Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM

41 posts, read 97,734 times

Advertisements

Looking for a school to attend within 20 minutes of OIA. Any opinions or ideas? School needs to be accredited and credits transferrable.

I work full time so evening classes are a must.Have been checking around and most evening classes are 5 days a week most start around 6 and some go as late as 11!! Totally unrealistic to think I could hold up to that for a year and a half.( not lazy, I get up at 3:30 to go to work )

Anyn input would be extremely helpful.TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM

16 posts, read 35,295 times
Default Surgical Tech schools

For any vocational training, your best bet would be County Technical schools...check out Reinventme.net....

Orlando Tech(orlandotech.ocps.net) on amelia street downtown orlando,has Surgical Technology (not 20 mins by any stretch from oia)....they are reputable and properly accredited..STAY AWAY from: Anthem College/Formerly High Tech Institute/Americare School of Nursing

High Tech had their dental assistant course shut down mid-class by the State a few years ago, because of accreditation problems, Americare School of Nursing is overpriced, with idiot teachers(mine outright refused to pronounce multi-syllabic words, due to her regional "accent")

Florida is home to many private schools with credits that are non-transferrable..Hello Everest a.k.a F.M.U!

..have known people that attended F.M.U and graduated with a Bachelor's degree whose credits werent transferrable...they had to start over from scratch! if they wanted to transfer to another school

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM

41 posts, read 97,734 times
Default Thanks

Wow, I asked the guy I spoke with at Everest if credits were transferrable and he said yes.

All of the schools I spoke with were pretty aggressive. High pressure sales. Not to my liking.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 35,295 times
Default surgical tech

yeah, Florida is rife with for-profit private schools that may be accredited by a particular agency for the coursework they offer...but those "credits" arent always transferrable to a regular college....

FMU/Everest is VERY HIGH SALES/Aggressive along with Anthem College/formerly High Tech Institute...

Be very careful..find out what agencies issue the accreditation for the type of program you want...and if those credits will be transferable to a traditional 4 year college...Do not depend on the Recruiter's word, as they do lie...

Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM

82 posts, read 154,640 times
Your best schools are the local community colleges. I know Valencia has Radiography...

There's also the Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences - they have a lot of programs available.

I would steer clear of all of those expensive, private programs. They are usually not accreditated and cost a fortune. You want to go to a school that is about learning, not a sales pitch. I go to Seminole State for Health Information and a lot of the program is online, which is great for people who have to work. I know many colleges are now doing the same, providing online classes in addition to or instead of on-campus ones.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM

36 posts, read 73,116 times
I agree with Iris. I graduated from the X-ray program at Brevard Community College in 2001, and am currently a clinical instructor for three community colleges in New Jersey. It is a great career, but don't sign up with the high pressure sales programs. They take your money and give you a half-rate education. Maybe work on the prerequisites in your spare time and prepare to take the community college route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando