Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Not sure how WDW with a local workforce of only 60,000 is the "sustenance" of Orlando? Are they the largest employer sure, but they are no longer single handedly responsible for Orlando's job market strength or growth. Actually, WDW is the largest single site employer in the US and even with a loss that grave, I believe Orlando could continue to function not only as a city but also as a prime destination with Universal, Sea World, convention business plus not to mention all the places locals work, visit, and spend money unrelated to the parks.
Sustenance is not limited to just workforce. How many tourist dollars are brought in each year b/c Disney is in Orlando ? How many restaurants see increased business b/c of Disney ? Off-property hotels ? Condo rentals ? Transportation ? Airport use ?

The list goes on and on ... and IMO, Orlando would never survive w/o Disney. How many jobs would be lost if Disney pulled out ? 60,000 ? Many more than that ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I agree with the mass transit answer. we need a system with multiple hubs and spokes so things can be reached with out cars.

We need politicians that go to jail when they break the law.

We need better zoning - where someone doesn't decide to let a building occupy the roadway (South and Magnolia) and trashy homes can't be built next to elegant places.

We need police that work on crime instead of tickets.

That's my short list.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I agree with the mass transit answer. we need a system with multiple hubs and spokes so things can be reached with out cars.

We need politicians that go to jail when they break the law.

We need better zoning - where someone doesn't decide to let a building occupy the roadway (South and Magnolia) and trashy homes can't be built next to elegant places.

We need police that work on crime instead of tickets.

That's my short list.
Seriously?

Traffic enforcement is what keeps us from going "Mad Max". Until you can convince everyone that automated autos are the way to go, you will always need traffic enforcement. That is not just an Orlando problem.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Seriously?

Traffic enforcement is what keeps us from going "Mad Max". Until you can convince everyone that automated autos are the way to go, you will always need traffic enforcement. That is not just an Orlando problem.

Mad Max? Really?

If we are that close to anarchy then the police are not able to contain that.

We have a situation where police are hired only because they can generate revenue for the state by creating massive fines on people for what can be fairly nominal infractions. Don't even try to tell me you have never been caught in a situation where a light changed on you and was maybe not so yellow once you went through... and that is worth $262? Give me a break!

The police are not set up to prevent "Mad Max" but as fund raisers.

Are you safer because of that? Apparently no because of the increase in the accidents at stop lights with cameras.

Police just put little effort in solving rapes, burglaries, arsons, and so forth because there is no money in it. Do you feel safer knowing this? Where would you rather the focus be? on fund raising or crime elimination? I'd vote for the later.

So these great fund raisers are spending $250,000ea of our money installing cameras at lights. They buy all sorts of fancy cars for blending in. Do we really need Mustang GT's?, Toyota Tacoma's, and all the other undercover cars in order to catch people speeding? Seriously?

Give me a break! The state needs to stop wasting money, then they wouldn't have such a need to fund raise!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
The city/county seem pretty corrupt. The Orange County Mayor Jacobs turned out to be another disappointment..no serious spending cuts and just more big projects. We did not get any break in our taxes and the school tax went up. I don't see any serious attempt to get companies to relocate here and we pander to Disney. Orlando reflects Florida...service economy, retired people, tourists...corrupt inept government.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Mad Max? Really?

Give me a break! The state needs to stop wasting money, then they wouldn't have such a need to fund raise!
An this is an Orlando specific problem how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
corrupt inept government.
Try living in Miami...

Granted this is not an Orlando specific problem... It's a problem with having money in government. By that I mean the need for fundraising and the circumstances where politicians profit from such fundraising. Get election fundraising out of the equation and that will solve some big problems.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 PM

10 posts, read 22,017 times
Orlando needs more urban development.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Don't act as if Orlando doesn't have any issues. No city is perfect. What problems do you think Orlando has?

I think Orlando was poorly developed. This is my opinion and the opinions of many others.
From what I see, it seems some Orlando natives dont want any growth and fear Orlando becoming a bigger city (more people, more traffic) There is the pro progress vs anti progress arguments, but I think that is in every city forum. Orlando does have the pro-tourist vs anti-tourist argument. Some people seem to resent all the theme parks and the people who visit Orlando for that sole purpose. Downtown is dead and I Drive is alive and running so you see the pro downtown crowd vs the theme parks. At the same time MCO is a great airport. Orlando has the starter version of Sunrail with 4 more stations coming online. Many users say Lynx needs some work. TOLLS are a huge problem, but I think I understand why they are there and who is supposed to fall into the TOLL Traps. Orlando also seems really disconnected from the Space Coast and visa versa, not sure what could fix that.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
From what I see, it seems some Orlando natives don't want any growth and fear Orlando becoming a bigger city (more people, more traffic) There is the pro progress vs anti progress arguments, but I think that is in every city forum.
It isn't so much about growth in general as it is about the type of growth. Orlando has had a long history of sprawl development, much of which involves nearly empty/empty strip retail centers which are obviously not part of what one would call responsible development and confusing that with "progress" is a major part of the problem.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:41 PM

146 posts, read 220,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
From what I see, it seems some Orlando natives dont want any growth and fear Orlando becoming a bigger city (more people, more traffic) There is the pro progress vs anti progress arguments, but I think that is in every city forum. Orlando does have the pro-tourist vs anti-tourist argument. Some people seem to resent all the theme parks and the people who visit Orlando for that sole purpose. Downtown is dead and I Drive is alive and running so you see the pro downtown crowd vs the theme parks. At the same time MCO is a great airport. Orlando has the starter version of Sunrail with 4 more stations coming online. Many users say Lynx needs some work. TOLLS are a huge problem, but I think I understand why they are there and who is supposed to fall into the TOLL Traps. Orlando also seems really disconnected from the Space Coast and visa versa, not sure what could fix that.

Downtown isn't dead though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando