Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
As someone who did obtain a teaching job in Oregon from out of state years ago, I also want to warn those thinking of doing such that Oregon is one of the more difficult states for an out-of-stater to obtain a license in. Unless it's changed (check DOE website for current regs) there is none or very little reciprocity.

Most out of staters I know were in a shortage area and were hired with the district requesting an emergency temporary license for the new hire. You'll have a certain length of time to obtain a regular license with requirements varying from person to person depending upon their education and experience.

Many out of staters, such as myself, get hired into very remote, rural districts. A lot of people have difficulty with how remote or small some of the towns are and don't last long. (Personally, I loved it and prefer it any day over a city school district.) It is usually easier to get into these types of districts rather than places such as Corvallis as there are fewer people willing to live in such remote places.

With the current budget and job issues, it is even more difficult for those out of state to get hired in given the increased supply of teachers already there.
States like Oregon are really asking for a court challenge on this reciprocity garbage. It is absolutely asinine for me, a Nevada teacher with six years experience and with a master's in Elementary Education, to be relegated to substitute status because of their idiotic requirements. I can't survive on sub pay; there aren't enough openings here for me to support myself. Classified teacher assistant jobs, which I am overqualified for, pay poverty wages and are usually part time. I am NOT going to effing start all over again at 57 to please these bean counters in Salem. The testing requirements are absolute garbage; they think that NCLB requires that elementary education teachers need to be masters of all subject areas when in fact they don't need it. They are actually geared to Oregon education school students ONLY I believe right before they student teach when they might actually be able to memorize the answers to the arcane questions others would find are right out of Trivial Pursuit. That's to guarantee NOBODY on the outside gets certified. It's pure idiocy. What you DO need knowledge of is child development, diversity, special education law, pedagogy, classroom management, individualized instruction, and so forth as was in the NTE, which I took some years ago. THOSE are the things that elementary education teachers need to be able to succeed in the classroom. I also have a credential in special education, which means nothing to the idiots at TSPC.

Because of NCLB, it is almost impossible for any out of state teacher to get a license in Oregon, even a "shortage area," because school districts will not even look at your application unless you have a valid Oregon license. I'd like to know how people ever got an initial license here, which the state is supposed to give you if you are out of state. Of course it is a lie because I have been demoted to sub, the absolute dregs of the profession. I am not able to move elsewhere at this time because I have been economically devastated. I have been forced to move in with relatives. What a horrible way to end a working career.

Meanwhile, the hypocrites at the state's colleges and TSPC expect "their" teachers to be able to move to other states with a minimum of roadblocks such as Washington, California, and Arizona. Disgusting. If the economy is that bad there are no teaching jobs, start discouraging people from going into teaching. Of course that means less money for TSPC , the colleges, and testing outfits like Pearson.

Somebody mentioned Oregon education is in a death spiral. I think TSPC is helping it along by deliberately keeping "outsiders" from moving to the state. TSPC apparently subscribes to the Tom McCall philosophy regarding outsiders. There is also the matter of colleges and test preparation outfits like Pearson which love the extra money poured into their coffers by impoverished, experienced out-of-state teachers.

Last edited by tonysam; 05-09-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
If it is so idiotic, don't come.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM

Read the other "Oregon Teaching" posts. This is not the place for new teachers. Yes bilinguals are bumping even tenured teachers in places like Salem, but the influx of illegals can't go on much longer and the demand will go with them back to their countries of origin.

P.S. Not all of the bilingual positions to teach illegals are Spanish fluency. We have a lot of Ukrainian and other Eastern Europe illegal’s here.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 52,499 times
Default Teaching in Portland

I am considering retiring early where I live and relocating to the Portland area with my husband (who is from there).. What I would like to hear about is..does it seem that the area hires more young.less experienced and therefore less expensive teachers..or would an oldie but goodie get a chance. I am sure it is hard to tell for sure...but if any teachers have seen what is happening at their schools, I would appreciate hearing.

Thank you!
Suejulene

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suejulene View Post
I am considering retiring early where I live and relocating to the Portland area with my husband (who is from there).. What I would like to hear about is..does it seem that the area hires more young.less experienced and therefore less expensive teachers..or would an oldie but goodie get a chance. I am sure it is hard to tell for sure...but if any teachers have seen what is happening at their schools, I would appreciate hearing.

Thank you!
Suejulene
I am not a teacher but out of the hundreds of teachers who routinely get laid off, those are the ones who get hired back when the trickle of rehires are called back. This is according to my teacher friends.

For example, a friend who has been teaching in the Beaverton school district for the past 15 years told me about 300-400 layoffs over the past two years. Out of those maybe ten teachers were needed back. Only teachers who had been layed off were even considered. She believes that's pretty much the rule all over. Unless of course there is always the possibility someone gets lucky.

Teaching is one of those jobs you just don't count on getting when you relocate to Oregon.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
... ... Unless of course there is always the possibility someone gets lucky.

Teaching is one of those jobs you just don't count on getting when you relocate to Oregon.
My Neice was one of those. Got her certificate and went right to work in North Bend. Still there even after several layoffs. I think some of it has to do with performance.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
My friend who teaches in the Beaverton school district is also one who considers herself lucky. She is happy she wasn't one of the many layoffs. She is an excellent teacher who has always gone above and beyone the normal classroom duties. She has taken kids on field trips by begging sponsorships from local businesses and chaperones from friends.

I don't know if things like that counted towards her being able to keep her job but she really is dedicated.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Somewhere in the bowels of the school system I am sure there is someone watching performance. They just can't say anything about it because of the unions.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
My Neice was one of those. Got her certificate and went right to work in North Bend. Still there even after several layoffs. I think some of it has to do with performance.
Unfortunately in many places the only time performance is considered is when time in service is equal. Otherwise, those with the most seniority are usually called back first. The reason I say usually is that is almost always a part of the staff contracts as negotiated by districts and the union.

If it were up to me, it would be entirely performance. Fortunately, Oregon has made greater strides in this area over the last several years compared with many other states. I've spent roughly equal time in the classroom and in admin in my career, and it is imperative that bad teachers are gotten out of the classroom. Unfortunately, it is much easier said than done.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 AM

5 posts, read 52,499 times
I agree about getting rid of those who just sit on their laurels and don't continue to do their best job..and improve as changes come along...which they will. I am just hopeful that I would be able to get a job out there either in Portland or Vancouver. My husband is from there and it is time that we went "home."
Thank you for all of your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon