to the coast of Oregon in 2006 this was indeed a problem. I never saw anything related to it though. We never saw any crime or anything. And there are gated communities you can live in that are very safe. In living in Otter Rock, Oregon from 2006 to 2013 the entire time, and I asked the sheriff, there was essentially no reported crime. I say essentially because there was one report of illegal burning, and a couple of reports of people that were suspicious, and some drunk drivers, but no crime related to meth or drugs, no car thefts, no burglaries, no assaults.

Shortly after I moved there they stopped selling the over the counter medicines that people needed to make meth.
And the problem dried up really fast after that. Is it still there? Yes, just as it is in every community in the entire country.
But there are no swarms of crazed meth heads running amuck. And Law Enforcement there is very, very professional both the Newport PD and the Lincoln County Sheriffs department.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM

17 posts, read 29,058 times
In my experience you know which of your neighbors are the "meth heads." Although in some smaller towns that can mean pretty much anyone you don't see eye to eye with who recently moved into town.

Meth is a problem sure, but I'm almost positive that legalized pot is going to fix a lot of that. People seem to use meth because they're stuck in small towns and bored. I've seen entire families that I grew up with deal with small town life by going down that route.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM

I think its a sad commentary on American society, that so many people are on Meth or whatever their on. I also think its sad that in many ways, drugs are becoming more acceptable in this country. Pot is just the beginning. I honestly could not be around people, that have to be all doped up to get thru their day. I had my fill of being around that element in Vietnam, and I was barely 19 at that time. I would have no problem telling the Meth users or whatever their on, if they imposed themselves anywhere around me. To stay the hell away from me, So I would have no problem with them, whether in Oregon or anywhere else.

OP if your set on Oregon and the Meth problems, are somewhat disabling your decision to make the move. Maybe my philosophy will help with your decision. Don't let anyone keep you from what you want to do in your life. If these people can't live in their small towns, and be productive without being doped up. Then they need to hit the road, or the law needs to pick them up. You have a right to live there to, without interference from them and their worthless behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon