Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,885 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to get studded tires.... However I hear that November 1 the tire shops are VERY BUSY!!

When should the frenzy die down... and for that matter when would be the best time to get a "deal" on a set of studded snow tires?

Thanks,
Steve
Bend, OR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Yup, first of the season is busy. If the weather is still mild, after the first week or two the "frenzy" is usually over.
Best time to get a deal is at the end of the season!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Sometimes i see studded tires fer sale on Craigslist. Some say, slightly used.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM

462 posts, read 1,708,072 times
I'm new to Bend and was wondering if studded snow tires is really the way to go and if you really need them? I never had them in 12 years living in SW Montana but ice was not a huge issue for me. In Bend, I'm thinking that may be a different situation. What is recommended? Studs? Just traction tires or all seasons? I just read an article about all of the above but it didn't really say what is best for this area. Anyone want to weigh in? I am hoping to get over the pass to the Salem area off and on this winter so if that helps you with helping me.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
I'm not a big fan of studded tires, they do allot of damage to the roads, an alternative to studded tires is having your tires sipped. Siping a tire is having lines cut into the tread this process creates much better traction on rainy or icy surfaces, it also allows the tires to run cooler during the summer.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,533 times
If you're going to be going over Santiam pass then get studs on all 4's. That's a trecherous highway and snow and ice are very common. (You'll also need a set of chains for backup.)

Cascade snow is not at all like Rocky Mtn snow. It's much wetter and slicker.

The next best thing is dedicated winter tires.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM

462 posts, read 1,708,072 times
thanks davefr, having never driven over OR passes in the winter I have no way of knowing. I do already have chains so I'm good there, but was more worried about the every day ice and the occasional trip over the pass to the wet side of the mountains to go truffle hunting this winter. Was also wondering if the studs were necessary. Huge cost I wasn't expecting, snow tires etc. I never imagined they'd be so expensive!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
thanks davefr, having never driven over OR passes in the winter I have no way of knowing. I do already have chains so I'm good there, but was more worried about the every day ice and the occasional trip over the pass to the wet side of the mountains to go truffle hunting this winter. Was also wondering if the studs were necessary. Huge cost I wasn't expecting, snow tires etc. I never imagined they'd be so expensive!
It's an upfront expense but you're spreading the wear over two sets of tires instead of one set and optimizing the tire's seasonal performace in the process. (and your own safety!!)

Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
I'm new to Bend and was wondering if studded snow tires is really the way to go and if you really need them? I never had them in 12 years living in SW Montana but ice was not a huge issue for me. In Bend, I'm thinking that may be a different situation. What is recommended? Studs? Just traction tires or all seasons? I just read an article about all of the above but it didn't really say what is best for this area. Anyone want to weigh in? I am hoping to get over the pass to the Salem area off and on this winter so if that helps you with helping me.
Many Oregon passes are designated as Snow Zones by the DOT and have specific tire requirements for vehicles.

See TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT for complete info including maps and current conditions.

You don't have to wait for snow to have issues in the passes. There have already been several instances of roads becoming quite slippery due to black ice at elevation.

A set of studded snow tires may be an unforeseen expense, but the peace of mind they'll bring is well worth the price.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,885 times
I went and got a set of 4 studded snow tires.... I also have 2 sets of rims I purchased an extra set from someone when I purchased my Tundra.
Now I will have 2 sets of tires for easy change-over... I would suggest that anyone wanting studded snow tires to have then on a extra "nice" set of rims (remember you will be driving with them 5 months of the year)... The cost of having the tires switched over 2 times a year + the inconvenience will pay for it's self in just a short period of time.

SNOW TIRES are softer rubber than normal tires.... this makes them better for COLD weather.... The problem is obvious.... they wear faster... and if you leave them on year round the Heat from summer will really make them wear fast.

My snow tires already had the siping done.

I went to the tire shop at 11:30 on 11/11/09 and the place was real busy.... said it would take 1 to 1 1/2 hours..... at 12:30 there was no customers in the shop (Lunch time) and at 1pm my truck was done... and there was only a few customers in the shop.... So I would say to go in a little before 1pm as this may be the best time for the least amount of wait time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon